Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Gman, I also lived in the Piney Woods. In the 100 sq. mile patch that is out west of the main woods in Bastrop county. Well, the ranching goes on here in Oregon (I am a cattle magnate with 2 Jersey brood cows) and the woods are awesome. These are cool season grasses green all year except in the dry summers not like the warm season grasses of Texas. I rotate my pastures. My husband used to say he was not so much a cattle rancher but a grass farmer. The place looked like a park but he was always mowing, liming, fertilizing hay fields, herbiciding mesquite and green briars and fixing fences. He said he is too old to dig post holes so he sold the ranch but what did he do when we moved here? He fenced the whole place.

Yep, wind only blows down a good corn, wheat, rice, oat, or hay crop. If it isn't a good one it will still be standing. Ever seen sage grass blown over?
well, mine must be in pretty good shape, then. I do see a little hedge mustard out there that didn't lay down due to the rigid stems.

Gman, I also lived in the Piney Woods. In the 100 sq. mile patch that is out west of the main woods in Bastrop county. Well, the ranching goes on here in Oregon (I am a cattle magnate with 2 Jersey brood cows) and the woods are awesome. These are cool season grasses green all year except in the dry summers not like the warm season grasses of Texas. I rotate my pastures. My husband used to say he was not so much a cattle rancher but a grass farmer. The place looked like a park but he was always mowing, liming, fertilizing hay fields, herbiciding mesquite and green briars and fixing fences. He said he is too old to dig post holes so he sold the ranch but what did he do when we moved here? He fenced the whole place.
Sounds like something I would do. Always wanted to see Oregon...some of the photos I've seen show some beautiful country. But I wouldn't be able to handle the winters...I just don't do cold...never have.

Where we live in SW Oregon 20 miles from the coast it seldom goes below freezing because the Pacific ocean moderates the climate. It rains a lot in the wet season but it is mostly a piddly sort of rain, not like Texas where it can rain 5" in a couple of hours. But the rain does build up. Everybody wears knee high rubber boots in the winter.
100_1707 (1).JPG
100_1806.JPG
Another wonderful thing. We have moved away from people, feral hogs and fire ants.

I am joining in this conversation sorta late. I am sorry about your Dad passing. When people begin to decline in the end, they just do not feel like taking care of things the way they used to. My husband was having so much trouble with both legs, a couple of years before he passed, and he just did not stay after things the way he should have. And fences grew up and then here come those blasted rose bushes. They are OK in places, but not on the fence line where they like to grow up in your electric fence. Seems like there is always a huge wasp nest right in the middle of the largest bushes. FUN!

I know what you are speaking of when you talk about coming in behind and having to get things cleaned up. There always seems to be a tree or trees growing up through the middle of equipment. That is a mess for sure.
You have a great place and I bet your wife being a country girl is going to learn to love those cows.
You were talking about all the heavy duty bush hogging, and goodness my husband let some land go at the end that needed it.
We have a Brown Tree Cutter, one of the heavy duty jobs that if you go slow, you can cut some good sized trees with them. He tried it before with our John Deere cutter, and messed it up and had to repair it. So, therefore, the Brown Tree Cutter came to live with us. But that Brown Tree Cutter will eat them up.
You have a good looking bunch of cows and now you get to be the boss of things and do it like you want it done. Sounds like you are off to a great start. I have enjoyed reading about your adventures on the farm.
Enjoy those Spring storms as they come through. The Lord is preparing your land for timed harvests as he says, and it building up your water table. Let's hope that it doesn't turn off dry this summer. We had rains in Tennessee in the beginning when the crops were planted, and for a while after that, but it got dry at the end. People with crowded pastures didn't have grass. So they had to feed hay early. So, knock on wood, we get timed rains.
Keep on keeping on @gman4691!!
"...The Lord is preparing your land for timed harvests..." - they say if you're going to pray for rain, you need to prepare your fields to receive it...otherwise, you're just wishing.

It's official…finally got them all domesticated. In preparing to get them up for worming, etc. Monday, I decided to feed them in the troughs in the lot several days in advance to get them used to coming in there. Today I took a couple of bags of cubes down there and they walked right in…big ones AND little ones. Some even did it twice. A few followed me out to the truck to get the second bag and then followed me right back in. BIG difference from 2 - 3 years ago when I was ready to get a tranquilizer gun and just work them in the open (never did that but it did cross my mind). They were some of the most frustrating critters this side of I-35 back then. Hopefully Monday will go off without a hitch.

Where we live in SW Oregon 20 miles from the coast it seldom goes below freezing because the Pacific ocean moderates the climate. It rains a lot in the wet season but it is mostly a piddly sort of rain, not like Texas where it can rain 5" in a couple of hours. But the rain does build up. Everybody wears knee high rubber boots in the winter.
View attachment 43589
View attachment 43590
Another wonderful thing. We have moved away from people, feral hogs and fire ants.
We've still got the hogs and fire ants. We live about 4-1/2 miles outside the city limits so people aren't much of a problem

Still running the con on the cows. Mom wanted to come with me and got a chance to see all the work that's been done over the last couple of years - up close and personal. It was good taking her around so she could see the things we've talked about. Drove over to the back (rehab) pasture. Looks pretty good - all things considered. Coneflowers are taking their sweet time dying over there but some decent looking grass is coming up. Afterwards, sat out in the warm evening and had ice cream cones. A good ending for the day.

