Heifer Bred Too Young

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer10

Reaction score
All,
Hello. I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a question. I bought some "open" heifers back in the July 2015 timeframe (were supposed to be ~8-9 months old). However, I just found out that one of them is bred (she just started putting on a bag). The person I bought them from came over and palpated her and said it was probably 1-2 weeks from calving and offered to watch the heifer and calve her for me. He said she would have had to have been bred while still on the momma cow. He said his records show that she would have had to have been bred around the 6 month time frame (I have never heard of that before)

However, after talking to a few folks I know, it seems like this is likely to probably damage her long term and said they think I should ask for a swap or ask for my money back. The consensus I got was that even if I pulled the calf off her at 30 days (if it even makes it), that she would probably never be as productive of a cow as the rest (or worse, she could get damaged internally and I wouldn't know it).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to handle this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Joseph

The main issue would be her calving so make sure someone is around to give a hand if need be. Most will calve OK by themselves and if looked after afterwards with plenty of feed she should do fine and will breed back and no permanent damage. Weaning the calf at 3-4 mths would help too.
The situation is not desirable but also if care is taken, not a total disaster in most cases. But hey, $hit happens.
Ken

There are a lot of people on this board that have experience with your situation with positive outcomes (there's another current thread). Unfortunately all my "oops" babies were either preemies or d.o.a. and we ended up selling the heifers because there was either too much scar tissue (from a hard pull), potential breed-back problems (C-section w/dead & breech) or just didn't want to deal with a heifer-subsequently-cow with probable stunted growth. My two cents is swap or refund but it depends on how much you like this heifer - because I'm also a sucker for potential & a good disposition.

Thanks for the replies all. I will try to approach the person and see if they will exchange a heifer for me.

Had one once raise her fast calf as a 14mo old. It kept her small, But raised 1000 dollar calf. Then she lost her 2nd calf, so she didn't have a calf on her as a 2 yr old. And she grew out well at that point. Regular cow now.

Had some Oops heifers, they don't stay here for long....mostly getting bred on timely issues. Our mature cows calved in spring while our oops heifers calved in middle of summer and we cannot afford any cows that is calving out of season or went open for another year. Your biggest worry is the calf size as there is a chance that you might have to call a vet in if she needs a c-section.

Found a heifer today that had a calf and never got up. The calf was on the ground and still in the sack and she was barely alive. She had her eyes open, was barely breathing and started to swell and stiffen up. She was 2-1/2 yrs old and one I kept because I really liked her disposition. I had been keeping a close watch on her but she looked to be a couple of weeks away yesterday. That is absolutely the last heifer to stay on my place. Just too much at risk. She would have brought a good price last spring if I would have sold her.
If I was you, I would ask for a refund from the seller. Let him take the risk!

bbirder":2g8q5hxl said:
Found a heifer today that had a calf and never got up. The calf was on the ground and still in the sack and she was barely alive. She had her eyes open, was barely breathing and started to swell and stiffen up. She was 2-1/2 yrs old and one I kept because I really liked her disposition. I had been keeping a close watch on her but she looked to be a couple of weeks away yesterday. That is absolutely the last heifer to stay on my place. Just too much at risk. She would have brought a good price last spring if I would have sold her.

So the heifer never got up & the calf died or they both died? Sorry for the confusion & whatever happened sounds horrible. Calving out heifers is stressful - and yet I continue to do it.

I even bought one last yr because she WAS bred young. Old fella that owned her didn't want to deal with her, so I got her cheap. Nice purebred set.

TCRanch":5lhism1k said:
bbirder":5lhism1k said:

So the heifer never got up & the calf died or they both died? Sorry for the confusion & whatever happened sounds horrible. Calving out heifers is stressful - and yet I continue to do it.

They both died. I put the heifer out of her misery after consulting my vet. Didn't mean to steal the thread, only to express my opinion on why he should try to get rid of the heifer before she calves. IMO too great a risk at that age. The seller should step up if he sold them as open heifers.

Not all teen pregnancies are good & positive things, just saying folks. Seen more bad things than good things out of teen pregnancies.

All,
Thanks for the replies. I have come to a solution, I think. The breeder has offered to swap this heifer with another one of a similar age range. I think that will be the best overall solution. Seems like you can work a heifer through these types of situations, but my wife and I are new to running cows and don't need the additional risk.

Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Joseph

bbirder":1no17dpt said:
TCRanch":1no17dpt said:
bbirder":1no17dpt said:

They both died. I put the heifer out of her misery after consulting my vet. Didn't mean to steal the thread, only to express my opinion on why he should try to get rid of the heifer before she calves. IMO too great a risk at that age. The seller should step up if he sold them as open heifers.

Sooo sorry! That's a double whammy :cry:

Farmer10":gej9veof said:
All,
Thanks for the replies. I have come to a solution, I think. The breeder has offered to swap this heifer with another one of a similar age range. I think that will be the best overall solution. Seems like you can work a heifer through these types of situations, but my wife and I are new to running cows and don't need the additional risk.

Joseph

Good call! Calving out heifers is a true testament to marriage (I morph into Medusa) but especially when they're just too young. Wishing you & your wife the best!

I have seen this on several occassion and yes there are some down sides to a young heifer being an oops, but in most of our experiences here if she can have the calf fine they generally turn into pretty good cows. Why, if she is cycling that early it can only turn into a postitve, for we put a lot of emphasis on breeding window and being an early cycler!

Hey Everybody, new to the board and I'd like some feedback. I have a heifer that got pregnant at around 8-9 months. I'm guessing shes 3 months along. What is recommended? I'm guessing she'd be 15-16 months when she calves. Will she be ok or should I try to sell her?

If she got bred at 8-9 months she will be in the ballpark of 18 months old when she calves. Should be no reason she can't have it if she is grown out fairly well and wasn't bred to a monster maker. I've had them calve at 14 months with mixed results, mostly positive.
Went to take replacements and bulls out to pasture the other day and saw I had one showing some bag, so kept her back. Will see what happens I guess.

Farmer10 said:
All,

Joseph

Hi and welcome. I think you made a very intelligent call to swap the heifer out to the breeder for another that is not bred. And I commend him for doing it willingly. Someone that is being fair and decent with you will reflect good on him. You will give him a good recommendation and be willing to buy from him again.
Knowing your "newness" and wanting to do it "right" is great in someone who does not have alot of experience.
The best of luck with your cattle.

TobeyErin1 said:
Hey Everybody, new to the board and I'd like some feedback. I have a heifer that got pregnant at around 8-9 months. I'm guessing shes 3 months along. What is recommended? I'm guessing she'd be 15-16 months when she calves. Will she be ok or should I try to sell her?

What is your experience with cattle and heifers in particular? It can be a mixed bag, but for a "newbie" it is not the best way to get your feet wet. We have had several "oops" babies born. Sometimes it works, sometimes it is a train wreck. If you have an idea of what bull got to her, and what his calves are size wise; that would make a difference too. If she is only 3 months now, it won't show, sell her. You could abort her right now, it usually works up to 100 +/- days. Ask the vet. a 2 shot series 10 days apart, should knock it out before 4 months. But not always.

TobeyErin1 said:

Ask your vet about giving her a shot to make her abort. Unless you're really far from a clinic, the call charge ought to be less than the hit you'll take trying to sell her now.

Latest posts