Fetal Programming beef cows. If you don't feed them, don't expect much...

Help Support CattleToday:

In a cow calf operation...
For the most part your herd should be able to live, reproduce and raise calves on the resources provided by your land . During times of extreme weather you may need to help them out. Drought, deep snow etc. If you're having to feed cattle regularly year after year. You might be able to improve your land and/or your cattle and do better, but most likely you've got either to many cows, or not enough ground.

Logical reasoning says a cow that requires more maintenance, and energy to maintain year to year WW averages, is inferior to a cow that requires less to maintain year to year WW averages.

Caustic Burno said:
True Grit Farms said:
Caustic Burno said:
That's a typo of 450 at 8 months right?

Nope that's just telling it like it is for our spring born calves. I have 10 calves from heifers that weigh less 900 lbs. I breed my heifers early trying to keep them on the smaller side once they mature. Our fall calves will be 75 to 100 lbs larger because we supplement them. But they won't net anymore money, 450 to 550 lbs is the sweet spot to sell calves around here. We're finally getting our commercial cattle where we want them. CB, you know the deal, it's not how much you make, it's how much you keep that matters.

I agree 450 is the sweet spot on weight to sell.
Just needs to happen at 6 months IMO, that's a 70 pound calf at birth putting on two pounds a day is a realistic ADG.

Why in 6 months? I get paid by the pound not by the day. Most cows get 60+ days between calves for R&R before their next calf is due.
CB, I've tried a lot of different things management wise. I have Braman influenced cows, Hereford, Angus, SimAngus, Charolais X, Simmental cows and who knows what else is in some of my sale barn crayon looking herd. I'll try just about anything so let me know what you think is causing my low WW. We only get about a third of the rainfall you get so I'm wondering if that could have something to do with it? My guess is that I'm just severely overstocked, if we don't catch a rain this week I'll be culling a load a week till it rains. My cows get nothing but mineral, bahia grass and whatever the woods will provide them with for the next 6 months.

Grit not being critical I started culling for the better cow years ago. It's a competition here and if a cow can't wean within 10% of her peers maintaining BCS she is culled for a better cow that performs on grass and minerals.
I figure it cost a buck and a half a day to keep one that is producing the weight calf I want in six months just like the one that isn't performing.
What blew my mind was the spread you had in weaning weights more so than the weights.

True Grit Farms said:
************* said:
Nesikep said:
I don't mind if the cow loses some condition while she's milking if the calf is growing well.. as long as she regains it after weaning and is in good shape for the next one.

This year I broke down and bought a molasses/protein tub for the yearling heifers and first timers, they can use it, but at $180 a tub I don't see how anyone can make those things pencil out for a herd

It pencils out when it comes to increased fertility

Fertility is a heritable trait, around here our cows calve within one year or their gone. Branded a lot of things you post make it sound like there's a fertility issue in your herd? I mentioned this when you first came on CT, you said you had a cow AI'd five times and the bull ended up getting her bred. If you keep giving second chances and making excuses to not cull, you can end up with fertility issues. We have a favorite older cow that lost her calf May 7th. I called her bred when we were working cattle. So against my better judgment we kept her and she hasn't had a calf yet. Those big brown eyes my wife has, clouds my decision making process. So far about 98% of our sorry, mismanaged, malnourished calves make it to the trailer in their lifetime.

https://youtu.be/eczIt-LR-LE

Grit, fertility is not an issue here. AI'ng the amount of females that we do comes with some challenges, which could be easily taken care of with our bulls, but then we wouldn't have the calves we are aiming for. We aren't focused on speed as much as the final product. At the end of the day we want a particular calf and will wait if we have to in order to get it on the ground.

When I have mentioned that we had a couple that took multiple AI attempts, and then the bull finally got the job done, I also didn't mention that they were old as dirt. Many people drop kick them out of the herd, but I see merit in the older mommas, they like in humans, are the backbone of the herd. Have you ever noticed how a really old cow gets respect from the younger, bigger cows? It's true, a herd has a hierarchy, and ignoring it has its own downfalls, which I will talk about in another discussion. I've had some of my very best females come from 14-year-old cows that I must have AI'd 2-4 times.

As for fertility in the younger females and heifers, they have no issues getting settled. The only heifer I had issues with this year was a granddaughter of Leachman Right Time and a Joy Erica cow. Not sure what was going on, but we put our SAV Harvestor son on her and he settled her right away. Must have been my fault at AI, because the bull didn't suffer the same issues with her.

Overall, my herd is pretty stress-free, and problem free. They are given all they could need, and they live pretty relaxed, uneventful lives for the most part. Occasionally something will happen like the cow dying the other day, but we have only lost 2 cows to an accident in the past 7-8 years. 1 cow died last year because she around 15 and time got the best of her. Other than that, they last, and they produce. So three cows out of a herd of around 70 at the moment over the past 7-8 years isn't too bad, knock on wood.

The biggest challenge I face is not fertility or any of the other issues mentioned on CT, it's quite simply the market. I've said it before, and I will keep on saying it until I'm blue in the face, most producers in the area are totally fine with an example that can stand, moo, and not die. When I start discussing average daily gain, EPD's, or pedigree, the eyes glaze over. When that issue resolves itself, things should be smooth sailing.

You mentioned on another thread that 2 pounds ADG suited you fine. If that is what works for you, don't change a thing, that is probably about the average around here, except you are probably ahead of the average by a hair. On my operation, that is not acceptable, I need to see 3.5 or I feel like something is going in reverse. In fact, I'm getting closer to 4 pounds ADG without creep since we went aggressively into AI. If I poured the feed to the calves, I could probably hit 4.5 a day in time, but a nutritionist that I respect said that they would perform better if I held off creep and fed them aggressively after they are weaned. I followed the advice and things are working out well.