It's official…finally got them all domesticated. In preparing to get them up for worming, etc. Monday, I decided to feed them in the troughs in the lot several days in advance to get them used to coming in there. Today I took a couple of bags of cubes down there and they walked right in…big ones AND little ones. Some even did it twice. A few followed me out to the truck to get the second bag and then followed me right back in. BIG difference from 2 - 3 years ago when I was ready to get a tranquilizer gun and just work them in the open (never did that but it did cross my mind). They were some of the most frustrating critters this side of I-35 back then. Hopefully Monday will go off without a hitch.
We'll, maybe not "official" - 2 escaped the dreaded pour-on cydectin…the rest are wormed and the calves are worked…they followed me in the lot like puppies 4 days in a row…decided to be cantankerous today…new fencing and improvements on the lot served us well…and the beat goes on…bitter weeds coming on strong…mixed my first two tanks of Grazon P+D today

We'll, maybe not "official" - 2 escaped the dreaded pour-on cydectin…the rest are wormed and the calves are worked…they followed me in the lot like puppies 4 days in a row…decided to be cantankerous today…new fencing and improvements on the lot served us well…and the beat goes on…bitter weeds coming on strong…mixed my first two tanks of Grazon P+D today
I remember a comment by a vet that's a CT member about pour on wormers. The only good they get from the pour on is for flies and whatever they lick off each other. Injectable is best.

Well, I will have to differ some... we had some cows with small fall calves that all of a sudden looked terribleand they were getting corn silage a couple times a week in the silage wagon ...got them in the headlocks in the silage wagon and I took an AI sleeve on 6 and got manure samples from each one... 2 in good flesh, 2 a bit thin and 2 really looking poor... we went on and poured on ivermectin while they were caught up just as a precaution...
Then took the samples to the vet the next day... and they were not marked which was which and I didn't tell anyone the condition of the cows... just told the vet's office that we had some thin cows and were concerned and wanted to do fecals...
He called me the next day... and said well, you definitely have some worm problems... he said 2 samples were not bad, 2 samples had alot of eggs and 2 were really really infested... and I said well we went on and used pour on while we had them locked up just because.... he said that is what he would have done and especially since he ran the fecals... I then told him that I took samples from 2 in good flesh, 2 that were a little thin and 2 that looked like death warmed over... and that they had suddenly gotten like that in less than a couple weeks...

In 3 weeks they looked like different cows... and the samples showed next to no eggs in the fecals samples... and except for the 2 worst cows... which I specifically resampled... the other 6, that I took this time.... I have no idea if I resampled the same cows or not... so the pour on DID a very good job for us.... and of the 2 that were really thin/bad... I don't know which sample belonged to which cow... just that those 2, I stuck in one pocket of the jacket... and the other 6, I stuck in the other pocket... but they were not marked with individual cow #'s...

We do not regularly worm our cows... but this year they are all getting wormed.... all with pour on.... as they come off the trailers at the pastures at turnout... between the wormer and the fresh green grass, it ought to go through them pretty good.... and clean them out if they need it... I think that last few years there just wasn't enough cold and no amount of snow, to knock the worm populations back... and since we do not worm regularly, the wormer has hit them pretty hard because there is no resistance to any of it...

Just our latest experience...

I remember a comment by a vet that's a CT member about pour on wormers. The only good they get from the pour on is for flies and whatever they lick off each other. Injectable is best.
I've had good results so far. They got an injectable last fall and will probably get it again this fall. I also try to keep a Safe-Guard dewormer block available most of the summer.

Finally got some chicken litter delivered yesterday for the rehab pasture. He brought 2 loads yesterday and is supposed to bring 2 today. Dumped the first load in the wrong place (right behind the house in the rye grass that is to be baled when weather permits). Needless to say, I wasn't happy about that. I got home from work before the second load arrived and was able to show him where to put it. Of course, they should have known…they've made two preliminary trips out here to see where to dump and where to spread. Truck driver was a young guy that probably doesn't know which end of a cow goes "moo" and it was his first time out here so I wasn't hard on him. Going in late to work today so I can catch the guy with the spreader truck this morning and show him where to go. As I've said before, getting chicken litter around here is like pulling teeth. Ah well, these things happen.

You should have beaten the young driver and I mean one he'll remember the rest of his bloody life.. It's them young ones that a beating would have a long lasting and profoundly positive effect on, not older farts that just don't care..

You should have beaten the young driver and I mean one he'll remember the rest of his bloody life.. It's them young ones that a beating would have a long lasting and profoundly positive effect on, not older farts that just don't care..
Trying to catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. If these folks prove to be reliable, I would like to keep an amiable relationship with them. Although, it did tick me off when I saw where he dumped that first load - talking to him it was obvious he didn't know any better. Then again, I did some not so bright things as a young man (and still do from time to time). Don't want to antagonize the drivers to the point where they don't want to come out here. So, we hit a bump…it's not the end of the world. But I can very much relate to your comment. Chalk it up to a lesson learned for a young guy. I will survive the loss of maybe 1/4 bale of rye grass. Has anyone of us ever pulled a bonehead move? It's happened to me…more than once…lol

Just showed up with load #3

Don't want to antagonize the drivers to the point where they don't want to come out here. So, we hit a bump…it's not the end of the world.
Well, there is that aspect, tho I'd still be inclined to have drug him out of his truck, put something on him Clorox couldn't takeoff and drubbed his GenX nose in the mis-dumped chicken pooh.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen? He goes back to the office, takes some time off, moves back home with mommy, files a claim for PTSD and decides to change his gender? A good therapist can take care of all that and set him back on the straight and narrow pathway.

;););)
spare the rod/spoil the child.

Last one to leave the nest?
Yes, sir…but she had already "left the nest" and got a little rental house when she graduated college. This is he send year of teaching first grade.

As for the other, not really interested in getting acquainted with the county jail…too much work to do. Spreader truck is getting started with the first 3 loads…a fourth is on the way. Maybe I'll go spray a spot that is going to be too wet by the end of the week.

Latest posts