Fertilizer analysis???

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Anyone ever had their fertilizer tested when they are loading you? Early April I picked up a load of a little over 4 tons, all urea and AMS. Got the test results and it didn't meet the guaranteed analysis. Letter states a penalty to the dealer of $250 and says they have 90 days to pay me. Anyone had tis happen before?

Pretty common if folks pull the sample. Same for checking bagged minerals on the ingredients on the tag. You don't always get what you think. Either the mixing operator is off, the scales are off or worse in the fertilizer deal and likely the minerals. A major seed company just pulled the entire offering of a fairly expensive seeded bermudagrass variety because some folks checked the germination from some early planting concerns and it was way off.

Years ago I tried a new brand of some high end minerals. The cows would eat a bag in 30 minutes and had never been starved for minerals. I decided to see if they would eat more one day and after they ate 3 bags in less than an hour and a half (30+ pairs) I told the guy at the store. He said that he would send a sample to be analyzed to the salesman if I would bring it in. I did and in a few weeks the salesman told Mike that the mineral that I sent was not their mineral. End of that deal.

Anyone ever had their fertilizer tested when they are loading you? Early April I picked up a load of a little over 4 tons, all urea and AMS. Got the test results and it didn't meet the guaranteed analysis. Letter states a penalty to the dealer of $250 and says they have 90 days to pay me. Anyone had tis happen before?
Did you collect the sample, the dealer, a third party? Like Kenny, I've never heard of this being done.

Yes I've had a state inspector catch a sample once when he was there when I was getting some blended fertilizer. Neat sampler on a handle that he carefully moved from side to side as he caught the sample off the belt.

How far was it off?

Latest posts