Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Here herefords sell somewhat cheap at my closest sale barn... I am not a big fan of them :hide: However, I could breed them and make blk baldies and they sell same as the angus. That being said if this trend continues and I can scrape up some $$$ I may buy a few next spring :oops: :hide: :mrgreen: . I figure may as well take advantage of the market while its hot.

TennesseeTuxedo":1zbvxena said:
Nothing wrong with a plan like that.

No sir not at all. TT I wish I would have kept that bull now someone came a couple weeks ago and bought him. However I have a young bull about 12 months I could put on some Herefords next year.

skyhightree1":2524wy78 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2524wy78 said:

No sir not at all. TT I wish I would have kept that bull now someone came a couple weeks ago and bought him. However I have a young bull about 12 months I could put on some Herefords next year.

Well there you go then!

TennesseeTuxedo":3q477rck said:
skyhightree1":3q477rck said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3q477rck said:

Well there you go then!

How do herefords sell down your way?

Horrible. At least 20 cents a pound behind the black hides.

Baldies get black hide pricing so I have our Hereford bull on a group of Angus cows and one of our Angus bulls covering the registered Angus and Hereford cows.

TennesseeTuxedo":ezhur76s said:

Baldies get black hide pricing so I have our Hereford bull on a group of Angus cows and one of our Angus bulls covering the registered Angus and Hereford cows.

Here they are a good .40 cents behind most days and more on others. Hereford use to be what everyone had now atleast in my area they are frowned on.

skyhightree1":h8e6ie6i said:
TennesseeTuxedo":h8e6ie6i said:

Here they are a good .40 cents behind most days and more on others. Hereford use to be what everyone had now atleast in my area they are frowned on.

It's a shame too 'cause they are beautiful animals.

TennesseeTuxedo":2h73pqmi said:
skyhightree1":2h73pqmi said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2h73pqmi said:

It's a shame too 'cause they are beautiful animals.

This is true but you gotta do what the market dictates if that means baldys so be it.

It is a shame that they get docked like that too. They get hit up here around .20-.40 cents less. But I love my Hereford cows and cross with the black bull. It is a great idea. Its what I did this year. I am a Hereford guy all around. I think they have a better temperament and milk better then angus cows. But that's just me

TennesseeTuxedo":104zcja3 said:
Deepsouth":104zcja3 said:
What kind of cows are you running now? If their black just get a Hereford bull.

I think Sky is looking to expand his herd by adding Hereford cows DS since they are cheaper. HIs current base herd is Angus based.

Deep double T is correct. I'd like to buy 10 heifers and see how it goes breeding it To my young bull.

This is our first year with a Hereford bull over our Angus and Simangus cows. Still going to run a registered Angus bull on our registered females and heifers. A biologist from UGA. said expect a larger and heavier calf. But a cow should have no problems calving. First calves are still 3 months out. Somethings make no sense, we're going to ween a larger calf that will grow faster in a feedlot. But worth less I need to see this for myself. Video auction here we come.

Sky, lots more than being a Hereford that gets them docked 20 or more a lb. I get docked about 5 cents a pound. But as far as black baldies go, I have a black angus bull covering my Hereford cows for the second year in a row. Can't beat baldy prices. Any sorry azz calf is going to get docked and not top the sale no matter the color of the hide.

Alan":2sn601fo said:
Sky, lots more than being a Hereford that gets them docked 20 or more a lb. I get docked about 5 cents a pound. But as far as black baldies go, I have a black angus bull covering my Hereford cows for the second year in a row. Can't beat baldy prices. Any sorry azz calf is going to get docked and not top the sale no matter the color of the hide.

Alan I can agree with that probably in most areas but they have some nice calves and truthfully its a regional thing. They really don't like them at my closest sale barn. Maybe dogs and cows and smokinm will chime in they are near me sorta. Kenny t may as well in his side of the state they may not have that problem.

They are very rare here but I have calls from people wanting the bulls. I would buy the cows if I could find good ones but have not seen one sell here in a long time. Hard to beat a baldy calf or even better a yellow calf from a Charolais bull. I will buy the yellow over any other ones that sell.

I have owned them in the past and they do really well for me. I like a good baldie calf and so does the sale barn. I like fat slick black cattle as much as the next guy and own a few but I think the ones I make the most money on are the ones that you buy right because of color or whatever and get a nice calf off of. If the calf is black then that's that much better. I think Denver does a lot of this as well. Price wise I think the difference you are talking is about right. I have noticed color is not the deal breaker it was here now that prices are up. Quality and condition is what makes or breaks them. Also you can't beat them for temperament they are calm and easy to work.

SmokinM":ydunygdl said:
I have owned them in the past and they do really well for me. I like a good baldie calf and so does the sale barn. I like fat slick black cattle as much as the next guy and own a few but I think the ones I make the most money on are the ones that you buy right because of color or whatever and get a nice calf off of. If the calf is black then that's that much better. I think Denver does a lot of this as well. Price wise I think the difference you are talking is about right. I have noticed color is not the deal breaker it was here now that prices are up. Quality and condition is what makes or breaks them. Also you can't beat them for temperament they are calm and easy to work.

what sale barn do you use?

Latest posts