Hauling Silage with?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with hauling silage in this type of trailer? Cause of the drought conditions here and cost of what hay can be found, I'm going to buy/haul silage as I need it and feed in conjunction with hay. Before I purchase this trailer, is there anything that should stop me? Also any opinions on Big Tex? Thanks B&G

Are you hauling chopped feed that your going to pile and ferment. Or feed that's already been fermented?

ez14.":1hyt5bqh said:
Are you hauling chopped feed that your going to pile and ferment. Or feed that's already been fermented?

I'll be getting it from a buddy down the road as I need it, as he pulls it outta the sock. B&G

Black and Good":112gme5c said:
Does anyone have experience with hauling silage in this type of trailer? Cause of the drought conditions here and cost of what hay can be found, I'm going to buy/haul silage as I need it and feed in conjunction with hay. Before I purchase this trailer, is there anything that should stop me? Also any opinions on Big Tex? Thanks B&G

B&G I raise my own silage and that trailer is not ideal unless you are going to put sides on it and or buy a trailer with taller sides. I have big tex dump trailer and its been good few things they cheaped out on but overall I like it.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=113043&hilit=new+toy

If you are just going to feed with it, load with a loader this one would be lots better, especially the feeding part.

CroppedImage411291-forage-wagon-lr.jpg

skyhightree1":2l1mh5iv said:
Black and Good":2l1mh5iv said:

B&G I raise my own silage and that trailer is not ideal unless you are going to put sides on it and or buy a trailer with taller sides. I have big tex dump trailer and its been good few things they cheaped out on but overall I like it.

Sky, couldn't open your pics. Where I'm getting it is only 5miles away so, I thought i would just haul in small loads as to not have to worry about mold etc. I thought I'd just haul like 4 to 5 ton at a time. But I thought I'd put maybe 1' side boards on it. Then scoop it up and feed it in bale rings and tractor tires. B&G

If you are not wanting to use the dump bed for something different, you would probably be able to find a used forage wagon for less cost, if that is a factor. I still have a Swartz Forage wagon we used over 40 years ago and it still works fine. They don't make them like that anymore.

Black and Good":r2fcah5k said:
skyhightree1":r2fcah5k said:
Black and Good":r2fcah5k said:

Sky, couldn't open your pics. Where I'm getting it is only 5miles away so, I thought i would just haul in small loads as to not have to worry about mold etc. I thought I'd just haul like 4 to 5 ton at a time. But I thought I'd put maybe 1' side boards on it. Then scoop it up and feed it in bale rings and tractor tires. B&G

Here you go

Thanks Sky, my thoughts were, with me doing excavating work full time and I sub all my dump trucks, I thought this option would allow me to haul silage as well as use this trailer for other things. B&G

Black and Good":3bpcovsu said:
ez14.":3bpcovsu said:
How many head will you be feeding like this?

50 to 60. B&G
I can't tell exactly how big the trailer is but if you can fit 5 tons in there you should be just fine. That should last you maybe 3 days

ez14.":1zcm89ro said:
Black and Good":1zcm89ro said:
ez14.":1zcm89ro said:
How many head will you be feeding like this?

50 to 60. B&G
I can't tell exactly how big the trailer is but if you can fit 5 tons in there you should be just fine. That should last you maybe 3 days

Thanks for the help. It is a 7'x 16' Trailer. B&G

Black and Good":l2qksaon said:
Thanks Sky, my thoughts were, with me doing excavating work full time and I sub all my dump trucks, I thought this option would allow me to haul silage as well as use this trailer for other things. B&G

Yea, Makes sense however i would look heavily at 4 foot sides so you can haul a bunch or atleast 3 foot mine are welded on but of course you can make yours wood so you can take it off my trailer is used just for brewers grain and bread.

skyhightree1":39lswt82 said:
Black and Good":39lswt82 said:

Yea, Makes sense however i would look heavily at 4 foot sides so you can haul a bunch or atleast 3 foot mine are welded on but of course you can make yours wood so you can take it off my trailer is used just for brewers grain and bread.
it's not going to keep very well so depending on the weather he's not going to want to haul more than 3 days worth

That's a nice trailer with good running gear. You don't want one like in Sky's picture, 5 lug running gear won't hold up to tonnage. The small axles and bearings can't withstand 4 or 5 tons of product much less stop it.

ez14.":2wdubm74 said:
skyhightree1":2wdubm74 said:
Black and Good":2wdubm74 said:

it's not going to keep very well so depending on the weather he's not going to want to haul more than 3 days worth

Too many variables to say that

True Grit Farms":13zhgs8z said:
That's a nice trailer with good running gear. You don't want one like in Sky's picture, 5 lug running gear won't hold up to tonnage. The small axles and bearings can't withstand 4 or 5 tons of product much less stop it.

Mine is for loading up and taking to farms as its much easier to dump small quantities in a pasture with that than with a quad axle dump truck and not to rut it up too bad when its wet or get stuck. and is only got a payload of 5500lbs so no he wouldn't want my trailer but i was showing the sides i have not what to buy

Latest posts