Food plots

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
Last Wednesday I plowed the food plots and got the "dust" all worked up. A neighbor about 1/2 miles away said he saw the dust cloud and knew I was plowing. The gound was so dry that I think I carried about 1/2 the dust on the tractor when I left the plot.

Since I had my wheat seed & spreader with me, I went ahead and broadcast me seed. My thinking was, I would rather get the seed out and pray for rain, than to wait on rain and then try to plow when it dries up. I would also run the risk of not being able to plant if it stays wet.

I hit is just right. Plowed and planted on Wednesday. Saturday night & Sunday we got 1.5" of rain. This should have settled the Dust and will be enough to get the wheat started.

Nowland Farms":vjl5iebc said:
Woo - Hoo, another good rain on the food plots today. Should have wheat up in a few days.

Nowland Farms.......if those food plots start producing more deer than you can handle just call me.... :lol:

The food plots are not doing much because it is so dry here. We have not had enough rain to get them going. Have about 60% monday and 30% for a few days. We will see.

Maybe that distrubinance in the yucatan will kick up some rain.

The wild turkeys and doves sure appreciated the winter wheat I planted. If it ever rains I doubt if there will be any seed left after they got through

dun":v0w327kc said:
The wild turkeys and doves sure appreciated the winter wheat I planted. If it ever rains I doubt if there will be any seed left after they got through
Same situation here.

1982vett":3af8f1ja said:
So has anyone gotten any rain in the last 43 days?
The 1st and 2nd of last month we got 10 inches. That was the first since the beginning of June and none since.

7th, 8th, and 9th of September was our last. Got 3 inches over 3 days. Go back from their to Aug 16 when we got 3/10ths and another month back for the one before that. So one rain in the last 67 days and two in the last 90 days. And we thought 2006 - 2009 sucked. :?

I've got 18 acres of winter pasture out of 80 that came up and hasn't completely died yet. 40 of the other 60 was dry planted so it should be ok yet.....maybe. The other 20 could go either way. Would like to have done 20 more but not much point in that now. Haven't had to feed hay yet. Still have a little stuff you could call grass that is keeping the cows satisfied but that won't last much longer. Even if it did start raining wouldn't get much growth on anything till spring so it looks like hay and mineral is the menu this year.

We have went from extreme flooding May 1st to drought since about mid July. I want to plant some grass. Neighbor came by, asked what we were up to. Getting ready to seed. He suggested that we should wait for a rain, then rework the ground and then seed it. He said "it's kind of like frying meat in a dry pan". He had good luck seeding into Nov. like that. I worry that once it starts raining we won't be able to get back to seed it. 60% for tomorrow nite. I guess we'll wait. Planted some oats & ryegrass in Sept, I think turkey's got it.

1982vett":2dmp04dv said:
Nowland Farms":2dmp04dv said:
Maybe that distrubinance in the youcatan will kick up some rain.
HMM... Maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket.... :lol:

Hate to pick at sore wounds..........but thats going to pay off just like most lottery tickets. Amazing how these "forecasters" know squat anymore. All their sophisticated tools are crap. Dam, all you have to do is look out the window or look at the pictures from the billion dollar satellites.

By the way, the promises of rain for today looks to be another goose egg.

dun":1ra2oftu said:
1982vett":1ra2oftu said:
By the way, the promises of rain for today looks to be another goose egg.
Yup, it sure looks that way

I've been watching this coming for a couple days.......Hope it might change some patterns for a while. Maybe even head southeast like they used to.

hipacsat_None_anim.gif

Looks like it is tearing itself in half now. Had a typhoon type swirl to it yesterday.

Well earlier this week the food plots had just a hint of fine green wheat in them. They have een planted a month and all they got was two small rains a few days after planting. Not really enough to wet the soil since it was like powder when I plowed and planted.

However, in the last 72 hours we have gotten over 3.5 inches maybe close to 4 inches. Maybe this will kickstart the growth so I will have something green to hunt over on the opening day of gun season which is the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

Latest posts