Foot rot

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
So we are dealing with Foot Rot for the first time in 40 years of raising cattle here in Central Florida. It has been plenty wet, but 10 days before Hurricane Dorian acted like he was coming here it got dry, then our cattle had the issue.

The cattle are on pasture and have full access to the ponds, with no real way to prevent them from getting into the ponds.

We run about 25% purebred cattle (Angus, Brangus and Charolias) and the rest commercial. The purebred angus had two get pretty limpy, but we also had 4 crossbreds get some infection too.

In our situation, what is the best treatment for foot rot, and best preventative measures. Have seen that there is a vaccine, anyone have any luck with it?

TIA

If I catch it early and the cow is out to pasture quite often feeding them Sustain III Cattle Boluses will do the trick. That said I prefer to bring them in and thoroughly inspect the foot to make sure it's truly foot rot and not something stuck or an abscess. Mild cases generally respond to LA300 and I scrub the foot, go over it with diluted iodine and seal with Kopertox. Advanced cases, I use Draxxin.

We've had an unbelievably wet year and so far no foot rot (knock wood!) but we're also feeding mineral with CTC. The VFD clearly states for anaplasmosis only (which is a huge concern in KS) but may be somewhat of a preventative measure for foot rot.

I have no experience with the vaccine but also interested if anyone has used it, how well it works.

Had my first cases of it here this year as well. LA 300 did the trick quick along with cleaning the injured area and applying koppertox. Read several opinions on the vaccine and most lean towards it being ineffective. I also keep out quality mineral with CTC. The bacteria that causes footrot is ubiquitous and the cows natural defense is usually enough to protect it from infection. However, in very wet conditions, the bacteria is highly present along with a softening or weakening of the tissue between the 2 clefts of the hooves. Once this weakened tissue is injured(via a rock, stubble, abrasion, etc) the opportunistic bacteria enters and the infection begins. Basically, you must have an opening or injury for the infection to occur. Preventing that opening is our best chance at defense. Move to dry ground with less risk for injury( i.e., no rocks, sticks, twigs, trash, thorns, briars, etc). Good luck!

My husband always recommended IODINE in the loose mineral for prevention of foot rot. I heard others on this board also recommend it.
When we have a case of FR - we always take couple pieces of baling twine, put 3 or 4 knots in it near the center, then run it back & forth between the affected toes to clean it out real good. Stinks like heck, but is efficient. I give sulfa and a 300 product.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
My husband always recommended IODINE in the loose mineral for prevention of foot rot. I heard others on this board also recommend it.
When we have a case of FR - we always take couple pieces of baling twine, put 3 or 4 knots in it near the center, then run it back & forth between the affected toes to clean it out real good. Stinks like heck, but is efficient. I give sulfa and a 300 product.
I do something similar but with old towels cut into strips, vet calls it flossing. Maybe RP stinks worse than foot rot but depends on the severity and NUTHIN washes that smell out of your hands. Gloves are your friend!!! And a strong stomach.

We've been plagued lately, but our ground is thorny, and rocky, actually expected more cases earlier in the year. In the pasture, drax, when we can get them up 300. Got one right now, treated her this morning, one of last years heifers, she's doing better. But she was an escapee over the winter, and the neighbor had to doctor either her or the other one. If it was her, I'm going to sell her, because the few cases we have had, some of them are reocuring cases.

Used to use the vaccine on the bulls prior to turn out. It didn't seem to lessen the incidence, but I think they responded to treatment more quickly.
Animals infected with it here get antibiotics via the medi-dart, as when this occurs they tend to be miles from home.

Thank you everyone for your help and information.

Looks like more wet weather is going to hit us this weekend with a tropical depression. Just in time for deworming on Saturday! YAY!