How do you market your cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

You all have got me curious to check my sale barn receipts at the house to see what our barn does. I've sold a single heifer private treaty and two steer and a cull at the sale barn after they wouldn't sell for what I asked on FB.. Only asking 1.35 cwt (rough avg. last spring).. they sold at the barn for 1.48 and 1.53 so I wasn't upset. I broke even on the cull.. bought a pair for 865 that she couldn't make enough milk, thought I could condition her back to it.. I could not. Sold bottle calf for 350 PT and got 526 for the cow at the barn (skinny cow, tested negative for Johnes, just bm and couldn't graze well I reckon).. a lesson learned at not much expense other than time and diesel..
Do you go to the stockyard at Weston?

Do you go to the stockyard at Weston?
Yes, I have sold at Weston and bought everything else at Buckhannon or private treaty. I'm still fresh Kenny, but seem that Weston is more paced to buying/selling feeders and Buckhannon has a better haul for replacements imho

CJ Helmick out of the Buckhannon stockyards is a really good guy and he helped me out starting off, so I try to support their barn when I can

Down here, the auctioneer will call out the name ( like Hardy Bulls) or number ( like 35), or both ( like Jones 49B), of whoever bought them, and a pen name or number to the boys in back, if it is a buyer that is getting up a big load. No one knows who a seller is on weigh cattle. On head cattle, the auctioneer will usually ask who owns it, and if the owner is there and wants to stand up and speak about it, it will usually bring more. Sometimes the auctioneer might know who owned it, if a trader bought out a herd or something, and brought them to the sale.

Latest posts