Florida starts it's premise id program this week

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
Just for anyone that's interested. In florida, if you sell any animal over 18 months through a sale barn it's got to have a premise id tag. Registration through the department of ag. Anything not tagged over 18 months that you sell through the sale barn goes straight to slaughter. So of you want top dollar for a cow that can be useful on someone else's farm, better register and tag it.
Right now the only way around it is private party sale.
Just a heads up. This snuck through. Last I heard it was being considered and since them nothing has come across my desk saying it took effect.

I aint heard nothing....ill just sell em at 12 mos..geez they look awful big there fella..yepper..only 12 mos old

Yes it snuck thru. Went into effect
9/4 . I'm trying to read up on it and see how it effects me cause I sell in Alabama.

No Hook its not your beef check off dollars at work. It is your Fl cattlemen not standing up and saying hell no. If no one plays the game it won't work.

They have had premise ID here for years. It has no teeth though. They have been able to force 4h kids into having id's in order to do fair stuff that's pretty much it That sucks about the barn requirements.

Spoke with the ASCS office this morning. There is a 60 day grace period. enforcement starts on NOV 4th. apparently they are supposed to have usda folks at the markets enforcing it after that date. If your Market is a tagging facility they will tag them there and you can transport to the barn with out a tag. He said even if you do that the market is going to require a premise ID for your farm. I told him that Premise was not covered under the constitution like Property is. He just gave me a canned answer on how this program would benefit producers and the public.

Red Bull Breeder":3w0lrae4 said:
You folks stick together and nothing will come of it.
The more research I do the more I am convinced it's here to stay. I will say that there are some loopholes that will allow some flexibility. A large majority of cattle producing states are already on the program. In searching the various states in the program Arkansas does have a premise id it's just voluntary at this point. I am at somewhat of a disadvantage as I have to transport cattle across state lines. Alabama has a id program already.

they already do this for veg farmers...either gotta go on the rail or private...just as well..i cant grow em fast enough for buyers..specially since my bulldropped the ball on me

dieselbeef":2uunbsjp said:
they already do this for veg farmers...either gotta go on the rail or private...just as well..i cant grow em fast enough for buyers..specially since my bulldropped the ball on me

If your a goat farmer( I'm NOT) you have had to have a scrapie tag for the last couple years.

Howdy,

I'm pretty new round here, but let me chime in real quick. I've been involved in this whole thing from a tag perspective for a few years and I can confirm that it's definitely here to stay. Has nothing to do with or checkoff and everything to do with exports and trying to reassure or customers that IF we have a problem we'll be able to nip it in the bud before it affects them. We'll all have top play by the rules when they go into effect. All the states are working hard on compliance right now, buy there are real challenges to overcome. Not sure they'll get it done by the deadline, but there trying. Each state is at a different stage in their efforts. It doesn't affect every class of animal, but it does affect all of us so it's going to be a pain in one way or the other. Hate it, but like the higher prices we're getting in part because of exports....

Latest posts