Help with grass identification

Help Support CattleToday:

spartacus

Reaction score
Can you guys help me ID these three grasses that I'm finding all over a new piece of property?

The second one looks like silver bluestem. Agree on foxtail on the first. Whats your location?

Neither one are very good for cattle but they will eat them at early stages. The silver bluestem is a good grass in the spring but it seeds out early and they quit eating it unless they are starved. It seems to make decent hay.
The foxtail seems to fill in on overgrazed places and around barns and gates. Its better than nothing but just barely.

based on a grass id project i started and hadn't finished:

last one looks like little barley (hordeum pusillum). indicator of disturbed, overgrazed, or poor soil. little value to cattle.

bird dog said:
The second one looks like silver bluestem. Agree on foxtail on the first. Whats your location?

Neither one are very good for cattle but they will eat them at early stages. The silver bluestem is a good grass in the spring but it seeds out early and they quit eating it unless they are starved. It seems to make decent hay.
The foxtail seems to fill in on overgrazed places and around barns and gates. Its better than nothing but just barely.

Same here...a bluestem and foxtail. Third hard to really tell. Quite a few have spikes like that but I fail to recall any with just two. Most will have at least three. A photo of the entire plant might help.

1982vett said:
bird dog said:

Same here...a bluestem and foxtail. Third hard to really tell. Quite a few have spikes like that but I fail to recall any with just two. Most will have at least three. A photo of the entire plant might help.

I agree with a whole picture on the first one I would venture a guess of Dallas grass.

spartacus said:
Can you guys help me ID these three grasses that I'm finding all over a new piece of property?

Dallisgrass, or a crab grass head segment.

Some kind of blue stem

Yellow Foxtail, or a small green foxtail.

All past their value for this year.
The crabgrass looking stuff and foxtail like the poor soil, and over grazed ground.
JMO.

Latest posts