fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":jojb4twc said:
Full fence job start to finish. Sorry I don't have the fast forward capability farm does.....
9:16 am 37 miles from the house. I had to wait about 20 minutes for the property owner since I sold the job over the phone.... never been here.

10:40 all pipe drove and braces being built.

Post driver laying on the ground..means all the iron is in.

Unrolling Barbwire.....12:41
Customer showed up and we talked about 30 minutes on lowline Angus vs miniherefords........... :roll:

2:37........done

We did start at 7:30 cleaning the previous day's mess off two trucks and trailers. Had to load materials for this little job of 984' and plug a tire......so 6 hours. Including set-up and windshield time.....
Do you run over your string line backwards and drive the post as you go?

True Grit Farms":2untqfn8 said:
callmefence":2untqfn8 said:
Full fence job start to finish. Sorry I don't have the fast forward capability farm does.....
9:16 am 37 miles from the house. I had to wait about 20 minutes for the property owner since I sold the job over the phone.... never been here.

10:40 all pipe drove and braces being built.

Post driver laying on the ground..means all the iron is in.

Unrolling Barbwire.....12:41
Customer showed up and we talked about 30 minutes on lowline Angus vs miniherefords........... :roll:

2:37........done

We did start at 7:30 cleaning the previous day's mess off two trucks and trailers. Had to load materials for this little job of 984' and plug a tire......so 6 hours. Including set-up and windshield time.....
Do you run over your string line backwards and drive the post as you go?

Quite often yes but every job is different.
Usually I straddle and back down the line to keep from marking up the pasture..... when that's a issue.

i didn't notice the hydraulic down pressure.

that looks like a nice unit

callmefence":1qnxwfah said:
ddd75":1qnxwfah said:
skid steer rock drill is quite a bit faster.

Your very very wrong sir.

If that was true I'd be using one.
The PTO drive is faster than hydraulic drive, you can apply greater down pressure and the auger doesn't walk like on a skid steer.
What kind of driver you have there?

Turkeybird":ibzkvimu said:
callmefence":ibzkvimu said:
ddd75":ibzkvimu said:
skid steer rock drill is quite a bit faster.

Your very very wrong sir.

If that was true I'd be using one.
The PTO drive is faster than hydraulic drive, you can apply greater down pressure and the auger doesn't walk like on a skid steer.
What kind of driver you have there?

Well right now I have a shaver three point. A danauser skid steer driver ,and a rhino air driver....as well as a couple of gas tpost drivers.....

callmefence":2cohjxo0 said:
fence_it":2cohjxo0 said:
Winter fencin' and a real post driver ;-) And yes it does work. :cboy:

https://imgur.com/LDTnxAl

https://imgur.com/8MMqco3

https://imgur.com/vKBumyo

Nice rig.
I really wish I'd bought a super slide type rig for my tractor mount driver. I bought the shaver 12 and it's just got more than you need driving pipe. I'm gonna sell it and by a three point driver with the hydraulic slide.
Sell for how much? Is drill pipe better or worse than the galvanized tube for price and quality?

True Grit Farms":ratumz9b said:
callmefence":ratumz9b said:
fence_it":ratumz9b said:

Nice rig.
I really wish I'd bought a super slide type rig for my tractor mount driver. I bought the shaver 12 and it's just got more than you need driving pipe. I'm gonna sell it and by a three point driver with the hydraulic slide.
Sell for how much? Is drill pipe better or worse than the galvanized tube for price and quality?

Probably gonna try to get 6000.00
Still in good shape has hydraulic tilt.
Edit....I'm in the market for a gently used small seed drill :hat:

New drill pipe is better than most galvanized pipe. Simply because it's made of much higher carbon steel. I can drive drill stem in rock where most galvanized pipe will bend. Most galvanized pipe runs ss40 at the heaviest. Problem is there is a pretty good spread to spec ss40.
So there can be a good difference in wall thickness and it still be ss40. I spent 15 years building commercial chain link. Both as project super and subcontractor
Fort Worth Federal prison
State prison at Brownwood and venus
Us mint at fort Worth
Commanche peak nuke power plant ( where boogie works)
Texas motor speedway
Carswell air Force Base
Fort Army reservation
And dozens of high school sport complexes.
And the list goes on.
I know galvanized pipe. The lower quality and thinner walled pipe is no good. I want at least a quarter wall thickness and prefer 5/16 .
The 1/8to3/16 will bow between the ground and the horizontal. And of course it will also rust away faster.

Now you take to equal post of course the galvanized is better. Better value depends on your climate.

callmefence":2ye24bhs said:
True Grit Farms":2ye24bhs said:
callmefence":2ye24bhs said:
Nice rig.

