grooming problem

Help Support CattleToday:

topstock

Reaction score
It has been a very long and cold winter here and I think there was not enough bedding at times as my sons Angus show steer has manure balls on his flanks. Any advice for getting them off with out tearing the hair out? (other than doing a better job keeping them clean :roll: )
1st show for the season is in early June.

What I do, is get them to the wash rack and soak them. And when you think you soaked them long enough, soak them some more. Then use a little dawn dish soap and scrub. On some of the really tough balls, I use a pliers to break them up and then put water on them.

Yea wash and brush and smack them off is about all you can do, unless you want to eat up your clippers cutting them out and having blad spots. Don't worry our not the only one with that problem.

Brush and blow the animal out then spray the manure balls with WD-40 or Fluid Film from John Deere (will not hurt the hair) let it soak in over night, then try and comb out the smaller ones. Then wash with soap and let soap set in, rinse and work on the dung balls, rinse some more, work some more. You may not get them all the first time, soak the remaining dung balls with the WD-40 or Fluid Film and repeat the steps on them again the next day.

EZAll works pretty good. And I've also broken them up with pliers.

Latest posts