Hay in N.E. Tennessee

Help Support CattleToday:

A.J.

Reaction score
If anybody has hay for sale anywhere near Northeast Tennessee, it would probably be worth your while to advertise on craigslist or another advertisement in this area. We had a late frost and a dry spring and summer, so there is a strong demand for it right now. The UT research station in Greeneville just had an auction of their surplus hay, and it averaged $65-70 per bale, and that was for some 4x5's that didn't look like that great. The cheapest lot of bales brought $57/bale and the highest went for $85. :shock:

Aj I'm in swva and I'm Trying to buy every bale I can get my hands on. Have a few stocked up and gettin ready to buy a bunch of square bales for $3 a bale . I'm wanting round bales but I'm gonna take anything I can get right now

I'm just thankful last year was such a good year and we had some left over or we would be in really bad shape. That is a good price for those square bales. I'll let you know if I run across a good supply of rounds.

I live in swva and baled 60 acres the last two days that made bout as much fall hay as it did in the spring. I should be in good shape thanks to about 10 inches of rain in July. I have have several fields yet to bale and they look pretty good also.

Our local hay is good this year. Our barn is full at $35/bale 4 x 5s Bermuda.

kucala5":dm4fwt0i said:
Our local hay is good this year. Our barn is full at $35/bale 4 x 5s Bermuda.
Too bad we're not closer. I'd say several people around here would take you up on that if we were. I'll definitely keep you in mind if I hear any guys with trucks out that way looking to bring some back on a back haul.

jltrent":1kxbhhw8 said:
I live in swva and baled 60 acres the last two days that made bout as much fall hay as it did in the spring. I should be in good shape thanks to about 10 inches of rain in July. I have have several fields yet to bale and they look pretty good also.
Sounds like y'all got more of the rain we missed. The rain at end of July came just in time to help pastures here. Johnson grass is about all our second cutting is going to be. We'll just have to really watch nitrate levels.

It is amazing how localized rain or a drought can be. I am two counties east of Green co and our hay crop has been average for us. Last year we had 137 rolls first cutting and this year we had 141. If you still need hay look in Johnson or Carter co. We got a lot of rain in the mountains you did not get.

Hay is short here as well. I have stated my second cutting and getting less than half of normal. First cutting was a little better but not much had a late freeze then a dry spring really but a hurting on grass.

pricefarm":1gcb1d5a said:
Hay is short here as well. I have stated my second cutting and getting less than half of normal. First cutting was a little better but not much had a late freeze then a dry spring really but a hurting on grass.

Experienced the same weather here. Finished first cutting at 60% of last year. Have started on a 2nd cut and rolling right at last year's yield so far.

fitz

its a shame you guys aren't closer we have went in and brushhogged down around 4000 bales this yr and have only baled a few less than a 1000 plus turned cows on to another 100 acres of hay ground
Can't sell hay here for enough to cover fert and baling so didn't apply any fert and sure aint gonna waste the $$$ to bale it
Have around a 1000 bales left from last yr and will have a 1000 from this yr off of our good hay ground

hillbilly beef man":19lvsxgh said:
It is amazing how localized rain or a drought can be. I am two counties east of Green co and our hay crop has been average for us. Last year we had 137 rolls first cutting and this year we had 141. If you still need hay look in Johnson or Carter co. We got a lot of rain in the mountains you did not get.
Yes it is. Sounds like y'all got the rain we missed. I think we have been in a bubble this year. Rain would be heading our way, and just turn before it got here. Years like this make you appreciate and thank the Lord for the good years.

Latest posts