gain rates on finishing holsteins

Help Support CattleToday:

kscowboy

Reaction score
morning folks , ive got about ten steers , some angus / holstein crosses and my question is this , what should my adg rate be when moved onto finishing feeds , I found a curve chart months ago on the web and can't relocate it and Im wondering what weight I should hit before moving to a finishing regimen. These boys are all between 8-900 lbs now and have been putting on 75-90 lbs per month on free choice grass hay , currently are getting supplemented with about 8 lbs per day , 2/3 20% cubes and 1/3 corn plus daily minerals. If I have a 90 day finishing should I be hitting about 1100 before beginning targeting for a 1500 lb finish weight. Your thoughts and advice appreciated !

I have an extensive history with holstiens however I can't help you on this one. My growing ration and finishing ration are the same. The only thing that ever changes in my ration is the amount of corn and that changes almost daily.

Thanks Somn , i remember reading that after hitting 1100 lbs the efficiency / converting gets more difficult , these guys have done a good job of gaining consistently and Ive read your posts on feed formulas which i'll move them to shortly. figure by the end of Feb I ought to be close to 1100 then I'll pour the coal to em , thanks for the input .

We used to raise holstiens til corn prices went to 3 dollars the other year now we backround X-bred calves. We still finish a few holstiens and jerseies tho for our own meat and such. We finish them on ground ear corn with shelled corn and protien mixed in and then some rough hay jsut to keep them from bloating and u will know if one isnt fealing good if they dont come to eat hay. We feed them with a self feeder and just make sure it full. I would shoot for a 1300# finish weight becasue 1500# is jsut to hard to do with holstiens since they have such poor conversion of corn to pounds. Packers don't want that large of critter either so u wont get as good of price. You can tell when they are fat thought by just looking at them. When they start filling out and not growing taller and they get a good thick brisket and then they will get a little bubble of fat on each side of the tail. Thats how we tell. Good Luck.

iowafarmer":3v0flf9x said:
I would shoot for a 1300# finish weight becasue 1500# is jsut to hard to do with holstiens since they have such poor conversion of corn to pounds. Packers don't want that large of critter either so u wont get as good of price.
IBP will bid me more for the 1500's than they do 1300's everytime. Must be just a difference in personal choice of the buyer.

Latest posts