Half of your hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

mwj

Reaction score
The old timers said you need to have 1/2 of your hay and 1/2 of your corn on Groundhog day. Is your feed supply holding out with all of the cold weather we have had. Sad to say those below 0 temps are starting the new month where I am. Warmer temps will be showing up by months end but we are a long way from having any grass at that time!

I believe that statement might be true for many areas of the country. I suppose the farther north we go the longer it is before spring green up. Some years here the cows stop eating hay in March. The ryegrass and fescue come out well the end of February.

I usually feed hay till the second week in April. I didn't put up any hay in 2013. Thought I'd empty my barn out. I have some hay in there that's 3 yrs old. They seem to eat it better than the newer hay.

I have over half my hay a good amount oats left in the field I can let them graze and still about half a tank of syrup but only 3 bags of cubes and don't want to buy any more dang things over $10 a bag

I have over 500 round bales left and since getting rid of some calves tomorrow will only feed maybe 4 a week now.

we have hay to go to april if needed.plus we got almost 2 inches of rain to kick off 40acs of rye grass.

The rescue grass started growing early this year. Then the rain stopped. There's a 30 acre wheat patch that needs rain too. There's enough hay to make it through February. Had planned on putting them on the wheat by now.

We have less than half but usually start seeing green next month. May end up buying some but probably not much.

Hay in the barn isn't a problem right now. I could run out of winter pasture and have to start feeding if the cooler temperatures hang around much longer. Day to day, moisture hasn't been a problem. It will be if all the light drizzle we are getting stops.

By the way....groundhog didn't see his shadow around here.

Latest posts