HOW OLD?

Help Support CattleToday:

When I was a tot as soon as I could run I'd stuff the corner of a dishtowel down the back of my pants for a horse tail. Had my fortune told as a teenager by an Oriental method and it came true.

The silent mountain
The joyous lake
Many horses and cattle
Great good fortune.

You'll be like Jeanne TC, never an old fart.

Ken
Many years ago, in a world military history class, I asked the instructor what was the difference between a fort and a fortress. Right or wrong, he explained that out in the front of many military installations during the 1600s thru 1800s a short wall stuck out in front of the tall primary wall. It would consist of a short wall or parapet, of logs laid down horizontally or a short stone wall, about 'breast high'. Predictably called 'breastworks'. This was for archers, lancers and later, rifle marksman to shoot from behind. "If the installation had breastworks, it was a fortress. If not, it was a fort"

Stands to reason then, wouldn't that description of TC and Jeanne be more accurately described as an 'old fartress'?

Last edited:
When I was a tot as soon as I could run I'd stuff the corner of a dishtowel down the back of my pants for a horse tail. Had my fortune told as a teenager by an Oriental method and it came true.

The silent mountain
The joyous lake
Many horses and cattle
Great good fortune.
A frog once felt dejected, rejected and depressed about his position in the pond and his solitary life in general whereas no one seem to care he was even alive so he decided to visit a fortune teller to see if things might later improve...

She peered into the tea leaves, threw the Kau Chim sticks down, looked into the cloudy crystal ball and told him things would indeed change very much. A pretty girl would carefully select him, & that she would show great interest in him and want to know all about him.
Froggy was absolutely elated..

"Will I meet her in the pond or over in the swamp?

The old oracle frowned a little and said,
"Well, actually, you'll meet her in a junior highschool biology class...."

dissection.jpg

My first F100 was a '59 2wd
For many years, my father drove a light blue1960 F100. It is the truck I remember most from my youth asI learned to drive in it. . By the time he gave it up in late'69, it was physically in pretty bad shape, but mechanically sound..EXCEPT for the front suspension. You didn't drive it..you herded it down the road. .
Came with no radio and no heater. He put his own radio and heater in, but used a 6v or 8v heater fan motor. When he turned it own, it screamed and blew hot air out like crazy, and produced a terrible amount of static in the AM radio he put in without the resistor on the generator. Built near Dallas Tx, it had an lariat oval sticker on the back window that said "Built in Texas by Texans". 6 cyl 3 spd on the column.
builtintexas.jpg

Somewhere, I have a picture of him and me, a scrawny goofy looking kid standing by that truck.
Maybe can find it.

Last edited:
60f100dondad.jpg

We had steel cattle frames on it by this time above, but a few years earlier, they were wood.
It's on the far left in this pic from 1961. Taken in front of my father's old auto shop. We worked on some real classics in that shop, except they weren't 'classics' then.

1961jonesrd.jpg

For many years, my father drove a light blue1960 F100. It is the truck I remember most from my youth asI learned to drive in it. . By the time he gave it up in late'69, it was physically in pretty bad shape, but mechanically sound..EXCEPT for the front suspension. You didn't drive it..you herded it down the road. .
Came with no radio and no heater. He put his own radio and heater in, but used a 6v or 8v heater fan motor. When he turned it own, it screamed and blew hot air out like crazy, and produced a terrible amount of static in the AM radio he put in without the resistor on the generator. Built near Dallas Tx, it had an lariat oval sticker on the back window that said "Built in Texas by Texans". 6 cyl 3 spd on the column.

It sounds like there are a few people here who are too young to remember the after market AC you could buy for vehicles back around the late 60's.

View attachment 25388

Somewhere, I have a picture of him and me, a scrawny goofy looking kid standing by that truck.
Maybe can find it.
Mine had a factory heater. Was also 223 6cyl w that ol glass bowl one bbl carb and 3 on the tree. I went thru every hydraulic part of the brakes and clutch. Thing would stop on a dime!

Mom had a red 59. Hers was a 2 speed ford-o-matic! With a factory am radio and ELECTRIC wipers! But still the 6 cylinder.

Neither had a/c. Tho my 71 had underdash air that worked great!

Those things were sure easy to work on and FANTASTIC trucks for doing just about anything.

Good times.
Good times!

He wouldn't put a hang on ac in his truck but did for my mother's car. It was in the way if we went on a long trip and all 6 of went, but my little sis usually sat in the middle of the front seat. In '66 my father bought a brand new Rambler station wagon with factory air and we thought we were really in high cotton. Dad complained about how much gas it burned tho.

Those things were sure easy to work on and FANTASTIC trucks for doing just about anything.
I can remember, about 1968, we did a valve job on that truck, and brother and I were both IN the engine compartment, one on each side and standing on the ground working on the rocker arms setting valves.

I can remember, about 1968, we did a valve job on that truck, and brother and I were both IN the engine compartment, one on each side and standing on the ground working on the rocker arms setting valves.
Been there too!!
Amazing. I forgot all about that. That was back when my grandpa was still around. We never did get the tic tic tic to go away but she always ran great. Wish I had some pics of the ol girl. I drove that thing all over northern Oklahoma and people thought I was crazy. Guess that was back in the mid to late 90s.

If I never see points and condensers again I will be happy! You can also add vacuum wipers and bias ply tires to the list.

Latest posts