Finishing Steer questions

Help Support CattleToday:

rlrobinhood

Reaction score
Hi all,

We've been raising cattle for about four years and are now paying a lot of attention to finishing. We have a very small herd (2 pregnant Scottish Highland cows, 1 pregnant black angus and a steer). The steer is a cross, Panda (small bull) and black angus (cow). The steer was born on the 4th of July (no joke, lol). We have a butcher date of September 5th. The steer has been weened (we used a nose weener) and has been fed hay during the winter.

Although we live in Wyoming, I was born and raised in Iowa. The last cow we kept and butchered was 100% grass raised. I miss the Iowa corn belt fed and finished meat, so we want to grain finish this steer. I'd like to hear suggestions and recommendations on how to best go about this.
  • During the winter, the cows have had full access to over winter pasture. We've also been feeding them hay twice a day hay and about 4lbs of corn a day (for the herd of 4).
  • We are continuing to feed them the same but have them in a corral to allow the pasture grass to grow a little before we kick them out on pasture. We rotational graze in the spring/summer and will be kicking the cows out to pasture in the next couple weeks.
  • The steer is the lowest in the pecking order, so he likely is not getting much corn, but gets plenty of leftover hay.
  1. Would it be OK to separate out the steer and leave him in the corral by himself to finish? This would allow him full access to hay and grain. If not, what would you recommend?
  2. Because we are such a small operation, we buy corn by the bag. Is there a different product you would recommend instead (like sweet feed or something else)?
  3. We were thinking that if we separate the steer, we will begin feeding him 5 lbs. of corn a day and then bump that up 1 lbs. per a week for the next 4 weeks. Then bump it 1/2 lbs. per a week till butcher. We will also make 20-25 lbs. of hay available each day.
    1. Another option is I also have access to barley straw that has a fair amount of seed in it as well.

Thanks in advance for wisdom and guidance. I've learned so much here just lurking and searching. Much appreciated!

I would contact your local CO-OP or an elevator or feed dealer to see if you can purchase a tote (big bulk bag that can hold 1000-2000# of corn) to cheapen up you feed cost. Steer will be fine in a separate pen, especially if he has across the fence contact with the other critters. If you are feeding twice a day he can even run with them and come in for feed. He will learn to go to his separate pen to get fed - close the gate til he is finished then let him back out. Start with the amount of grain he is getting now and slowly ramp him up. Allow him 30 minutes to finish his grain and scoop up what he doesn't eat. Then turn him back out. Feed at same time every day. Should fatten right up.

Thanks GoW
I would contact your local CO-OP or an elevator or feed dealer to see if you can purchase a tote (big bulk bag that can hold 1000-2000# of corn) to cheapen up you feed cost. Steer will be fine in a separate pen, especially if he has across the fence contact with the other critters. If you are feeding twice a day he can even run with them and come in for feed. He will learn to go to his separate pen to get fed - close the gate til he is finished then let him back out. Start with the amount of grain he is getting now and slowly ramp him up. Allow him 30 minutes to finish his grain and scoop up what he doesn't eat. Then turn him back out. Feed at same time every day. Should fatten right up.
Thanks GoWyo.

Hi all,

We've been raising cattle for about four years and are now paying a lot of attention to finishing. We have a very small herd (2 pregnant Scottish Highland cows, 1 pregnant black angus and a steer). The steer is a cross, Panda (small bull) and black angus (cow). The steer was born on the 4th of July (no joke, lol). We have a butcher date of September 5th. The steer has been weened (we used a nose weener) and has been fed hay during the winter.

Although we live in Wyoming, I was born and raised in Iowa. The last cow we kept and butchered was 100% grass raised. I miss the Iowa corn belt fed and finished meat, so we want to grain finish this steer. I'd like to hear suggestions and recommendations on how to best go about this.
  • During the winter, the cows have had full access to over winter pasture. We've also been feeding them hay twice a day hay and about 4lbs of corn a day (for the herd of 4).
  • We are continuing to feed them the same but have them in a corral to allow the pasture grass to grow a little before we kick them out on pasture. We rotational graze in the spring/summer and will be kicking the cows out to pasture in the next couple weeks.
  • The steer is the lowest in the pecking order, so he likely is not getting much corn, but gets plenty of leftover hay.
  1. Would it be OK to separate out the steer and leave him in the corral by himself to finish? This would allow him full access to hay and grain. If not, what would you recommend?
  2. Because we are such a small operation, we buy corn by the bag. Is there a different product you would recommend instead (like sweet feed or something else)?
  3. We were thinking that if we separate the steer, we will begin feeding him 5 lbs. of corn a day and then bump that up 1 lbs. per a week for the next 4 weeks. Then bump it 1/2 lbs. per a week till butcher. We will also make 20-25 lbs. of hay available each day.
    1. Another option is I also have access to barley straw that has a fair amount of seed in it as well.

Thanks in advance for wisdom and guidance. I've learned so much here just lurking and searching. Much appreciated!
Big Horn CO-OP has barley for 8.5 cents per pound at their elevator here in Riverton.

I would definitely find a good feed in bulk. I would not feed sweet feed, mostly corn or as mentioned barley diet is needed for finishing, I don't know much about barley as it's not popular in my area. Seperate the steer from the others. Feed him 5lbs/ day for a few weeks and gradually ramp up feed until he's eating at least 2% of his body weight in grain daily. I usually bump up their grain intake every few weeks by 5 lbs/day until I hit that 2%. They will get to where they are eating 20-25 lbs/day, once I get over 15lbs/day I start feeding twice a day.

Latest posts