Fertilizer with Grazon next

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Trying a couple buggy's this year on some newly acquired hay ground. Anyone tried it ? Already seen some sick looking broadleaf weeds along with some clover .

When you spray herbicide in water or liquid fertilizer, good coverage of the weed is important. There is a recommended range of gallons per acre of water and recommended pressure range on the nozzle for effective results. When herbicide is applied in granular fertilizer, the herbicide is mostly going on the soil. Moist soil or rain will move the herbicide into the ground where the roots can take up the herbicide. Seems to me that most of the results has to come from the residual chemical instead of the 2, 4-D. Unless the granular fertilizer is spread with a very heavy dew or in the rain. Think about spraying 2,4-D on the ground around a weed, will the 2,4-d kill the weed from the soil?

The herbicide manufacturer says that weed control is less compared to conventional application.

I talked to an applicator here one time and he said it works good as an early way to get chemical down in hay fields and such. It gets in the soil and helps them from really getting going. Like us, we are getting blown away right now with 30mph einds it seems like the last 2 months. You could run gran fert and herb on your hay and not fight drift issues.

But ya, I don't think it's intended for heavy duty use.

Manufacturer fact sheet on use with dry fertilizer. That 200#/acre minimum fertilizer rate is a pretty high rate if you are applying in urea (46% N) or ammonium nitrate (34%N) single application.

Attachments

• DF_GrazonNextHL-Chaparral_Dry_Fert_Weed_Ctrl_with_FAQ_FactSheet.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
I've used it as well as Duracor applied to granular fertilizer. It all depends on what weeds you're trying to work on and what stage of growth they are in. Neither were effective on mustard (growth starts too early in the season), but they pretty much eradicated all of the clover from my hayfields. Still working on getting rid of the mustard using other methods before re-introducing the clover.

Like everything else, it's a tool to add to your bucket. But it's far from a one and done that it was marketed as. I give it a solid "Meh..."

Is that 2 4D PD ?
No it looks like that is something else.
Some of what I've found:

2,4-D and 2,4-DB

This is the broadleaf king slayer of herbicides. Land managers commonly use this to spray oat, sorghum, rye and wheat plots. Used correctly, it kills broadleaf plants - including clover - without damaging grass. This is a systemic chemical, so spray it when undesirable species are already present. That said, 2,4-D can remain active in the soil up to 30 days. Imazethapyr is similar in that it will kill certain broadleaf plants, but it can remain active in the soil up to 45 weeks after application - so it's only useful if you want to go full scorched-earth on a plot. Always read the label to determine how long sprays remain active.
Butyrac 200 (2,4-DB) is similar to the more common variety, but there are certain legumes that it will not kill. This makes it a better spray option depending on your goals. While it will kill brassicas, chicory, most forbs, and many other popular broadleaf species, there are some types of alfalfa, corn, certain cereal grains, clover and other perennial legumes that it will not kill.
Clinch, Thanks for the feedback. I'm in Central Texas or I take it.
I'd like to try it.....

I've used it as well as Duracor applied to granular fertilizer. It all depends on what weeds you're trying to work on and what stage of growth they are in. Neither were effective on mustard (growth starts too early in the season), but they pretty much eradicated all of the clover from my hayfields. Still working on getting rid of the mustard using other methods before re-introducing the clover.

Like everything else, it's a tool to add to your bucket. But it's far from a one and done that it was marketed as. I give it a solid "Meh..."
I've hit some hedge mustard with 2,4D-Amine in a hand sprayer…knocks it down pretty good

I tried it this year, on neighbors fields I cut hay off of. Has to be 200lbs/acre. They swung a round hoop under the conveyer drop. As pellets dropped into the buggy, Grazon liquid was sprayed onto the falling pellets. The granules seemed to be coated very well. I need to go check my results.

I've hit some hedge mustard with 2,4D-Amine in a hand sprayer…knocks it down pretty good
2,4d works fairly well on wild mustard here locally if you hit it in Feb or early March, before it bolts. Once it bolts, it's pretty tough. Spreading fertilize coated with Grazon in late March to April with hopes of controlling mustard in our locality is a fairytale.

Latest posts