Grass produced heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

agmantoo

Reaction score
I am the person that is somewhat questioned at times regarding the manner that I produce the feeder calves I sell. For those that do not know me I consider myself a for profit low cost producer of decent feeder calves . These are animals from unregistered stock, seldom if ever wormed, fed on grass year round, receive only minerals as supplement and with no vet service. I am taking some of my older brood cows out of the herd and retaining some of my soon to be yearling heifers. I just wanted to share a pic of one of the heifers produced under the above mentioned conditions.
IMG00882-20110829-1732.jpg

Looking good to me, how much protein is in that long grass?? Mine have not seen grass like that since spring. Well done again!

highgrit

The paddock where the animals were grazing fescue in the pic is long (1800+ ft) and narrow (roughly 300 feet in width) running north to south between some tall trees on each side. Morning sun is slow to hit the grass and afternoon sun is cut off quickly so the grass is shaded a big part of the day. I have kept the grass in a vegetative state by keeping the seed heads clipped. It isn't the best forage this time of year but it is feed. It is the time of year for me to maximize the use of the available acreage as I have started stockpiling fescue to carry the herd through the Winter without hay. As far as the protein content I could only guess but from the information I have read I would think the protein is 14 % or better. The total digestible nutrient is low. Here is a statement as to the seasonal available characteristics of tall fescue ....
Table 4. Seasonal percentage changes in
chemical composition and digestibility of
tall fescue.

Spring Summer Fall
Sugars 9.5 8.5 19
Protein 22 18 19
D.D.M.* 69 66 74
*Digestibility Dry Matter
SOURCE: Buckner, R.C., 1975. Univ. of
Ky. Coop. Ext. AGR-44.

AllForage":2h0yqf1w said:
Sounds like you are doing things the way it ought to be. I would not question that.

Amen to that! Most of agmans posts are intriguing reading, because of the allgrazing approach.

I farm a lot like you do, but I have a couple of questions for you. When in the fall or summer do you start stockpiling fescue? When in the winter do you start grazing the stockpiledfescue and how much at a time? My Dad used to say that the fescue needed to be grazed before the temp. got down around zero, if it stayed too cold too long it would lose its desirability. can you comment on that? I am here in southeast, ky. Do you wean your calves for any length of time or do you sell them straight off the cow?
Thanks

Banjo said:
I farm a lot like you do, but I have a couple of questions for you. When in the fall or summer do you start stockpiling fescue?
I start at the end of August. I clip all the pastures that will be stockpiled to prevent any weeds that have not set seed from doing so. The paddocks that are still being grazed are closely allocated as I am at this time intent on carrying the entire herd to near year end on roughly 40% of the total pasture area.

When in the winter do you start grazing the stockpiledfescue and how much at a time?
About mid December I will start feeding the stockpiled fescue. Some years I can get by till early Jan. I want all the cows to be in body condition score of 5 going into our Winter here is zone 7. The behavior of the cattle will let you know if they are receiving adequate forage. When I go to move them and they are quiet and patiently mulling around I know they are receiving adequate feed. If they are bawling and anxious then they need more feed available. If in doubt initially, then observe how much they will graze down in 45 minutes and double that much area for a single days allocation. Adjust the allocation afterward based on their behavior.

My Dad used to say that the fescue needed to be grazed before the temp. got down around zero, if it stayed too cold too long it would lose its desirability. can you comment on that?

I have no comment on the desirability. My observation is that the animals seem equally anxious to eat the stockpiled fescue throughout Winter. I do know that given the choice they will ignore hay when the ground is ice covered and go back to pushing the ice and snow aside to eat the stockpiled fescue

I am here in southeast, ky. Do you wean your calves for any length of time or do you sell them straight off the cow?The feeder calves go from the pasture to the trailer. I receive no compensation for weaning or feedlot prep.

I have one herd averaging 100 mature animals and their offspring. The herd is moved daily from the consumed paddock to a new paddock. I send feeder calves weighing around 550 lbs directly from the herd to market. Feeder calves are marketed at least 4 times per year depending on size, weather (feed) and market prices.

I am 50 miles from North Wilkesboro.

agmantoo
seems like you have a working system.
sounds like you have a nice set of cows and i think i read in another post that you said your cows are a frame size 4
could you post pics of your cows ?

I think i read that you have your paddocks already in place in the spring and summer, correct me if I'm wrong, and you just open a gate everyday.
What do you do in the winter are you using the same paddocks or are you moving an electric fence everyday, which would become cumbersome in the dead of winter?
do you put up any hay or just buy what is needed?

Banjo said:
I think i read that you have your paddocks already in place in the spring and summer, correct me if I'm wrong, and you just open a gate everyday.I do not have permanent interior paddocks. What I do have are opposing parallel single high tensile wires layed out to try to match the contours of the hills and hollars where permissible. I then use polywire to make variable size paddocks that I allocate daily. I use polywire to vary the size of the paddocks to match the season and the state of growth of the forages. One polywire is behind the herd and another ahead of the herd. I have no internal gates. I just let the cows walk under a raised strand of wire.
What do you do in the winter are you using the same paddocks or are you moving an electric fence everyday, which would become cumbersome in the dead of winter?The interior single strands of high tensile wire are electrified. When I wrap the polywire around the high tensile wire then the polywire becomes hot. With a wet ice storm I do have a problem with the poly wire as the weight of the ice will cause it to sag. I have learned to use more closely spaced pigtail posts when such a storm is anticipated.
do you put up any hay or just buy what is needed? I sold my hay equipment. In the past 11 years I have bought hay twice, both times due to drought, one short and one rather lengthy[/b]

I see you have flies too............what do you do about that ? I suppose that is some of the deal with raising animals......just curious. I know they have pellets of food to worm a cow today but now sure any of them have much of a handle on flies.......nice looking cow. Peace.

TennesseeTuxedo":fwdgye5a said:
Are you saying that you take fresh of the cow calves directly to the sale barn?

Most of my people are from the Greensboro area but we have kin up in North Wilkesboro. What part of western Carolina are you from?

Nice cows huh? :)

What is your opinion of" Red River Crab Grass? " What sort of grass are the cows in that pic munching on? Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher said:
What is your opinion of" Red River Crab Grass? "I have only had the RRCG for two growing seasons. It was planted to supplement the other forages during the typically hot and dry period of late July and August. The second year growth was much stronger than the initial planting and produced some decent grazing. The cattle like it and ate it first when given access. What sort of grass are the cows in that pic munching on? Those animals in the heifer pic are eating some too old ky31 fescue, the endophyte type.

agmantoo":3he2dlkl said:
Kingfisher":3he2dlkl said:
What is your opinion of" Red River Crab Grass? "I have only had the RRCG for two growing seasons. It was planted to supplement the other forages during the typically hot and dry period of late July and August. The second year growth was much stronger than the initial planting and produced some decent grazing. The cattle like it and ate it first when given access. What sort of grass are the cows in that pic munching on? Those animals in the heifer pic are eating some too old ky31 fescue, the endophyte type.
Thank you very much for your reply. Thanks for your " herd picture." Did you plant the RRRG? How did you plant it an where did you purchase it? I spoke with the " grower" last month but he was out of seed untill January.

Latest posts