fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

libertygarden said:
Well, that's pretty much the way I see it. I was just curious how people get perfectly straight fences. I rest my foot on the t-post plate, and when I feel the ground I pound it one more time and done.

P.S.

For the record, I haven't asked the neighbor to compare willies. Not yet.

You been watching me drive tpost????

Don't mind gb...you gotta remember he lives on a sandbar. ....

That's the truth about clay soil. Two weeks ago I was getting stuck in the mud; last Saturday the ground was dry and cracked.

libertygarden said:
Unrolling wire solo:

Get one of these.

A930677.jpg

sstterry said:
Get one of these.

A930677.jpg
I'd hate to know I had to unroll very many 80lb rolls of the old low carbon 12 ga red brand type wire with that. Even a 44lb roll of gaucho is a pita just keeping it away from your jeans leg.
On top of that, many rolls nowadays don't have a handle or inner frame on the roll to attach the tool to.

greybeard said:
sstterry said:
Get one of these.

A930677.jpg
I'd hate to know I had to unroll very many 80lb rolls of the old low carbon 12 ga red brand type wire with that. Even a 44lb roll of gaucho is a pita just keeping it away from your jeans leg.
On top of that, many rolls nowadays don't have a handle or inner frame on the roll to attach the tool to.

It unrolls away from your leg and you can place a bar in the handle to hook it to the lift arms of your tractor or to the back of a truck or utv. Also, with the bar, two men can carry it with lots of clearance.

sstterry said:
greybeard said:
sstterry said:
Get one of these.

A930677.jpg

It unrolls away from your leg and you can place a bar in the handle to hook it to the lift arms of your tractor or to the back of a truck or utv. Also, with the bar, two men can carry it with lots of clearance.

It works but there's nothing easy about it. I have one that I made that rolls on the ground it works but it's not easy either.

I had one and it broke. It's a PITA to use those little things with 4 point 12.5 spools. If you are going to walk it, better get a buddy and use a pipe.

Probably had the cheap Chinese knock off that just has small spot welds. I will guarantee you couldn't break the originals, I know because I used them for years. and if you are using it correctly there is no problem with the wire catching on your leg. I know all of this because my father invented it.

The patent expired years ago and the ones made for the last 15 years or so are junk. Ask Kenny Thomas, he bought one from my father at the Louisville Farm show back in the '90s. I was led to believe that he liked it.

But use what you want. I know what works for me and all the people that sent letters in when he sold the original.

It is what it is. And that is a improvement over kicking the roll of wire. Or running a stick through it and walking backwards. Fits in the truckbox with half a roll for repairs.
If you're gonna build a fence, you'll wanna build something like liberty did.

Sstterry, I wasn't aware your father invented this device. So I meant no disrespect. I got mine at tractor supply, but I don't remember the brand. Also, I was not using it as intended. If you look at the picture I posted a couple of pages back when the Google camera caught me fencing, you'll see I was using the tool to hang the spool and then walk the strand.

libertygarden said:
Sstterry, I wasn't aware your father invented this device. So I meant no disrespect. I got mine at tractor supply, but I don't remember the brand. Also, I was not using it as intended. If you look at the picture I posted a couple of pages back when the Google camera caught me fencing, you'll see I was using the tool to hang the spool and then walk the strand.

No offense was taken. It matters not my relation. But like I said the new ones are made in China of inferior materials. If callmefence prefers your set-up I will defer to him because he is the professional. I just know how it was intended to work and that he never had a complaint about them breaking. Hard to get the original these days. The ones we still use have been in use for over 25 years.

I have about 600 yards of wire to pull for an internal fence. However, I have 7 rolls, 4 low carbon OK Steel, 12.5 and 3 rolls Gaucho Pro Cattleman 14 ga. The question: Is there a problem if I use the top 2 strands with Gaucho and the lower 3 with OK? I'd basically be mixing high carbon and low carbon of different gauges. Or should I use the same wire?

Thank you.

I've done it a few times...mixed bag sort of thing. Just know you will be re-tensioning the low carbon wire quite a bit and often.

libertygarden said:
I have about 600 yards of wire to pull for an internal fence. However, I have 7 rolls, 4 low carbon OK Steel, 12.5 and 3 rolls Gaucho Pro Cattleman 14 ga. The question: Is there a problem if I use the top 2 strands with Gaucho and the lower 3 with OK? I'd basically be mixing high carbon and low carbon of different gauges. Or should I use the same wire?

Thank you.

No problem.
I build most of my stuff out of leftovers. Sometimes even spicking the two together.
Fwiw if stretched properly you won't have to restrech low carbon wire. I've got miles on my place that's 40 years old and still as tight any thing I've ever seen. It just takes a little extra time and effort.

Thanks for the wealth of information. What do you mean stretch properly. I've broke 12.5 gs with a puny come along. After that time, I take it a little easier.

I put these two puppies in today by hand, 4" deep. I still need to put another one as it will be a double H assembly.

libertygarden said:
I broke a strand of wire yesterday, but I was pulling with the truck :(

That's stretching it properly. Splice it back together. Restrech and it will stay tight. You've taken all the stretch out of the wire.
With time you'll learn to take it right to the threshold without having to break it.
Fwiw
A good come along will break 14 gauge high tensile bw with plenty left in the tank

Just a fence story

Talking with my last great uncle in the cafe this morning. He told me about a story about his dad and older brothers building fence with a couple of Mexican hands that lived on the place. They had a horse trained to stretch barb wire. The horse would ease up real slow and easy and hold. For whatever the reason he couldn't remember, they where using a different horse one day.
The wire broke and the horse spooked. The barbwire got around one of those Mexicans and he got drug, ended up dying. Said they just took him out and buried him. He's either on my place or my cousins place. Nobody's sure.
That makes three I know of dying working this place.

Latest posts