How do I make people feel welcome?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
We are buying an existing business and I really want people to feel like we appreciate their business. I have had a couple of people tell me that they went there in the past and the people were not very friendly. (I have also heard it the other way that the ladies were nice.) How is the best way to make someone feel welcome? What do you like to hear or see when you go into a store?

OK I like to have people look me in the eye and say "Hello" It is much better to ask "How are you today?" then say "May I help you?" I have noticed that people are more likely to respond to that. Both can be a greeting though. Staff that knows where things are and not just pointing you in a vague direction.

I will not shop at Home Depot due to terrible service the only three times I went in there. The last time I had been calling around to find a replacement piece to my sons heat registor. Was told that they have it and to come in, after a 70 mile drive got there and was told that they didn't carry that item. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Have not been back since. Found it at a small hole in the wall lumber yard. I now shop there.

Make eye contact when people come in, speak to them, and be nice!

Treat them as you wish to be treated and all will be well. Hire quality employees and pay them well. If you end up with employees like the big box stores, you'll have big box problems.

It has been said that the customer comes first, however I disagree. My employees come first. If they are well taken care of, they will take care of my customers. If I don't take care of my employees, they will not take proper care of my customers.

first what kind of business?

If it's grocery, supply, hardware etc, stockers friendly knowledgable, helpful, smile.
Cahiers smile, ask if they found everything, don't throw the goods through the scanner, handle gentley, people are spending their hard earned $. Hand them their change or card with a smile, don;t throw on the counter.
Please and Thank you.
Restraunt food service service industry. Greet within minutes. Smile, friendly, helpful courtious.
In both sectors, consistency in product or service. The ability to source the product in a timely manner if not on the shelf.
Think how would you like to be treated and train the staff accordingly.

Staff presentation a big one. Uniforms clean especially at the start of a shift, good hygene. Clean store, not cluttered, clean washrooms etc

Good luck

Under promise and over deliver on service. Eye contact and firm hand shakes go a long way. I don't like shify eyes or limp hand shakers. Treat everyone with respect even though they frustrate you with not knowing what they want.

I want to feel like I know the owner and they have at least a vague idea who I am.
Being friendly just pays off-- I am willing to cut people breaks for snaffoos if they are normally committed to keeping me happy.
Treat me like nothing special and screw up and I'll go somewhere else. Treat me like nothing special and I'll wonder if I really need to go shopping today.

Whenever possible, call people by their name. Ask about children pets etc. The more you make conections the easier it will be to remember stuff like this. Granted it is not always possible but some people have a knack for it and it makes people feel welcome. I know I appreciate it.

First and foremost...be honest and totally up-front, if you can't deliver, say so and steer them in the right direction even if it is to a competetor. Believe me that they will be back and will refer you to their friends.

Greet every customer with a smile and really work on remembering their names and something about them.

Folks may not remember what business they transacted but they will always remember how you made them feel.

Some of our nicest friends started out as our customers.

rockridgecattle":3nqf5omn said:

This is one of the most important questions. How you make customers feel welcome is different depending on the business. I certainly wouldn;t want to be greeted the same at a mortuary as I would at the dry cleaners.

dun":161o4o3e said:
rockridgecattle":161o4o3e said:

This is one of the most important questions. How you make customers feel welcome is different depending on the business. I certainly wouldn;t want to be greeted the same at a mortuary as I would at the dry cleaners.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It is a clothing store.

Greet every customer as they come through the door. Not the phony "welcome to captains D's" kind of crap but a sincere welcome. Ask how you can help them. If they just want to look, don;t hover, just let them wander around.

Make a big deal out of remembering EVERYONE of your customer's names. Always greet them like they are your BEST customer, even if you know the whole time they may only spend a buck or two-it all adds up. Follow through on promises, and arrivals of special ordered things.Finally and most important but far from the last, let EVERYONE know how much their business is appreciated by them not spending their hard earned cash at a chain store or competitor's.

P.S. Give away lot's of baseball caps, pens,calendars, etc. Customers love them free things. :lol:

Recognize them as individuals and respect them as such.

Be of service, not pushy.
Act with dignity and respect and help when and if I need it and I will be back.

Get pushy with me and I'm gone.

Gate Opener":34g9ghst said:
dun":34g9ghst said:
rockridgecattle":34g9ghst said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It is a clothing store.

I remember going to a clothing store and the owner didn't even have to ask my size. One quick look and he knew my waist size and inseam length. I'm sure that takes time and practice!

Don't try to compete with Walmart on price. You can't.

You can however bust them wide open with service and a smile. Above all other things..... be honest.

I have been self employed since forever. I can tell you that everything above is good advice.
When that person comes in the door they must feel like they are the most important person in the world. No one is beneath you no matter what your initial first impression is.(I once made a $10,000 sale on appliances to a women that came in looking like she worked on a hog farm.) The smile and greeting you give them is the most important first second that you will be judged on. Even if you are waiting on another customer always recognize anyone coming through the door. A loud howdy and a great big smile. Make them glad they came in. When you hire employees always hire one's that you enjoy the interview with.

Hire staff that matches your product. For example you wouldn't want a young single man trying to help somone buy kid clothes. Or a young lady with tatoos all over and a nose ring trying to sell clothes to silver haired ladies.

I went to buy a suit at a mens store. A sharply dress young lady helped me purchase the suit. I felt confident that she knew what looked good and took her advice on most of what I purchased. On the flip side I brought my 2 daughters to a western clothing store prior to Christmas to purchase clothes as part of their Christmas present. The young man working the floor was of little help even though he gave a token effort. The floor manager came over a little later (lady in her 40's) and she was a big help. When the jeans didn't quit fit right she knew wich brand would fit right. She knew her merchandise and how one brand of jeans was different than another. Without her help I probably would have became fustrated and just left. I purchased an outfit for both kids and left the store $100 poorer. Be friendly, make sure your staff fits your store and be knowledgable about your product. The nose ring tatoo girl can work at a tatoo parlor.

Walt

DSC00783.jpg

Crowderfarms":24ua8jqd said:
Make a big deal out of remembering EVERYONE of your customer's names. Always greet them like they are your BEST customer, even if you know the whole time they may only spend a buck or two-it all adds up. Follow through on promises, and arrivals of special ordered things.Finally and most important but far from the last, let EVERYONE know how much their business is appreciated by them not spending their hard earned cash at a chain store or competitor's.

P.S. Give away lot's of baseball caps, pens,calendars, etc. Customers love them free things. :lol:

You are right Crowder! I dropped 2k at CO-OP on fencing supplies last fall and had to BEG for a hat. I don't wear it because of that but my Father collects them so I gave it to him. Went to a local seed supply store to get rye grass seed this fall. Spent 200 bucks and got a free hat without asking......guess where I am going back to for all my seed purchases....and yes I will be wearing my free hat around town and to the cattle auctions this spring.

Crowderfarms":3uzbzgn7 said:

Where's my free hat, you tightwad?

"Welcome to (So and So), get your Sh_t, and get out!"

(quote from a newer comedian) :D

Latest posts