Hay in September ????

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
Anybody from Alabama feeding hay now ???

It's so dry here that I think I will have to begin feeding hay in the next few days if it doesn't begin raining.

I know how you feel we finally got some rain and the grass has started growing and I got to quit hauling water but if we don't get any rain by next week I will be hauling water again and the grass will quit growing

I am hoping for rain as I would like to bale another 3-400 bales of hay this fall it is looking good for now but will just have to wait and see

Angus Cowman":daa5b2ia said:
I know how you feel we finally got some rain and the grass has started growing and I got to quit hauling water but if we don't get any rain by next week I will be hauling water again and the grass will quit growing

I am hoping for rain as I would like to bale another 3-400 bales of hay this fall it is looking good for now but will just have to wait and see

I sure hope you get to use that new haybarn.

Feeding hay in September.....Been their and done that many times of late. But not this year. Last year we were able to stop feeding hay in September. :???:

I'm just north of you and putting out 2 4x6 rolls/day. I have plenty of grass in another pasture but I cleaned out the ponds and there's no water.

Been real dry here. The hot temps. & breeze dries it up fast. Measured .16 for the last 31 days. Putting out hay cause there's no need to move them from one dry pasture to another. Plus the heavy acorns have to be a concern when the grass goes.

Good news is it started here 1:30 a.m. and they're calling for possibly a couple days of rain with more normal temperatures for this time of year. Good luck to all.

fitz

I have one pasture left that's ungrazed since June. It's in a low lying area so it's still nice and green. I divided it last night with a hot wire and turned the cattle loose. They were like kids in a candy store. I'll keep the other half for my new calves. I'll be rolling out a bale w/in a week though to take some pressure off. That's the earliest I've ever put out hay. I got lucky this year and got 4x5 round bales of grass hay for $25 each. It's been kept in a barn since baling and it's great looking stuff. I'm picking up the last wagon load tmrw and my barn will be full so bring on the snow!

WE are really dry here too and I am starting to feed hay. The pastures are eaten down to nothing and no rain in the forecast to amount to anything.

3waycross":hzcrfx6t said:
Angus Cowman":hzcrfx6t said:

I sure hope you get to use that new haybarn.
Plan on cutting in about a week not much about 125 acres hopefully it will be enough to fill the new barn

Our fields inKY are dry as a bone too. We are already feeding some hay to supplement pasture, hoping for rain but we will see. Did get the farm bush hogged andsome rain now will hopefully cause the grass to grow some and I can always hit the weeds again with the bush hogg.

Latest posts