I think I found the problem

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
My old Chamberlain tractor wouldn't go into 2nd and 3rd gears, 1st and reverse were OK but when moved across the gate it wouldn't move up into 2nd or 3rd. My neighbour who was driving it for me doing some deep ripping of my oats paddock with my Keyline plow decided he wanted a project so pulled it down for me ready to lift the gearbox out. When he drained the gearbox oil there was not a drop in it, the gears were running dry. I had the gearbox out of it about 12 years ago to fix a broken set screw connecting the forks to the selector shaft. I have a feeling that I forgot to fill it with oil when I put it back together, even though it was 12 years ago I can't remember doing it so it has been running on dry since. It seems remarkably healthy in there, tough old girl. It doesn't get a lot of work but when it does it is pretty heavy stuff pulling 5 tynes 14" deep through virgin ground. When I 1st got the tractor about 15 years ago I changed all the oils in the gearboxes and diff and final drives but gave up even checking after that as it was like an oil well under her as the oil immediately receded to the level of the lowest oil seal in each box or diff. If the oil had leaked out it would still have had oil in it as once you get down to the lowest seal there is nowhere else for it to leak out so I guess I am guilty as charged. I think the current problem is just the selector shaft is seized up but while it is out I will put new seals in it and maybe look at the bearings. A bit of oil might even quieten that whining noise it gets in 3rd gear at speed.

KenP1030216.JPGP1030219.JPG

Is that a C670?

I had never heard of Chamberlain before, had to look them up.
Yes it is, they have a sleeved down Perkins 6354 to be about 305 cu inch motor, don't quote me on those figures. Chamberlains were made after the war in Western Australia to give a bit bigger tractor for the grain cropping areas and were very highly regarded. John Deere bought them out in the mid 80's I think. I think they did rebadge the later Chamberlain but then discontinued them to put forward their own brand into the cropping areas.
This old girl is a very tough tractor and doesn't owe me anything, very economical to run. It won't take 20 litre of diesel after a full day of slow deep ripping. I am sure I will get the problem sorted with a bit of lubricant this time and have her running again. I will try and do something with some leaky O rings on the injector pump while she is laid up as well.

Ken

Latest posts