Feedlot fence line

Help Support CattleToday:

With concrete great idea, without I've tried it and just doesn't work here. I move feeders every bale when it's soft! What do the wife and kids do when your feeding hay once you do that tho?!

NonTypicalCPA":35llxy5f said:
Those are slick setups! I will be trying one of those. Is there any advantage to having the cattle stand on concrete other than not having to fix the indentations that there front feet make? Keep toes worn down?

Yes, the diary research center tried to cheap up and make the feeding setup from gravel and it didn't last 2 years.

It's expensive and be nice though!. I'm 6K in and haven't set the first feeder. The slab is 15x108 5" thick.

I would figure your right stocker Steve. Filter fabric down first will save a lot of headaches. Up here you have to use that or blasted rock first with is 4 inch to 6 inch stone first. Fabric does wonders though

I have used heavy geo fabric and class 5 in corrals and at heated waterers. Need to add a little gravel once in a while, but the combo has held up well.

A neighbor is very conservative - - so he recycles used drywall in his heavy use areas. :cowboy:

For my dry lot where I feed I've had concrete sand hauled in to prevent the spring mud issue. It's the finest particles left when they crush old concrete. It has the consistency of sand, but packs FIRM. The only downfall is that it can be a bit dusty during really dry spells. I highly recommend it if you can find it in your area.

Back to the feeder. I'm finding a local source for 8' feed panels and was wondering if three of them would work to make the above setup with a fourth side using an 8' gate to keep calves from wandering off if they get into the feeder. I'm concerned that 8' would be too wide, but my current round feeder is 8' across so maybe it will work?

shaz":2bvzn3zd said:
NonTypicalCPA":2bvzn3zd said:
Those are slick setups! I will be trying one of those. Is there any advantage to having the cattle stand on concrete other than not having to fix the indentations that there front feet make? Keep toes worn down?

Yes, the diary research center tried to cheap up and make the feeding setup from gravel and it didn't last 2 years.

It's expensive and be nice though!. I'm 6K in and haven't set the first feeder. The slab is 15x108 5" thick.

6k for just the concrete pad?

ddd75":1p0glnjk said:
shaz":1p0glnjk said:
NonTypicalCPA":1p0glnjk said:

That's about right, did you see his specs? 15' X 108' and 5" thick. That's a heck of a pad.

TennesseeTuxedo":25hvc9s0 said:
ddd75":25hvc9s0 said:
shaz":25hvc9s0 said:

That's about right, did you see his specs? 15' X 108' and 5" thick. That's a heck of a pad.

seems pretty expensive. I poured a 50x76 4" thick with 10" deep edges for around 4500. That's just concrete I did the labor.

so 1620 sq ft vs. 3800 sq. ft.

ddd75":1k87k88w said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1k87k88w said:
ddd75":1k87k88w said:

seems pretty expensive. I poured a 50x76 4" thick with 10" deep edges for around 4500. That's just concrete I did the labor.

so 1620 sq ft vs. 3800 sq. ft.

Well labor would run up the cost.

ddd75":1b4b6br0 said:
shaz":1b4b6br0 said:
NonTypicalCPA":1b4b6br0 said:

Yep

Here's my just built 6x6 round bale fence line feeder. I'm worried a bit about hay waste from this small of a size, might had better gone with an 8x8. Time will tell.

Looks nice ntcpa. Maybe just a suggestion.. throw a gate on the back side just in case the hay gets down and a calf gets in there at least you won't have to chase it around the yard. Just coming from experience haha

Latest posts