Favorite Bream Lures

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
I catch my bluegills and shellcrackers on rooster tails, beetle spins, and some of the Rebel lures. What's y'all's favorites?

Great question JT. The #0 or #1 Mepps in a pond. But for river fishing, my favorite is a green or white Spin-Dandy with a cricket or catalpa worm on the hook. A catalpa worm on the hook is best because it'll stay on the hook forever and also seems to draw more strikes, and that's what I use when they're available. The Mepps is as good or better than the spin dandy, but because it has a treble hook and the spin-dandy a single, the Mepps gets hung up a lot in the river.

I use maggots in the Winter and a bit of night crawler in the soft water.

Night crawlers, crickets, grasshoppers or whatever else we can find around the pond banks. The bream in my pond will hit a bare hook. Guess I'm not feeding them enough. The kids love it. :D

When the Brazos is normal, it is about 1 foot deep flowing across the flat. There is an island and the water mostly channels to the east bank in a concentrated stream about 3 foot deep at that locale. It is really swift in that narrow stream. It then slows across a pool about 8 foot deep that runs about 50 yards.

If you cast anything light out in the swift part and let it flow into the pool, you just need to hold back a little tension. You'll catch a lot of sand bass but you also reel in bream, crappie, black bass and an occasional striper. I like the little sand bass rubber jigs. Big tackle doesn't net the sand bass or bream like the little tackle does.

For stock tank (man made ponds for you northern folk) bream fishing, worms are great.

Had a bug light out over the lake once. My nephews were about 6 and 8 years old at the time. We tied flies on string on a pole and they flicked it out all night long. I just sat there in a lawn chair taking fish off of their lines and letting them catch more. They are in their 30's now and they still talk about that night.

I like the tiny roadrunners with a swimmer looking tail. But worms or crickets are hard to beat if you don;t like cating and reeling a lot

When you use the tiny little jigs, can they be fished under a cork of some kind or do they need to be casted and reeled in? I don't like to work too hard when I fish..

Jim62":p1m0nsao said:
When you use the tiny little jigs, can they be fished under a cork of some kind or do they need to be casted and reeled in? I don't like to work too hard when I fish..
I do that with the maribou jigs and just let them set and let the surface chop make them work.

The Bachelor":1hxq3gph said:
Sponge bugs and poppers on a fly rod. I even like that better than trout fishing.

You're not kidding. That's serious fun. My Dad and I used to fly fish for bass and bream when I was a kid. Good times.

skyline":1pc8f5c9 said:
The Bachelor":1pc8f5c9 said:
Sponge bugs and poppers on a fly rod. I even like that better than trout fishing.

You're not kidding. That's serious fun. My Dad and I used to fly fish for bass and bream when I was a kid. Good times.

A couple of years ago I made a fly that looked like a piece of floating catfish food. I'ld chunk out some food and plunk the fly down in the middle of it. A 10 lb cat on a 6 weight flyrod is more fun then should be legal.

I like to use bream killers , popping bugs or crickets on a fly rod.

Does anyone know why bream will not touch a black cricket, but they will tear up a brown one. This always baffled me... :?

Though I have an extremely hard time finding these, my favorite bream lure is a Panther/Martin. I think they sell them nearer to trout waters but they are wonderful for bream.

artificial: black beetle spin with yellow stripes

natural: worms i dig up by the pond in the bullrush

gerardplauche":tx2zw4q6 said:
Does anyone know why bream will not touch a black cricket, but they will tear up a brown one. This always baffled me... :?

Gerald I have no idea but it's true.....I know you can put a catalpa worm on the hook and catch brim as long as you can keep threading that tuff skin back onto the hook.