fav custom cuts

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
When filling out the cutting order when you take a steer in for slaughter, what are your fav custom cuts? For the first time in 40 years, I have a actual fed out steer to slaughter. Of course he was a cull due to a leg injury, but, he's one of our best and looks delish... It will take years for us to eat him, i'll probably give some to the kids. But, its hard to think of all the special cuts, so i'm asking for what you guys fav is...……….. thanks in advance..

Brisket is one of my favorite cuts, along with T-bones. Nothing special about either, though.

I bought my wife a pellet smoker/grill for our anniversary last month, and wish I had done it years ago. If you don't have one, I'd highly recommend it.

Back in the day when the guys filled out the form, i'd get 2 inch thick round steaks, big pikes peak.. I had no idea you had choices until later on. Sometimes I get round steaks, sometimes I just get them put into burger. In the early years, we got no rib eyes... but rather clubs... I've asked around but no one can explain if a club is a rib eye with a bone? Is top sirloin one with a bone or not? So many ways to cut them, its hard to think of everything...

The custom cuts I always get asked for is a tomahawk ribeye, short ribs and oxtails.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
I missed our anniversary but Christmas is coming soon. I bet my wife would appreciate a new grill too.

I'd recommend one of these, can't say a bad thing about them other than the price. Wife fixed scalloped potatoes and brownies in ours last night, everything that we've cooked in ours has been absolutely wonderful.

https://www.traegergrills.com/

cfpinz said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
I missed our anniversary but Christmas is coming soon. I bet my wife would appreciate a new grill too.

I'd recommend one of these, can't say a bad thing about them other than the price. Wife fixed scalloped potatoes and brownies in ours last night, everything that we've cooked in ours has been absolutely wonderful.

https://www.traegergrills.com/

I got a green mountain grill about a year ago. The best thing about it is, the wife can run it! Turn it on, set the temp, and cook!! So we use it all the time. Not to hijack a thread, but I would recommend the "grill grates" brand grates. They really do work for getting a hotter surface for steaks.

cowgal604 said:
The custom cuts I always get asked for is a tomahawk ribeye, short ribs and oxtails.

So you get a extra bone on the tomahawk, what is that bone taken away from? Is it short ribs? I usually don't get the short ribs, I usually have that put into burger. We eat more burger than anything. I cant wait to get some chuck and arm roast... I haven't cooked a pot roast in about 10 years..

cowgal604 said:

Oh and the oxtails, how do you work with that? Is it stew meat? Are there lots of tiny bones in it? I've never asked for the tail, but, I see them cooked on cooking shows. Been curious about cooking tongue... but I dunno

cowgirl8 said:
cowgal604 said:

Oh and the oxtails, how do you work with that? Is it stew meat? Are there lots of tiny bones in it? I've never asked for the tail, but, I see them cooked on cooking shows. Been curious about cooking tongue... but I dunno

The guy we use for butchering the oxtails you actually have to pay extra for because it's a part of the butchering fee. Tail, cheeks, heart, tongue are all a part of the fee. My family is German and they cook it like a short rib in a red wine tomato sauce. I don't eat beef but it smells good! It's also big in Chinese cuisine.

I am not sure what you lose when you go for a tomahawk but it defiantly changes the cuts in the pack. But when I did sell beef I would take the tomahawks out and sell them separately. Sell some tomahawks for $75-$100 each. But we raised ethical beef and people would pay.

I have a 100% boneless cut list for my customers. We get the NY strips and filets packaged separately rather than as T-Bones. Also have them cut the flat iron (make sure they don't cut it wrong and make a blade steak). There is one called the bavette that comes from the bottom of the sirloin that is pretty good. I hate arm roasts and the other shoulder roasts that are full of cartilage and tendons, so we have them make boneless roasts from the biggest muscled shoulder cuts and grind the rest.

sstterry said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I may buy mine a new tractor or a shotgun. I am sure she will enjoy either :hide: :hide:

That's the ticket, like the time I gave my wife a digital meat thermometer.

ohiosteve said:
Definitely the Tri-tip.

I've never heard of the tri-tip.. What would that come off of? Since I've never had it, it must be part of something else...

GoWyo said:
I have a 100% boneless cut list for my customers. We get the NY strips and filets packaged separately rather than as T-Bones. Also have them cut the flat iron (make sure they don't cut it wrong and make a blade steak). There is one called the bavette that comes from the bottom of the sirloin that is pretty good. I hate arm roasts and the other shoulder roasts that are full of cartilage and tendons, so we have them make boneless roasts from the biggest muscled shoulder cuts and grind the rest.

I need you with me when I drop my steer off....lol...

Working at the packing house I always said Ox tail and sweet bread were two of my favorite parts of a beef as for steak I like bone in ribeye

BRYANT said:
Working at the packing house I always said Ox tail and sweet bread were two of my favorite parts of a beef as for steak I like bone in ribeye
Sweet breads...lol.. I saw someone drool over them on a cooking show. SO, the last calf I had processed, I asked our butcher to add those. The look on his face was priceless :secret: . I'm a curious person and since they are never put into the regular processing I asked them if they are not requested, what do they do with them. They said, ''We put them in the trash''.. Now, my sort of lack of trust told me, DO they really or do they sell them to high end restaurants???? I tried these sweet breads and found them to be like eating gristle. Its more a vehicle for fried crust...
I wished the whole steer could be cut into ribeyes…lol.. my fav cut.

Latest posts