Grass question Alabama

Help Support CattleToday:

Johnson grass or Sorghum Almum has its place though its not for everyone. It works wonderful in my heavy black soil bottom land in a pasture that is rotational grazed about every 30 to 45 days. If your hay is for horses, then you hate it. If its for cows it works well. It establishes easily, it reseeds its self all summer long, its does well in marginal soils. It doesn't take a lot of rain, its great to plant where erosion is a problem.

The field noted above had a horrible witch grass problem when I bought the place. I had trouble getting any short grass to establish as the witch grass would out grow everything and shade it out. There is not a herbicide to kill witch grass by itself that I know of and there is a ton of seed in the soil so glyfo only works for a short period before the other seed comes up. Anyway since I have been planting Sorghum Almum down there, things have changed significantly. The witch grass is still there but does poorly as the sorghum out grows it and shades it out. Every year the pasture gets a little better and I have noticed now that some of the plants I tried to introduce like Klein grass are suddenly coming up. I am picking up some SA seed tomorrow to no till drill into my oats as soon as I get it baled. This is late to be planting but the grass will grow until November here so not a big deal. My goal is the same as Fences. I want to graze the SA down hard in September, then plant oats into the lightly disced stubble. This gets me my hay started and gets the seed from the plants knocked down and incorporated into the soil. Hopefully after a few years of this I will not have to replant the Sorghum.

Here is some info on Sorghum Almum if any are interested. Sometimes the seed is easier to find than the Johnson grass. My cost is $69.25 per 50 lb bag. My small seed drill open all the way only puts down 10-12 lbs per acre which is the minimum for new established grass but okay for adding to the existing.

Did you have to order the SA or is there someone up there stocking it.??

Turner Seed usually has stock. $75 per bag. I bought mine from Producers co-op out of Bryan.

https://www.producerscooperative.com/ They have locations in Hillsboro and Heidenheimer. You don't have to be a member to buy. I'm not sure if they would ship it to you, I pick mine up in Hillsboro. The seed guy told me they didn't have a lot of seed this year.

I have a bermuda grass hayfield. Worked very hard to get it established. It's only 17 acres but I understand not wanting other grass in it as it devalues the hay to people who don't realize johnson grass makes better hay. The advantage to bermuda is simply what people will pay for it.
Nope, never seen those Johnson grass stalks test higher protein that good coastal bermuda fertilized to specs.

I don't remember if the OPo specified 'pasture' or 'hayfield' in his opening question. You bermuda hayfield guys (that's what I grew up with) may or may not be right, dissing the johsongrass & crabgrass in your hayfields... IDK.
But... if he's just going for some warm season grasses for the cows to graze... JG & CG get the nod all.day.long. over bermuda, in my book.
We did management-intensive grazing for 20 years... first thing the cows hit when they moved to a new paddock... Johnsongrass... then, crabgrass. Clovers, fescue, orchardgrass come in way behind... and they would hardly even touch the volunteer bermuda that was present in some paddocks...they'd eat wild sunflower & other WEEDS first.

I don't remember if the OPo specified 'pasture' or 'hayfield' in his opening question. You bermuda hayfield guys (that's what I grew up with) may or may not be right, dissing the johsongrass & crabgrass in your hayfields... IDK.
But... if he's just going for some warm season grasses for the cows to graze... JG & CG get the nod all.day.long. over bermuda, in my book.
We did management-intensive grazing for 20 years... first thing the cows hit when they moved to a new paddock... Johnsongrass... then, crabgrass. Clovers, fescue, orchardgrass come in way behind... and they would hardly even touch the volunteer bermuda that was present in some paddocks...they'd eat wild sunflower & other WEEDS first.
That volunteer Bermuda with slip the clutch on a mower..tough till its goes dormant or harvested then the cows will eat it ..horses have no trouble grazing it...with their upper and lowers..

That volunteer Bermuda with slip the clutch on a mower..tough till its goes dormant or harvested then the cows will eat it ..horses have no trouble grazing it...with their upper and lowers..
Good comments by all.

Whew! Godawlmighty,. I wish people could read. I made the comment, sorta jokingly, that as a HORSE HAY GROWER, these comments about PLANTING Johnson grass or crabgrass, made me cringe, as I have spent nearly 50 years battling to keep that sh&t OUT of bermuda hay fields. Never said a cow won't eat it, or that it might not make good cow pasture. Never have I ever sprigged bermuda for a pasture, either. Won't let anything, horse or cows, graze on a bermuda HAY field either. I have round baled so me bermuda that had johnsongrass in it, and when I set a bale out for horses, there wouldn't be anything but Johnson grass stalks and leaves left. That cutting, I had to sell as cow hay.

Latest posts