Heifer calving problem help

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm going back down now with a horse blanket and 2 gallons of warm water in a gang thermos we have.

tncattle said:
I'm going back down now with a horse blanket and 2 gallons of warm water in a gang thermos we have.

I'd try giving her some calcium and see if that helps. I hate to be a pessimist but if the calcium doesn't help then I wouldn't waste to much time on her

I would try to get a tractor down there and move her to the barn. She will never stand on her own in this mud. I've had them down before and if it goes to raining they cant get footing even if you help them. It has to be dry (somewhat). Borrow a hip clamp from a vet and once in dry ground you can help her stand a few times a day. If its too wet to get a tractor there I would try to find somebody with a skid loader on tracks. Good luck.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
tncattle said:
It was a beautiful black baldy bull calf😭

Sorry for your loss.

How is that first calf doing? Have there been any others?
Yes, 3 nice black baldy heifer calves all born in the last 6 days. No problems at all and all doing great.

Another problem when they go down to long is they can bloat. Worth keeping an eye on. They can also pinch the nerve to their back leg so sometimes when you get them up they are all wonky until the feeling returns to their legs.

Midtenn said:
I would try to get a tractor down there and move her to the barn. She will never stand on her own in this mud. I've had them down before and if it goes to raining they cant get footing even if you help them. It has to be dry (somewhat). Borrow a hip clamp from a vet and once in dry ground you can help her stand a few times a day. If its too wet to get a tractor there I would try to find somebody with a skid loader on tracks. Good luck.

I've been to this farm before and can visualize where she's down. I'm not sure any vehicle could get back to her in light if the rain we've had.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Midtenn said:

I've been to this farm before and can visualize where she's down. I'm not sure any vehicle could get back to her in light if the rain we've had.
Understand that! We had to use the track loader & cut down trees to get to a cow a couple years ago - and it was dry. They seem to pick the most inconvenient places to go down. :bang:

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Midtenn said:

This rain is unbelievable. I was pretty proud of myself up until now I've been doing pretty good feeding ahead and moving to areas not so muddy. Moved all cows that I could away from the hay barns to keep pathways somewhat dry. Feed with truck vs. tractor whenever possible, etc. Really didn't have too many ruts until now.
Despite best effort and planning , All bets are off now. It's about to the point we can't hardly even get to the hay much less feed it. Steady rain now and were supposed to get something like 6" Tuesday and Wednesday.
Feeding hay is about a full time job around here this year. I'm betting a lot of folks throw in the towel after this winter

Midtenn said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Midtenn said:

This rain is unbelievable. I was pretty proud of myself up until now I've been doing pretty good feeding ahead and moving to areas not so muddy. Moved all cows that I could away from the hay barns to keep pathways somewhat dry. Feed with truck vs. tractor whenever possible, etc. Really didn't have too many ruts until now.
Despite best effort and planning , All bets are off now. It's about to the point we can't hardly even get to the hay much less feed it. Steady rain now and were supposed to get something like 6" Tuesday and Wednesday.
Feeding hay is about a full time job around here this year. I'm betting a lot of folks throw in the towel after this winter

I'm probably going to be one of them.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Midtenn said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

"ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE !"

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Midtenn said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

Don't do it!!

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Midtenn said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

:eek: :eek:

She's still drinking water and now eating some hay but hasn't gotten up. Should we keep trying or shoot her? She's been down for 72 hrs.