With that being said, I'm odd man out. How do you present a bull that has a -4 CED and a 800-900 weaning weight to buyers that have mature cows at 1100 pounds? Unless I have a bunch of buyers like Richmn who can make it happen, then I'm left with a dilemma. One reason why I am planning on sending as many bulls as I can out to Midland when I can do it, AND why I use sexed semen so much, females are much easier to sell versus bulls in my opinion. By the way, not all of my available bulls have negative CED's, my two President sons are calving ease.

I don't want a pat on the back for what I'm getting ready to say, but VERY FEW seed stock producers would open up like I do, and share what's going on, they would just tell you everything is wonderful, "we have nothing but glowing success". Truth be told, they are slaves to their client base, and don't have the freedom to really cut loose and do whatever they want with breeding decisions. That is one reason I greatly admire Kelly Schaff, he's running the show on his terms from what I can see, and that is usually where the best animals come forth from. It does indeed take a "thick wallet" to pursue that path, but the journey is highly rewarding when what you imagine comes to fruition right in front of your eyes. I'm only going around once, and I'm playing for keeps.

I think you're misunderstanding epigenetics, Branded. You seem(once again) to be trying to justify constant feeding and convince us that your cattle are better for it. Why in the world would I want my cattle programmed from conception to require me to feed them constantly?

cow pollinater said:
I think you're misunderstanding epigenetics, Branded. You seem(once again) to be trying to justify constant feeding and convince us that your cattle are better for it. Why in the world would I want my cattle programmed from conception to require me to feed them constantly?

So what have you engineered into your herd? Cows that barely eat?

I'm not telling you what to do. If you want to make sure they have the minimum they need to function, have at it, I'm sure it works fine for you.

My plan is different.

************* said:
cow pollinater said:

I'm not telling you what to do. If you want to make sure they have the minimum they need to function, have at it, I'm sure it works fine for you.

My plan is different.
I don't own cows anymore so it's a moot point discussing what I've engineered into my cattle. That being said, I'm still quite positive that you don't have a firm grasp of epigenetics. Either that or you just enjoy wasting money.

cow pollinater said:
************* said:
cow pollinater said:

My plan is different.
I don't own cows anymore so it's a moot point discussing what I've engineered into my cattle. That being said, I'm still quite positive that you don't have a firm grasp of epigenetics. Either that or you just enjoy wasting money.

Only time will tell.

Nesikep said:
I don't mind if the cow loses some condition while she's milking if the calf is growing well.. as long as she regains it after weaning and is in good shape for the next one.

This year I broke down and bought a molasses/protein tub for the yearling heifers and first timers, they can use it, but at $180 a tub I don't see how anyone can make those things pencil out for a herd

We can't make the numbers work on it. We don't use them.

Richnm said:
Maybe everyone should stop worrying about WW , and YW since they don't feed thier cows anyway. I totally agree with Branded, unlimited feed. YW and WW will be <0 without enough feed. If you want to starve your cows get Corrientes.

Corriente s need to eat to. They just do a lot better on a lot less

hornedfrogbbq said:
Nesikep said:

We can't make the numbers work on it. We don't use them.

It's absolutely the worst value on the dollar for buying protein. You got 60 lbs of protein for 3 dollars a pound.
For the same money spent here you could buy 1000 pounds of 2-1 @ 26% protein in a super sack . For the same money you could have fed 260 lbs of protein. You're buying convenience .
Much cheaper to build a bulk feeder to supplement.

Ah crap. I didn't feed my cows well enough and now they are skinny and will have poor calves. Guess I have to sell out while the getting is good and see if callmefence can set me up with a job building fence.

CreekAngus said:
I don't understand why this is such an issue, as cattle producers we feed what we have available or can afford.

Sack will rob the profits out of a cow quick, you can't starve profit into one either.
IMO it's more about being a grass farmer, good grass equals healthy cattle along with longevity.

Aaron said:
Ah crap. I didn't feed my cows well enough and now they are skinny and will have poor calves. Guess I have to sell out while the getting is good and see if callmefence can set me up with a job building fence.

To he// with building fence , we'll feed cows....

https://youtu.be/42ElM58hbZg

Fetal programming happens every day, every bred cow, every fetus. There can be as much problem for a fetus from too much feed or a different feed being overfed or fed in larger amounts to the dam than it will be exposed to after birth and as an adult producer. There have been articles and stories about such over the years. Whether you out cross, line cross or linebreed, this is part of the uncontrolled 90% of environmental influence that you will not beat or buy (afford) a favor for the future. That said, it seems to take two generations of gestational programming to make outcross cattle work the best here. But we are hot, humid, fescue based and make money on what we do not spend rather than providing all that seems the best. Just part of it and a realist expectation in the transfer of animals from different climates and forage bases.

Caustic Burno said:
CreekAngus said:
I don't understand why this is such an issue, as cattle producers we feed what we have available or can afford.

Sack will rob the profits out of a cow quick, you can't starve profit into one either.
IMO it's more about being a grass farmer, good grass equals healthy cattle along with longevity.
Once again it depends on your environment and the feed available. Out here in the Northwest, most of us on the west sides of the states only have pasture for 3 months, 9 months of feeding. On the east sides, it's either irrigated pastures for six months or high desert, high desert you ain't going to be grass farmer. Folks having an opinion about how others feed or operate is nonsense, unless you're in the same environment and have the same goals, your ability or want to feed will be different.

Latest posts