Good bulls cheap.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score

confessor cromwell

These are some of the bulls that sold cheap. Every bull had a BSE, HD50K, and scored in the top 66% out of all the bulls tested. The bulls also get culled on temperament. Why anyone would buy a commercial bull when you could by one of these registered and tested bulls for the same money makes no sense.

It is obvious the buyers at this sale were buying numbers. I see the Georgia universities are preaching the same sermons as UT.

Advertisement is always aimed at the cosigners. The top bull sold for $xxxx dollars. You never see an ad saying we sold X number of bulls for under $2000. So those buyers looking for a decent bull at a cheap price never come because all they see is bulls out of their price range.

A lot of bull out there. :nod: We usually try to buy an above average bull at a lower average price sale. Seems to be the best value.

Now that we have all this genetic testing data, will there may be a leveling of the playing field over time? Better prices for "good bulls" from newer seed stock operations, and lower prices from some established programs that made poor choices?

That looks like bargains on bulls....With those at least you know what you are getting....

What a shame. I have been there, recently as a matter of fact. Buyers dont understand or care that you have $1000 in the development of that bull between drop off and sale day. Not all of us was smart enough to use SAV President or whatever we should have two years ago.

How a person can sell a performance-tested bull for $1400-1700 is beyond my math. The few test stations left in Canada charge nearly $1000 for a 120 day test. Many have shut down as they are not remotely as popular as 25 years ago.

At an auction a bull brings what their worth....that day. Same as at the sale barn for your steers or heifers. You either need to be there and prepared to bring them home or take what someone is willing to give you and move on. The best deals on bulls is in Lakeland, Florida, but you just don't know what your buying.

All Breed Bull Sale
Fri Feb 01 2019 at 01:00 pm to 04:00 pm Add to calendar
Cattlemen's Livestock Auction Market, Inc.3305 US Highway 92 E, Lakeland, Florida 33801, Florida, United States
Cattlemen's Livestock Auction Market, Inc. Follow Contact

Most folks don't seem like their willing to travel to save money. But Lakeland is the best bang for the buck when it comes to buying bulls.

We've attended a few bull sales. Mostly to scoop up some females we wanted or to show support for fellow breeders. I like to look at the bulls and see if anything is appealing to me. May change my mind on breedings this spring.

Sales were down but not bad. Our own Bull Sale was just $60 below last years average but had a new record on our top seller. We did no sale 4 bulls (which isn't computed in our average), but we'll have them sold private treaty come pasture time.

A guy I know, bought 17 bulls at one sale we were at recently. He bought the bottom 17 bulls for around $2K average. He runs a massive cow/calf operation and just needs bulls. He just needs things bred and if you can buy a bull that cheap, you can regain your cost after the summer breeding when you send him for slaughter. And...Don't have to worry about where to keep him thru the winter.

We have a bull test in Nebraska. I like the information they collect on the bulls. Their performances. Very valuable info. I'd consider a bull from there.

jscunn said:
What a shame. I have been there, recently as a matter of fact. Buyers dont understand or care that you have $1000 in the development of that bull between drop off and sale day. Not all of us was smart enough to use SAV President or whatever we should have two years ago.

I was after a red Angus bull that sold last but he ended up doing alright for someone. The Tifton bull sale averaged about $1k more per bull than the Calhoun bull sale in December, if you throw out the top 2 and bottom 2 bulls. Normally it's the other way around.

I would say$2,000.00 for a bull on test is about the break even price. By the time you figure in cost of the test, value of the calf etc. Consigning to a bull test can sure take the starch out of you, when they have a bad year.

gizmom

Latest posts