Idea of how to make getting through gates with cows around.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
This has been an issue over the years at times like in winter when cows come to the gate when you try to go through with a truck or tractor to feed them. I haven't done this but thought about it the other day after dealing with it with some cows and calves on another farm. My idea is to make a another fenced in area big enough to get a truck and trailer or tractor and wagon in. Pull through the first gate and close it then open the second one and the cattle will be behind it and if they come through that gate the main one at the road will be already shut. I know it would be a little more expense and take out a little pasture but would seem like it would make winter feeding easier. In the grazing months anybody could just leave the second gate open so as not to have to get out of vehicle again.

Brute 23 said:
Cattle guard

We have had some of those for a right of way passage through our farm. In that situation what we had did not work, constantly getting the sides knocked out and the guard itself would get filled up with mud frequently. I finally just fenced off both sides of the drive to stop the headache. In some cases they may work and if so I would love it.

Ky hills said:
Brute 23 said:
Cattle guard

We have had some of those for a right of way passage through our farm. In that situation what we had did not work, constantly getting the sides knocked out and the guard itself would get filled up with mud frequently. I finally just fenced off both sides of the drive to stop the headache. In some cases they may work and if so I would love it.

If they will hit the side of a cattle guard they will hit the side of a gate... no difference.

Sounds like maybe some thing was not installed correctly. They sit almost 12" off ground. That's a lot of mud. Some people bury them which is not right and they fill in quick.

There are a gazillion of them all over Texas and I'm sure other states also.

Brute 23 said:
Ky hills said:
Brute 23 said:
Cattle guard

If they will hit the side of a cattle guard they will hit the side of a gate... no difference.

Sounds like maybe some thing was not installed correctly. They sit almost 12" off ground. That's a lot of mud. Some people bury them which is not right and they fill in quick.

There are a gazillion of them all over Texas and I'm sure other states also.

You are correct, they hit gates too, that's why I had the field split and fenced off both sides. You are also correct in that it was installed wrong it was flush with the ground and I doubt it was near 12" dug out either. They were put in probably around 40 years ago by the folks that had the right of way. It was nothing but a problem the whole time. If it were done like you describe it would likely work. It's away from our house and not visible from ours or from the folks with the right of way. They wanted a gate at the road but trespassers kept tearing them up. One point somebody apparently tried to ram their way through the gate.

The cattle guards should sit on cement runners so they should actually be 10-12" above ground level. You should have to put a little rock material on each side to ramp up to them.

A lot of people still put a gate over them as back up but at least they won't get by you while you go thru or if your going in a pasture you can leave it open until you come back thru and shut the gate for the day.

KY, I built what you described at a place I had that was right on a busy State hwy. I was afraid they would get out on that road and since I was always by myself I couldn't take the chance. I built mine big enough to also store hay in and to keep the tractor in. It worked very well to keep the animals off of you and your vehicle even if your weren't going all the way into the pasture. I graveled mine after I got stuck one cold night.

I've done something similar with electric wire.I already had the electric wire nearby so it wasn't a big expense.A couple steel posts,corners,handle,a little wire and some 9 ply string.
I even built a grain feeding pen last winter this way.Close the gap during the day and you didn't get run over trying to put grain in the troughs.

Hmmm, interesting. My only problem is with weaned calves but that's only for 2-4 months out of the year. I just keep bumping the gate with the grill of my Polaris, pushing them back, and jump out to shut the gate once it's just past the bed. If any of them follow me back to the gate when I leave I throw some cubes on the ground.

Brute, I wish all our cattle guards were like that! But some of them were installed prob 30 years ago, way before we bought the ranch. We've made improvements but still have to pull 'em and dig out the dirt/mud/debris about every 3 years.

A $25 Red Rider BB gun will work wonders at the gate. Buy the youth model it's shorter and easier to carry in the truck.

Latest posts