hiding calves!

Help Support CattleToday:

We had one hide her calf. My wife was out in the pasture and came across it the cows were on the other side of the pasture so she was worried and tried to approach it the sucker took off and ran into the neighbor's pasture and the wife lost sight of it. We thought we were never going to find that little calf but 3 days later there she was call her lucky now as the yotes didn't get to her after she ran off. Lesson of the day don't approach them if they are alone and scared.

We have lost several calves this year after mommas got them out of hiding.

One died in birth with mom (birthed overnight and both dead in morning, obviously not after hiding)
One was doing great and then the next day dead in the middle of a field.

Now we have a 2 day old that is sooooo skinny and momma tries to feed but he just can't seem to figure it out. And momma is leaving him in wide open space in broad daylight 100deg days (he is a black
Baldie). Not sure whether I should just leave them alone or try and catch and bottle feed the little bugger. I can't afford to keep losing calves.

spartacus said:

One died in birth with mom (birthed overnight and both dead in morning, obviously not after hiding)

Now we have a 2 day old that is sooooo skinny and momma tries to feed but he just can't seem to figure it out. And momma is leaving him in wide open space in broad daylight 100deg days (he is a black
Baldie). Not sure whether I should just leave them alone or try and catch and bottle feed the little bugger. I can't afford to keep losing calves.

Sorry to hear about the bad run you've had. If in doubt I would get the calf up and try to get it to take a bottle. If it won't take the bottle I would tube it. If it's really skinny and you haven't seen it latch on and nurse I would be afraid it didn't get colostrum and may heading for more issues and might be dehydrated as well.

spartacus said:

You need better cows, if I have to assist one it's a cull!
If she can't raise me a live calf every 12 months without my help she is a cull.
Might want to read up on Tom Lassiter philosophy on raising cattle.

spartacus said:

you got a serious dehydration issue on your hands if it's not nursing well, and even if it is, when they're too young to know how to drink water, these hot days aren't good for them. I'd probably water down any milk replacer I give them to about 1/2 concentration and add some electrolytes

God blessed us with a couple cool days and some rain and momma started staying with her baby more and he is looking a lot better.

Latest posts