General Lee

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryder

Reaction score
Today, Jan. 19, marks the birthdate of General Robert E. Lee.
Although he was gone from this earth realm before my time, I, for one, truly admire and reverance this great man.
May his legacy of character live on.
I salute you , General.

Is it still legal to honor someone who fought for the South, Ought to have a Southern holiday for him, we could have a General Lee March.

Red Bull Breeder":1zb39kwv said:
http://arkansasmatters.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=384776&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed
The new Mayor out at the county seat thought we should honor General Lee, other folks didn't think so. None of our black community had any objections.

Why the confederate battle flag? The one Ryder has as his avatar is one of the numerous "official" flags of the confederacy.

ALACOWMAN":3euxk4iv said:
kenny thomas":3euxk4iv said:
Virginia does have a Holiday for him and Andrew Jackson combined. We honored them last Friday.
did ya'll get the day off like folks did monday?? for marching luther king day
:cowboy:

Yes, we got off Friday for Lee/Jackson day and also on Monday for the other guy.

Red Bull Breeder":b35y1bz9 said:
http://arkansasmatters.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=384776&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed
The new Mayor out at the county seat thought we should honor General Lee, other folks didn't think so. None of our black community had any objections.
Just let me get a bus loaded an headed up 65.

Don't why he used the battle flag TB, likely the only one he had. Jed do i need to tell the hardware man there a coming. We could get them some signs put up so they will no when they get here. We got some old ones a laying around somewheres.

Red Bull Breeder":1w2fo0uu said:
Don't why he used the battle flag TB, likely the only one he had. Jed do i need to tell the hardware man there a coming. We could get them some signs put up so they will no when they get here. We got some old ones a laying around somewheres.
no doubt its the only one they had.. bet they aint many southern folks white or black know what the stars and bars flag is, or was..... but they all know the battle flag

Just finished watching the movie Gettysburg. Recognized a lot of actors. A sad time for our nation. I don't see the glory in war.

kickinbull":21d5j99x said:
Just finished watching the movie Gettysburg. Recognized a lot of actors. A sad time for our nation. I don't see the glory in war.
Someone send me an email the other day with a lot of old original Civil War photographs attached. Amazing at the carnage....still the deadliest war in American history with over 600,000 soldiers killed and unknown number of civilians.

I love American history, especially military history and The Civil War. I've come to believe that Lee was one of the greatest military leaders of all time, with Jackson not far behind. The North had the resources and manpower but the South had better leadership, IMO. Grant was pretty darned good but he was no Lee.

ALACOWMAN":3gqf01l6 said:
Red Bull Breeder":3gqf01l6 said:
no doubt its the only one they had.. bet they aint many southern folks white or black know what the stars and bars flag is, or was..... but they all know the battle flag
The stars on the American flag represent the number of states in the Union. For that reason, the appearance of the American flag has changed many times over the years. The original flag, known as "Old Glory," displayed 13 stars to represent the original 13 states when the nation declared its independence from Great Britain in 1776. Today's flag has 50 stars because there are now 50 states. The last two stars were added in 1959, when Alaska and Hawaii joined the Union, bringing the number of states -- and the number of stars on the flag -- from 48 to the present 50. The flag has not changed since then. The stripes represent the 13 original colonies.

This is what we were taught in school about your flag.

Red Bull Breeder":32fh410o said:
I bet you do
I wonder why none of your african american folks minded the Lee holiday ;-) probably the same reason none of ours would mind

our local paper has a column with things that happened 25,50,75 and 100 yrs ago
a few weeks ago in the 75yr colum was an news item "saying a negro man had been seen walking down the hyway it was a spectacle because negros are seldom seen in this county unless they are someones driver or part of a traveling show as there are no negro residents in this county"

things haven't changed here in Booger county much in the last 75 yrs

Chrissy we was not talking about the stars and stripes. Was talking about the flag of the confederate states.

AC things ain't changed much in Searcy County Arkansas in the last hundred or so year as far as the color of the population. You can get Jed to tell you about the old signs, he has heard the story. Talking about them on this thread will get it locked.

Chrisy,

While the subject is on the Confederate flag, you are correct on your information on the American flag. The red is representative of the blood shed for the country, the white is for the purity of the country and I do not remember what the blue is representing. Perhaps someone will tell us that remembers.

Latest posts