Hoover Dam or his sons

Help Support CattleToday:

Boot Jack Bulls said:
************* said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
Interesting. I read her as plenty wide in her hooks, but narrow in her pins (something I see in the vast majority of Angus these days). I suspect that the picture does her no justice....

Did you click on the video? I shot her from multiple angles. BR and TT saw her close up. She's young, born 9/2017. Bred right now to Bubs Southern Charm. She settled first try. As I said earlier, both her dam and Granddam are big, deep bodied, solid producers. Maybe Hoover Dam will moderate the mature size somewhat, only time will tell.
I did, and I stand by my evaluation. In fact, my assessment of her phenotype is almost exactly opposite of Redgully's. Furthermore, I made no comment on her pedigree or fertility or age.

It would be interesting in years to come to see how her back feet wear, that will tell a lot about her hip/pin set up. I find many cattle these days are getting narrow in the pins, even in my own cattle. It is something i am very conscious of when selecting bulls. I still like her and am surprised you feel she is narrow in the pins. I guess the next step is seeing how she calves down.

Bright Raven said:
************* said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
Interesting. I read her as plenty wide in her hooks, but narrow in her pins (something I see in the vast majority of Angus these days). I suspect that the picture does her no justice....

Did you click on the video? I shot her from multiple angles. BR and TT saw her close up. She's young, born 9/2017. Bred right now to Bubs Southern Charm. She settled first try. As I said earlier, both her dam and Granddam are big, deep bodied, solid producers. Maybe Hoover Dam will moderate the mature size somewhat, only time will tell.

Boot Jack is correct. The video does not do her justice. She looks much better on the ground. IMO she is a very nice heifer.

It's hard to shoot impromptu video on level ground, I barely have any. I just take video as they are, and sometimes the lay of the land can alter how they really look.

Redgully said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
************* said:
I did, and I stand by my evaluation. In fact, my assessment of her phenotype is almost exactly opposite of Redgully's. Furthermore, I made no comment on her pedigree or fertility or age.

It would be interesting in years to come to see how her back feet wear, that will tell a lot about her hip/pin set up. I find many cattle these days are getting narrow in the pins, even in my own cattle. It is something i am very conscious of when selecting bulls. I still like her and am surprised you feel she is narrow in the pins. I guess the next step is seeing how she calves down.

I will be posting it all, good, bad, whatever. Hopefully it goes well.

************* said:
elkwc said:
Personally I like the progeny of Hoover Dam I've seen in both PB and commercial herds. I put him on the list with Final Answer and In Focus. When I tour herds I pay attention to the sire of the proven cows in the herd. I've seen several nice productive sons and daughters of the above mentioned sires. More than most of the other AI sires of today and the past. We are using a grandson of Hoover Dam currently. Far from perfect but overall a solid bull. Personally I would take this heifer in a heart beat.

Even Hoover Dam grandsons and granddaughters bring a lot to the table.

Yes they do. The ones I've seen seem to be solid across the board with fewer extremes on each end. When I see Hoover Dam in a pedigree I see no red flags unlike other sires like 10X

************* said:
CreekAngus said:
Redgully said:
Very nice, one of the best females you've posted on here in my opinion.

this is how cattle are, I thought she was the worst you've ever posted. Thought she was shallow, narrow hipped and lacked capacity. She appears young and could develop more or could throw incredible calves beyond her own phenotype. I gave one of mine a pass this year, a bit ruddy, smaller framed, incredible pedigree and the thing tossed out a daughter who is beautiful and the dam is a great mother........stupid cows.

Fair enough Creek, but this Hoover Dam daughter is out of a very nice dam, and her Granddam is a consistent producer, she's massive, right at 2000 pounds, the Granddam has Basin Rainmaker P175 in her pedigree.

I could be dead wrong, but my bet is that a Hoover Dam/Bubs Southern Charm cross is going to create either a daughter that I can breed again to a carcass leading sire, or if it's a bull, he will most likely deliver when it comes to producing high quality steers.

Only time will tell if this cross works out. I would say it's a safe bet that there are not too many out there right now with this combination.

2000lb momma? Wholly Toledo...that is massive. What frame score would that be?

Latest posts