Hydraulic drive hay-bine. Any one run one?

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
I just had an impulse buy at an auction last weekend and brought home a New Holland 499 haybine. It is hydraulic drive 12' center pivot pull type hay-bine. Any comments on good or bad experiences with similar hay-bines will be appreciated!

I picked this one up at an auction for a song and upon getting it home and hooking it up to a tractor realized it had some problems. All the moving parts and bearings are in good shape but the hydraulic drive motor was leaking oil like a sieve and the oil level was too low to run anything. Hopefully it's just a seal on the hyd. motor and the oil level got too low and the owner was just a dum8As$ but we'll see.
haybine_erase_006.JPG

Actually it is aleady set up to run on pto power for the hydraulics but the pto pump is the one that is leaking like crazy so hopefully it is just a seal on the end of the pump that is leaking but I doubt it.

Actually it is aleady set up to run on pto power for the hydraulics but the pto pump is the one that is leaking like crazy so hopefully it is just a seal on the end of the pump that is leaking but I doubt it.

I think that hay-bine has an enclosed hydraulic system with the oil reserve in the tounge and that the pto pump runs the cutter, your tractor hydraulics lift the cutter and swings it from side to side !! If the pump is run very much with a bad seal or low on oil it will quickly ruin the case that holds the bearing and the seal and you can buy a new pump for about what it will cost to fix it, I have seen it several times !! I hope that this is not the problem here ??? I wish you good luck. 101

They were not real popular because when the oil would heat up they would slow down. If you bought it right you won't be out much if you don't like it. They worked, it just depends on how much you got to cut and like everything else I'm sure some guys got along fine. If the pump wants to blow seals you might try putting a case drain from the seal cavity to relieve pressure.

Larry

Finally had a decent day today when I was home during daylight and took the pump off the haybine. Good oilfield trick I learned in this picture to remove a tight fitting in the field.
haybinepump_002.JPG

The oil was leaking out of the front of the pump where it hooks onto the tractor PTO
haybinepump_003.JPG

I took the front of the pump off and it was a planetary gearset which slid over the shaft of the hydraulic pump.
haybinepump_004.JPG

The caged-baLL bearing bearing that was behind the seal was SLIGHTLY worn but everythingelse was tight. The planetary gearset recieves oil from a small orifice from the main hyd. pump and has a drain hose feeding back to the resiviour. I am going to replace the ball bearing and seal on the planetary housing and I bet she will be mowing some hay for me in a couple months! Any ideas or suggestions and I'm listening, thanks!

Sam Adams is good stuff,......but unfortunately it surpasses the $6.00-per-12-pack cost of oil patch beer.

actually the per 12-pack cost of oil patch beer has risen substantially. It is now up to $12.50 which includes Samuel Adams. Interesting but true.

I saw your post on the 499 and was wondering how it turned out for you. The 499 haybines have been turning up often for sale and some of them are in pretty good shape. I bought one that i used last year but it had problems in thick hay and I have been wanting to have the pump checked but haven't got to it yet.

Mine works great for what I do. I only mow about 20 acres 3 times a year and I definitely don't set any speed records on first cutting. It doesn't like real thick stuff the reel slows down and it can plug the conditioners since it's a 12' cutter with only 9' conditioner rollers. It handles thinner 2nd and 3rd cutting much better. Mine was in pretty rough shape but I only paid $900 for it and have put very little into it. I love the center pivot it's nice for the irregular shaped fields I cut.

I think the haybines show up at sales as folks went to disc mowers. Some are just wore out more then others fbefpre they switched.

I've got a Hesston PY10 setting that works but I don't use it. And it's too much trouble to haul to the scrapper. Same deal, old equipment ends up at the auction, scrapper or Craig's List.

Latest posts