Guess I’m selling the wrong kind /Craigslist

Help Support CattleToday:

Most all the adds on the local Facebook livestock group for highlander calves for sale are a scams. People are gullible enough to make an online deposit on cattle they haven't seen and are miffed when the seller and cattle later don't seem to exist.

That's one breed I sure would not want. They would look worse than usual covered in mud in the winter, then would spend all summer in the pond.
When we got a Longhorn our vet said just as long as you don't get any Highlands, he said Longhorn are smart, Highlands are not.

People pay more for pets. Mini donkey sold for $3500 at the local sale yard. Full size (baby) jack donkey for $1700. The only way to get $4200 for that pair is to find a sucker who wants a pet. Plenty of them out there

Few years back stockyard had a couple of Buffaloes that run threw and had everyone's attention,on the catwalk ..brought 75 bucks a piece..

And this too shall pass...
It was Ostriches a few years ago. Miniature horses, Llamas, alpaca, pot-belly pigs... and recently designer dogs/mutts.
People often get taken to the cleaners with the current fad. Buyer beware... or even better... wait a few years and watch as the fad dies out and people get their reality check.

Yes, all "true cattlemen and cattlewomen" will tease and laugh about highland cattle. There is a place for them, mostly for the backyard, exotic, small farm, specialty, "pet" people. They have really good meat and have a huge benefit in the cold wet miserable weather... the double hair coat has a plus. The smaller size of the cuts of meat are appreciated by some. I have not personally had them but a best friend/practically family had them for years and they did quite well with them. Not aggressive with the horns. She said they were smart and took exceptional care of their calves. I had been around them so have some experience with them. I think the price on this pair is way off, but I have seen them bring in the 1500-2000 range often. It is like any of the "odd breeds"... there is a place and a following for them. The big problem is that too many "CLUELESS CITIDIOTS" see them and see $$ with no clue of what it takes... Just like the "emu craze".... But then a "fool is born every minute"....

And this too shall pass...
It was Ostriches a few years ago. Miniature horses, Llamas, alpaca, pot-belly pigs... and recently designer dogs/mutts.
People often get taken to the cleaners with the current fad. Buyer beware... or even better... wait a few years and watch as the fad dies out and people get their reality check.

Don't forget emus. People were borrowing money to buy breeding stock, and then wound up turning them loose because they couldn't afford to feed them. They didn't realize that all the money was in the breeding stock, with almost no market for the meat, or feathers, or whatever it was that were supposed to be able to sell to make them rich.

Must be up in the panhandle. I don't think those things would last a week up here in August without being in air conditioning.
usually it's the old "How cute" owners that don't have a clue.. that drag them into uncharted territory and they try too raise them..for other like minded people..

Don't forget emus. People were borrowing money to buy breeding stock, and then wound up turning them loose because they couldn't afford to feed them. They didn't realize that all the money was in the breeding stock, with almost no market for the meat, or feathers, or whatever it was that were supposed to be able to sell to make them rich.
LOL... the funny thing is, they were probably vegan and wouldn't even eat an emu so they didn't even have a use for the birds themselves.

Anybody reading this ever eat an emu? Do they taste like chicken?

LOL... the funny thing is, they were probably vegan and wouldn't even eat an emu so they didn't even have a use for the birds themselves.

Anybody reading this ever eat an emu? Do they taste like chicken?
I never tried it, but heard somebody say that they were bragging about how many ostrich burgers they sold at the state fair one year. The guy said that they never bothered to tell the rest of the story about how many ostrich burgers were thrown in the trash can with just a bite taken out of them.

Latest posts