First time ever...

Help Support CattleToday:

Will ya'll run sheep where the solar panels are being put? I looked into solar panels where I work and that's what they told me alot of people do is run sheep in there to keep the grass down and the panels provide shade and shelter for the sheep.

Little Joe said:
Will ya'll run sheep where the solar panels are being put? I looked into solar panels where I work and that's what they told me alot of people do is run sheep in there to keep the grass down and the panels provide shade and shelter for the sheep.

Thats the plan. I wont get into sheep, but, sheep are the plan.. There are normally no sheep out here because so many things like eating them. But, the solar place will have a 6ft+ chain link fence around it. So that should help...

MurraysMutts said:
6 ft fence ain't nothin for ol wyle e coyote... lol

Its a security fence, with barbed wire at the top... Hopefully at least it will slow them down.. I doubt they can jump over it... right?

You'd be surprised. I've seen Dogs n yotes clear 8 foot fences when they are hungry and theres sometging on the other side in heat. Lol

Not many sheep folks local to us here. I know theres a few. They usually have woven wire. And not that tall. But there always seems to be a pyranese in there with em.

We learned that you can make side money off pines... Pine sap.......no kidding, people buy it.. Just damage the tree a little and come back later and scrap off the sap.. you sell it just like that. Anyone else heard of this weirdness?

Nesikep said:
Logging is going full steam up here!

They have to make up for all that toilet paper sold by hoarders... and for all the hand wipes and mask... right?

cowgirl8 said:
Nesikep said:
Logging is going full steam up here!

They have to make up for all that toilet paper sold by hoarders... and for all the hand wipes and mask... right?

Yup, and our town makes veneer for plywood.. the stuff used to board up all the dead businesses

SO, turns out the solar farm doesnt want the pine land.. Which, is really what we wanted. Hated clear cutting. This way we keep the corrals over there and we can keep some cows out there and trees for future money. Loggers say they'll thin, which is what they needed. Yeah, hated clear cutting with prices down, but, for what we've heard on prices, we were getting the high end... It isnt the best land for trees, but, their first years were drought years, they've grown so much the past several years..so maybe they'll end up good.....

Silver said:
Heard on the radio the other day that lumber is at record prices these days.
That is the truth! My wife and her brother own a truss factory and lumber is higher now than it has ever been when they can find it. They use a couple different lumber brokers and sometimes they don't have any for days. According to them the people that make treated lumber are buy every stick they can get their hands on at any price. This has created a drastic price increase in everything.

spoon said:
Silver said:
Heard on the radio the other day that lumber is at record prices these days.
That is the truth! My wife and her brother own a truss factory and lumber is higher now than it has ever been when they can find it. They use a couple different lumber brokers and sometimes they don't have any for days. According to them the people that make treated lumber are buy every stick they can get their hands on at any price. This has created a drastic price increase in everything.
Its like beef... prices low on our end, but go buy a brisket, some people are paying over 50 bucks... that use to be the cheaper cut..

Latest posts