Finishing weight -- horns vs. no horns

Help Support CattleToday:

Gale Seddon

Reaction score
Is it realistic that an animal without horns would weigh 100# more when finished than one with horns (assuming same breed and same age at slaughter)? Does growing horns take that much away from the animal?

Gale Seddon":2nqeedc7 said:
Is it realistic that an animal without horns would weigh 100# more when finished than one with horns (assuming same breed and same age at slaughter)? Does growing horns take that much away from the animal?

Yes, with elephants. Oh, it was supposed to be the other way around, without horns.
Don,t see were it would make any diference.
Most people dehorn for safty, less damage to other cattle, and to make them look more apealing.

How big are the mommas... I have Dexters that will wean a calf almost as big as some of the other Dexter cows are as mature animals, lol... But no, I don't imagine the mere precense or lack their of of horns would make a difference once way or the other... Don't know though, never had a polled Dexter but the steers that we have left horns on of the commercial cows always grew at comparable rates to the ones that were polled.

Momma could also have given polled baby a big head start on the horned one with better milk produciton... I would think it would close a bit though..

If you have say 20 head in a pen being fed, you have 2 or 3 with horns. I think the total weight at sale time will be significantly less than if all the cattle were dehorned.

About the only weight difference you'll see with dehorning animals is the stress caused by the actual dehorning. Thats why its much better to catch them early, and use a paste, versus cutting later in their life. Either that, or learn how to do it quickly and with as minimal stress as you can manage.

But I doubt you'd see any more than 10 or 20 lbs of weight loss. About the longest I've ever seen a dehorned animal off his feed was a week, and when he piled back onto feed, he came right back.

Rod

wouldnt you think that if yo u dehorned them they would weigh less becasue there in shock ?

Shock/stress isn't a permanent state of being. Do your dehorning properly, and I don't believe you'll see a heavy hit to your weights, especially if you hold onto the animals and feed them for a few more weeks/months. My dehorned animals all weigh in with my polled animals, and I never see a particular trend to more or less weight. Last year, my highest gaining steer was dehorned. Would he have weighed more if I hadn't lopped off the horns? I doubt it.

Rod

Makes no sufficient difference that i've ever noticed...some cattle just gain more than others...horns or no horns makes no difference

I really appreciate the responses and thank you. I read about this on another board and it seemed a little odd to me, so that's why I thought I'd bounce it off you guys. I couldn't see where simply growing horns would require that much energy, feed, etc. Thanks again!

The only scenario where it might make a big difference is when horned and polled steers are finish in the same pen and the horned ones keeping the polled ones away from the feedbunk.

My understanding of horns vs de-horned is horned ones bring less at the sale time. Supposedly feed lots/order buyers discount for horns due to body damage they cause other animals which inturn decreases the value of the whole lot being fed.

My grandpa loved a nice set of horns on a cow so all of his are fairly large horned (12-16" each horn in length). Like everyone says though the horned ones will keep the polled or dehorned from eating and when you have a large number in a corral it can get messy. As much as I like the looks of a horned cow, it makes life much easier without them. If they keep horning the polled ones, I am half tempted to glue bright yellow tennis balls onto the horn tips (even with the tips cut off they still cause damage).

Gale Seddon":2m2253i8 said:
I really appreciate the responses and thank you. I read about this on another board and it seemed a little odd to me, so that's why I thought I'd bounce it off you guys. I couldn't see where simply growing horns would require that much energy, feed, etc. Thanks again!

That should teach you to visit another board! With me as the only exception, this board only allows people on it that know what they are talking about. ;-)

Jogeephus":226k8eqm said:
Gale Seddon":226k8eqm said:

That should teach you to visit another board! With me as the only exception, this board only allows people on it that know what they are talking about. ;-)

Ha ha, you are right (about visiting another board). But I'd venture to say you are pretty much on top of knowing what you're talking about. Hey, you never told us about that neat cabin where you were cooking out, the one with the Spanish moss.

Were they talking polled vs horned within a breed?
Lots to be debated there I would think.
Does breeding for the polled characteristic take away from the other traits - weaning/finished weights?

Latest posts