First one lost

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
I was having a good spring season until I got home yesterday evening..out checking & feeding the cows.. found one of my heifers in the north shed.. laying there with a dead bull calf. She looks like she had it ok..but I know she must have strained because she could not get up. Afterbirth was removed except from some of the head, but that is the 2nd time I have had a calf born in one of my sheds and it died. i think they suffocate because of the loose dirt getting all mixed in with the afterbirth and mama doesnt get them cleaned off in time. DANG... i hate losing one like that!
I loaded up the calf and disposed of it.. then got a bucket of water and feed.. took it to the heifer, and she drank and ate nearly all the feed.
Tried getting her up about 6 times and she finally stood for a while .. wobbly as I helped balance her by holding her tail. She finally went back down and it was getting dark. So I went to the house. I am hoping she got up today. I had to leave for work before daylight.. so this afternoon I will see about her again. If she is still down, I will get the hip huggers on her and stand her up.
I hope that is the last one I lose this year.. but. who knows?

Real sorry to hear about your calf.......Do you think heavy straw in your shed might help with the dirt in the airway theory?

branguscowgirl":109kypit said:
Real sorry to hear about your calf.......Do you think heavy straw in your shed might help with the dirt in the airway theory?
It could.. but my sheds are about 75' x 30', and I have three of them.. just wouldnt be feasible. plus, my cows would eat it up. :nod:
Its not very often that has happened, I just attribute it to being a young mama cow.. she will learn to go to the woods like the others do.

give her a shot of dex, that should help her out a bit with swollen nerves, etc... She should be fine given a bit of time and well.. extra attention

I lost a calf yesterday from a cow with a bad hip, guess I should of culled her. She wasn't even showing very well (bagged up or sloppy) and when I got to the farm after work her water bag was out and shes quiet so I reached in there and pulled a 50lber out dead. Second dead one this year which isn't bad but I must have thirty sum with partially frozen ears. Yuck!!

Hate to read of you guys losing calves. Hope the rest of the season goes better.

fitz

I hate to hear that Limomike, Hope your heifer comes out of it. I always hate when they have them in stupid places. Like next to the pond and stand up to quick with calf half way out and spin around, calf goes airborn into pond! LOL :bang:

Black and Good":1jozg080 said:
I hate to hear that Limomike, Hope your heifer comes out of it. I always hate when they have them in stupid places. Like next to the pond and stand up to quick with calf half way out and spin around, calf goes airborn into pond! LOL :bang:

Yep.. sounds like you have experienced what you described.. I never have had that happen, but plenty of other "bad" births.

Latest posts