Grass ID?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sort of roughly resembles timothy, but more like either green foxtail or some form of millet. I can;t tell the difference between german millet and green foxtail but I've never got down to looking at the root and basic plant structure of either

Jogeephus":x9hxoluj said:
My first guess would be a foxtail. Pretty sure its not cogon. To tight and uniform.

I was thinking foxtail but seems ours has a fuller head but that sure looks like some subspecies of foxtail.

Caustic Burno":1le7et5a said:
Jogeephus":1le7et5a said:
My first guess would be a foxtail. Pretty sure its not cogon. To tight and uniform.

We are seeing cogon in East
Texas. Got hauled in here from somewhere.

We have it here. It came from packing material shipped in from China. Stuff is bad and of no use to anything. Most states have been given a lot of money to eradicate it. Here if you see it on your property all you need do is call the Forestry Commission and they will come out and kill it for nothing. Sadly, some states which were given the money pocketed the money and aren't using it for eradication like they are supposed to.

Funny you posted. I pulled one of those seed heads yesterday evening to try to match it up to something in my grass book but didn't find anything real close. I have it scattered around but not a lot of it.

I'm pretty sure it is Knot Root Foxtail. Cows will eat in hay or graze until it puts on the seed head. It's hard to control and spreads quickly.

Going with a Foxtail but not like the variety I have here.....came with the farm when I bought it 40 years ago and hasn't left....volunteer.

Mine is long stemmed (for the plant size, actual height maybe 4-5" if left alone), head 1 ½-2", short leaves. small plant regardless of fertilization. Ok for grazing when new but lousy for hay to bale and cows don't like it. Very prolific ground cover, very good at reseeding itself.

Texasmark":1nmlyler said:
Going with a Foxtail but not like the variety I have here.....came with the farm when I bought it 40 years ago and hasn't left....volunteer.

Mine is long stemmed (for the plant size, actual height maybe 4-5" if left alone), head 1 ½-2", short leaves. small plant regardless of fertilization. Ok for grazing when new but lousy for hay to bale and cows don't like it. Very prolific ground cover, very good at reseeding itself.

We have it what you describe on poor ground. Seems to fill in the thin spots. At the very tallest the seed head will be about 12-14" off the ground. I know what i'm talking about is different than the foxtail with the 4" seed head.

ClinchValley":xn2obi44 said:
Texasmark":xn2obi44 said:

We have it what you describe on poor ground. Seems to fill in the thin spots. At the very tallest the seed head will be about 12-14" off the ground. I know what i'm talking about is different than the foxtail with the 4" seed head.
The foxtail with the 4 inch seed heads around here is Giant Foxtail. Easy to tell it from the others cause the seed head is fatter and they also droop instead of standing upright

ClinchValley":sszs0207 said:
What are y'alls thoughts on the Giant Foxtail? It is spreading in one of our hay fields.
My thoughts are it's a pain in the butt. If you can get the cows on it while it's real small they will eat it. Once it starts to send out the shoot for the seed head they won;t touch it.

Y'all have success in eliminating it from fields? Wiper or something? Our back hayfield was abused badly for forever. It has a lot of it this year.

ClinchValley":3fnd51pc said:
Y'all have success in eliminating it from fields? Wiper or something? Our back hayfield was abused badly for forever. It has a lot of it this year.
I don;t think you can ever complertely eliminate it. we still have a patch of the stuff that comes up every few years in a different place. It took probably 5-6 years of correct ph and fertility to get it to not be as dominant

Latest posts