For You That Worship at the EPD Altar!

Help Support CattleToday:

Like most computerized data, EPD's are "garbage in = garbage out". They are only as valid and useful as the data which is entered. I think you need to know the breeder as well as the numbers.

I happen to like the AHA EPDs on Jerry Huth's Hereford bulls. Jerry is into data. Here are the EPDs from my latest Huth bull, Z072. His first calves will be hitting the ground in about a month.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...814E0EEE01C30F50E160A3B02E91414141C10111A1E17

I like the graphical representation of the numbers.

I realize these are "low accuracy" numbers as George often points out. However if they are even 20-30% off this is still very useful information. The previous 3 Huth bulls I have owned have lived up to their EPDs.

I also like the performance pedigree data for each registered bull. This tells you how his calves have actually done.

As said earlier, EPDs are just one tool ion the toolbox. But EPDs are only as good as the data they come from.

jmho.

btw here are a couple heifers that have been grazing corn and came up behind the house this morning. I snapped their picture. I really like the heifer #17 on the right. She is the result of breeding just a couple generations concentrating some Huth genes.

Long, low, good heart girth, good eye pigment, smaller frame score, looks like will have a good udder. This is the type I am looking for. EPDs, from a trusted source that believes in data, are helping to get there.

IMG_1398_acoupleheifers030414_zpse469f4f7.jpg

#17 bred to Z072 may be one foundation of my herd for a long time.

Jim

Latest posts