Grass question Alabama

Help Support CattleToday:

Cada22

Reaction score
I just rented a small place that needs a little boost on grass. Will be fertilized in next couple weeks. Is there a recommendation on a type of grass that can be broadcast that we might get any sort of stand this year with? I can't really take drill out to this place to plant like sorghum and I don't need anything that is really stalks. Would crabgrass germinate if it is not drilled?

What part of Alabama? North part is fescue country, south is warm season.

Central to north. Fescue probably needs drilled. I am looking for just a summer option. I think crabgrass would be best bet as long as it could be broadcast

I would spend my money on herbicide and fertilizer at least to see what you have. I have never had any luck broadcasting into existing forage. As Kenny says, it needs soil contact and then it has to avoid be shaded out from whats already there. There is no quick fix but a good herbicide will bring out whats there if there is anything.

No pics of it right now. Has a few random patches of fescue, but not enough to sustain anything long term. It gets some summer grass but nothing to speak of. Might be less than an acre that has some Bermuda. I was hoping the crabgrass would take over but I don't want to spend $360/50 lbs if I can't get drill out to it

My entire operation is propped up with volunteer crabgrass. Your mileage may vary.

No pics of it right now. Has a few random patches of fescue, but not enough to sustain anything long term. It gets some summer grass but nothing to speak of. Might be less than an acre that has some Bermuda. I was hoping the crabgrass would take over but I don't want to spend $360/50 lbs if I can't get drill out to it
Can't figure the random patches of fescue..where I'm at that's our primary source of early grazing..along with ladino clover and orchard grass .fescue is great at reseeding itself ..but better to in the fall. Moisture and root establishment .sounds like the place has been over grazed ..drilling in,,though you don't want too, is about your only option right now ,to get a decent stand..your crab grass root system wont handle turning them in on it right off..they'll be dead clumps every where in no time..spend the Money on fertilizer..unless your kicking dirt somethings coming back even common Bermuda.and crabgrass..you don't have to be a agronomist to grow fescue here..itll take over a good stand of coastal if it ain't kept up..

Last edited:
Planted in the fall ,then It's gone by May..
Exactly the way it works here. Annual ryegrass - planted late September to November usually. Plant early for good fall and winter grazing. Too early and there can be insect issues. Plant too late and you only get early spring grazing or a hay crop. Usually overseeded in warm season grasses (like bermuda) or planted as a standalone forage for grazing or hay - tilled or no-till). Ryegrass overseeded in warm season forages will delay the other forage in the spring and delay/decrease yield on the bermuda. Graze until May or cut for hay. Would never plant ryegrass here in the spring.

I've planted Red River crabgrass a couple times from Petcher seed in Fruitdale,Alabama. I broadcast it then drag a harrow or disk with blades turned pretty straight and had pretty good luck. Crabgrass likes bare soil so I'd think it'd do well where you describe. Petcher has it right now for $150 for 25 lbs. Might also look at mixing some of their sunn hemp with it, it's cheap and is supposed to be good grazing as well as building nitrogen. I've got some land I just cleaned up that was overgrown in saplings and briars, I'm going to sowe sunn hemp, sunflower, and buckwheat on to try and suppress weeds and build my soil at the same time. I'll graze it some if I get all my fence in order but if not it'll still serve a good purpose and be a good dove hunting spot in September as well as draw deer in.

Can't figure the random patches of fescue..where I'm at that's our primary source of early grazing..along with ladino clover and orchard grass .fescue is great at reseeding itself ..but better to in the fall. Moisture and root establishment .sounds like the place has been over grazed ..drilling in,,though you don't want too, is about your only option right now ,to get a decent stand..your crab grass root system wont handle turning them in on it right off..they'll be dead clumps every where in no time..spend the Money on fertilizer..unless your kicking dirt somethings coming back even common Bermuda.and crabgrass..you don't have to be a agronomist to grow fescue here..itll take over a good stand of coastal if it ain't kept up..
Patchy fescue: fescue responds well to good pH and it responds negatively to soil compaction. That is my experience. If you want fescue, use a summer legume like lespedeza, sunn hemp, cowpeas, or forage soybeans, add a little sunflower and bt millet or the crabgrass. Then plant the fescue in the fall. Somewhere in all of that - break the ground up in some fashion.

Latest posts