How long?

Help Support CattleToday:

Like I said before don't let science , peer reviewed research or historical facts get in the way of your opinion.
Believe what you want. Believe that the earth is flat because you have never been in space to see if it is round or flat. It won't change the facts.
Show me evidence that the mini cattle of today have been bred as mini's for thousands of years. The people of old raised cattle for meat not pleasure so anything that didn't grow was culled not bred.

Show me evidence that the mini cattle of today have been bred as mini's for thousands of years. The people of old raised cattle for meat not pleasure so anything that didn't grow was culled not bred.
Check back several posts. It's an interesting read.

I don't know about "thousands" of years, but after reading the article it's less hard to believe.

You actually have to open your eyes and look and read what I have posted. It's All there , but continue to walk around with your hands over you eyes and continue to cry I can't see , I can't see🙄
And this changes the facts how?🙄
You can lead a horse to water but you can make him drink!

Frame size has always been selected by location. Jersey cows were developed on Isle of Jersey to fit environment as were Brown Swiss, Simmental and Holstein Friesians on the European continent. In 1970 Curtiss breeding service promoted Milu Bettey Ivanhoe Chief as 1 of only a few bulls in America from a cow weighing a ton! Today you can go to any sale barn and see Holstien slaughter cows every week weighing well over a ton.

The sale barn I go to posted yesterday there are 3-4 highlands that will be for sale. I don't believe they are minis but they are going to be in the small animal sale. 😆

In less than 24 hours there were over 90 comments on that post from people interested and that is about 10x the amount of posts that they get on 'normal' cattle. I haven't been keeping track but it seems like that has been par for the course for awhile now.

A huge difference between a heritage breed and a miniature. I remember very well the cattle of the early 1960's. Not the 300lb dwarfs of today
You have to take the blinders off to see.
Changing the topics won't help either.
Dwarfism is a genetic mutation.
Most widely accepted definition of "mini" is a cow that is 42 inches or shorter at the hooks at the age of 24 months regardless of weight.
So continue to remain blind to what is right in front of you.

One last comment.
Try sending a pot load of the mini's to a feed yard. I'm betting you can't get a feed yard to accept them for free.

You're correct, however probably every person that is buying a mini isn't looking at it from your perspective. They're not in the beef business and profit is not a consideration.

You're correct, however probably every person that is buying a mini isn't looking at it from your perspective. They're not in the beef business and profit is not a consideration.
Back to my original post, when they get tired of feeding them the genetics will still be out there. And anyone that doesn't believe it's a fad are wearing the blinders.

Still not the minitures of today
4081260C-966F-4B8F-90B7-226EDD4C0EDE.jpeg
So which on of these highlands in this pic from cattle drove in Scotland in the late 1970-early 1980s don't fit the definition of "mini"?
By the way this is the second time I have posted this pic in this thread.

You wouldn't know a highland or highland cross cow if it smacked you in the face ,regardless of size

Latest posts