Hay Season 2014

Help Support CattleToday:

ITS OFFICIAL first cutting done I don't think I will do a second cutting and not by my choice...
Highgrit funny you mention driver error my friend called me and we were talking about hounds and I kicked a bale out pulled up and had already hit the lever to close the gate and something sounded funny tractor sounded like bogging down then I look back notice baler looks twisted oh crap I was trying to close the gate and it clamped the bale I kicked out and I was dragging it I told my friend hey I gotta call you back before I tear some s..t up. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

baby bale I didn't have enough to make a full bale at the end.

Getting ready to cut tomorrow doing a test run make sure the equipment was on point. Just thought I'd post some pics.

Hope everyone has a great 4th and thank you to all our veterans!

Been a busy weekend for me. Cut baled and wrapped 58 bales of millet on 8 acres. 106 rolls cut, dried,baled and stacked in the barn on 25 acres. Also wrapped 450 bales of various hay for others. A couple of the days ran long into the night.I am tired. Get a short break from hay for a couple of weeks except for one wrapping job Tuesday.No time for many pictures.

started cutting our last 40acs to bale sat.then he finished cutting it sun morning.going to start baling at 11am.then it can rain friday after the hay is hauled in and stacked.hoping to get enough rain for a 2nd cutting if needed.

Well I didn't take any pictures, but I did get cutting #1 completed this weekend. Friday (July 4th) was cutting day. Saturday morning I raked and then baled later that day. This was the latest I had ever gone waiting for the first cutting to be ready.

Got 140 4x6 bales of mixed burmuda/johnson grass off our 50 acre hay field.

OklaBrangusBreeder":21xdgr5j said:
Well I didn't take any pictures, but I did get cutting #1 completed this weekend. Friday (July 4th) was cutting day. Saturday morning I raked and then baled later that day. This was the latest I had ever gone waiting for the first cutting to be ready.

Got a few down here already cutting the 2nd cutting.

TexasBred":fhwtdvet said:
OklaBrangusBreeder":fhwtdvet said:

Got a few down here already cutting the 2nd cutting.

I doubt very seriously there will be a 2nd cutting

most places look like this and ground crunches like potato chips.

Lots here in MO just finishing a first cutting on their grass hay. Got mine baled 2 weeks ago. Got one small field that a guy wants cut again in the fall otherwise I'm hay'd out.

well we are done baling for the year.that is unless we get more rain and decide to go for the 2nd cutting.the last 40acs made 84 5 by 6 bales.so that close to 180 bales for the winter.

skyhightree1":11peb9w6 said:

Been their as little as seven weeks ago then it started raining. Looking really good right now.......as long as we keep getting the rain showers.

sky when we are at full feed we feed 7 or 8 bales a week.im hoping we keep getting rain so the pastures stay good.

1982vett":18u9rqp1 said:
skyhightree1":18u9rqp1 said:

Been their as little as seven weeks ago then it started raining. Looking really good right now.......as long as we keep getting the rain showers.

Yea it sucks but good thing is I got plenty of hay but prefer them to be on good grass.

bigbull338":18u9rqp1 said:
sky when we are at full feed we feed 7 or 8 bales a week.im hoping we keep getting rain so the pastures stay good.

Definately understand that no rain in sight anytime soon.... I tried to do the rain dance several times as Jo mentioned but I guess its getting confused with the Electric Slide since all we get is thunder and Electrical storms.

skyhightree1":2mpgjruh said:
Definately understand that no rain in sight anytime soon.... I tried to do the rain dance several times as Jo mentioned but I guess its getting confused with the Electric Slide since all we get is thunder and Electrical storms.
I think the first thing you have to do is get good and drunk. Then remove most of your clothes and someone throws a snake right under your feet....the rest is pretty much a no brainer....if it doesn't rain pretty quickly at least you will have peed all over everything and possibly worse. :lol2:

TexasBred":2lzkbat4 said:
skyhightree1":2lzkbat4 said:
I think the first thing you have to do is get good and drunk. Then remove most of your clothes and someone throws a snake right under your feet....the rest is pretty much a no brainer....if it doesn't rain pretty quickly at least you will have peed all over everything and possibly worse. :lol2:

:lol2:

This time of year we're pretty much dependent on the passing thunder showers. With that, a 1/4 of a mile can be the difference in an inch of rain.
We've been blessed, but with the breeze and 94 degree days it doesn't take long to dry up. I'm in a situation where I'll start selling before I feed hay.

fitz

I'm jealous of you guys who are done making hay already. I haven't even started on 1st cutting UP here, between the rain every other day and standing water in 50% of the fields we just haven't had a break to get hay made.