Gate Latch

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
I made a gate latch the other day and installed it on a store bought heavy duty pipe gate on the corral. I bought two of the hinges that swing on the hinge pins. I placed them on a horizontal member of the gate (the one the chain latch is on). I ran a 5/8 inch steel rod through the hinges. I bent the end of the rod into an "L". I intend to weld a washer on the rod between the hinges to act as a stop. The end of the rod slides between the gate post and a vertical 2x6 nailed to the vertical boards on the corral. It's a lot quicker and safer than messing with a chain.

I have made some simular. I take one of the hinges and put it on the gate about midway up. On the post I mount a plate with two u bolts welded on. Just swing the gate and drop a 5/8 pin. On some of them I have a rope on a pulley tied to the pin so it can be opened just by pulling the rope. One advantage to making latches like this is the gate can swing both ways.

Why not just use a slide out of old sucker rod? Bend it 90 degrees and drop it behind a slot when engaged into a hole in the post.

I prefer the chains such that I can lock up if need be. A piece of flat bar with a slot in it welded to the gate holds the chained gate shut. If you want to lock the gate, wrap the chain around the gate. Otherwise, drop it in the slot and river flooding cannot open it when it is completely under water.

I really like the Kiwi latches. I buy a generic version at the local Co-Op.
gatelatch.jpg

Their web site is http://www.kiwigatelatch.com

Most of my gates are made of 1" square tubing. I can buy hinges and the Kiwi Latches at The Co-Op. I find it best to have the gate swing into the pen, so the stress is on the gate, not the latch. REALLY nice to be able to securely lock a gate, yet be able to open the latch with the bulkiest mitts on.

John

Latest posts