New drill pipe is better than most galvanized pipe. Simply because it's made of much higher carbon steel. I can drive drill stem in rock where most galvanized pipe will bend. Most galvanized pipe runs ss40 at the heaviest. Problem is there is a pretty good spread to spec ss40.
So there can be a good difference in wall thickness and it still be ss40. I spent 15 years building commercial chain link. Both as project super and subcontractor
Us mint at fort Worth
Texas motor speedway
Carswell air Force Base
Fort Army reservation
And the list goes on.
I know galvanized pipe. The lower quality and thinner walled pipe is no good. I want at least a quarter wall thickness and prefer 5/16 .
The 1/8to3/16 will bow between the ground and the horizontal. And of course it will also rust away faster.

Now you take to equal post of course the galvanized is better. Better value depends on your climate.
Maybe Shaver can add the hydraulic slide as a kit?

True Grit Farms":137rom4c said:
callmefence":137rom4c said:
True Grit Farms":137rom4c said:

Us mint at fort Worth
Texas motor speedway
Carswell air Force Base
Fort Army reservation
And the list goes on.

Maybe. But I think it's just available in the 10. I'm sure you cut marry the 10 slide to the 12.
We very rarely use it anymore. But I insist on having some sort of backup driver. I'm kinda working towards something that'll drive at Least a 14' post for doing deer fence

callmefence":m0jzkbj6 said:
True Grit Farms":m0jzkbj6 said:
callmefence":m0jzkbj6 said:

Us mint at fort Worth
Texas motor speedway
Carswell air Force Base
Fort Army reservation
And the list goes on.

Maybe. But I think it's just available in the 10. I'm sure you cut marry the 10 slide to the 12.
We very rarely use it anymore. But I insist on having some sort of backup driver. I'm kinda working towards something that'll drive at Least a 14' post for doing deer fence
I've always wondered why folks don't just use the front loader and add hydraulic legs to stabilize the driver. A deer fence is what's in my future plans. I'm looking at driving a piece of elevator pipe as a casing and using the piston as the post. I have a good supply of used pipe, it's just so big I don't know if it's more trouble than it's worth.

True Grit Farms":1ew6443p said:
callmefence":1ew6443p said:
True Grit Farms":1ew6443p said:

I've always wondered why folks don't just use the front loader and add hydraulic legs to stabilize the driver. A deer fence is what's in my future plans. I'm looking at driving a piece of elevator pipe as a casing and using the piston as the post. I have a good supply of used pipe, it's just so big I don't know if it's more trouble than it's worth.

Lol
Ive often wondered why folks in soft bottomless ground using pipe have a driver at all. Just push em in with the loader.

I don't know how big. But use the big pipe for post and buy some 2" for your brace horizontal and diagonals. No copes to cut and way less welding.

You don't want to be cutting and welding 6" copes. Trust me

callmefence":ybc0o8cj said:
fence_it":ybc0o8cj said:

Nice rig.

I find it hard to use an H-beam driver having used the Kinghitter. It is so much easier on the operater, hits harder, and is much easier to get posts level. The independent post cap controlling the post is genius, I don't know why American manufacturers haven't caught on to this. Plus you get the option of a rock spike, really a must in the variable ground conditions around here. We have the 16' model which will drive 14' posts, but they make it in a 12' which will do 10' posts. Folding mast of course but the 12' is supposedly much easier to maneuver and cart around.

We will still be using our side mount Shaver for the small acreage jobs, just because it is so easy to maneuver and can get into tight places (between trees, next to buildings, etc.) that a 16' Kinghitter and 70hp tractor can't. The Kinghitter will be reserved for larger jobs and deer fence. Currently working on fabricating a t-post holder for it.

I wouldn't buy a Kinghitter new though, I believe they run about 25-30k. We picked this one up because it was local, and cheap. If your after a new 3pt driver, I heard there's some guy around here who is a Protech dealer. There pretty comparable. Or used Kinghitter's do pop up from time to time, I know a fella in Nebraska who may have one he would part with, or there is one in Wisconsin on Craigslist.

Anyone used stay tuff 14 gauge high tensile wire? Is is any good? Better than 16 gauge goucho? Considering using it over ok brand 12.5 gauge. It is very close to the same price

callmefence":ufejmg4d said:
Lol
Ive often wondered why folks in soft bottomless ground using pipe have a driver at all. Just push em in with the loader
In my case, it's because the clay ground don't stay soft and bottomless....well, maybe bottomless, but in the good weather months, the top few feet hardens like the proverbial hooker's heart.

callmefence wrote:

New drill pipe is better than most galvanized pipe....
When you say 'drill pipe' are you using production casing or drill pipe like is used on the drilling rigs?
Most common used 4"DP weighs 14lbs/ft and has a wall thickness of just over 5/16.
2-7/8"DP weighs 10.4 lbs/ft and wall thickness of .362 which is almost 3/8".

Production casing is much lighter & thinner unless it was heavyweigt casing.

Latest posts