Fancy eatin

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Wife and and I were given a gift card to a fancy restaurant, by some very generous guests at our BnB.
We made reservations for today.
Wife got an appetizer, salad, cheeseburger, baked potato and dessert. I got an 8oz filet mignon, with salad and baked potato.
It was advertised as prime beef, and was real good. Mine was the second least expensive steak on the menu at $49.99.
The most expensive steak was a such and such Wagyu ribeye 16oz at $115.99.
I ordered mine medium rare, and it was really good, but I will say if that steak was prime, our home raised Hereford or Angus beef either one is prime or high prime.
My wife said her hamburgers were better than that $20.00 one today.
Her comment was that people have no idea that they can could buy farm finished beef that is just as good or better than you could pay those prices for.
Anyways we ate good thanks to somebody's generosity, it was greatly appreciated. We got to eat at a place that we never would have eaten at.

Wife and and I were given a gift card to a fancy restaurant, by some very generous guests at our BnB.
We made reservations for today.
Wife got an appetizer, salad, cheeseburger, baked potato and dessert. I got an 8oz filet mignon, with salad and baked potato.
It was advertised as prime beef, and was real good. Mine was the second least expensive steak on the menu at $49.99.
The most expensive steak was a such and such Wagyu ribeye 16oz at $115.99.
I ordered mine medium rare, and it was really good, but I will say if that steak was prime, our home raised Hereford or Angus beef either one is prime or high prime.
My wife said her hamburgers were better than that $20.00 one today.
Her comment was that people have no idea that they can could buy farm finished beef that is just as good or better than you could pay those prices for.
Anyways we ate good thanks to somebody's generosity, it was greatly appreciated. We got to eat at a place that we never would have eaten at.
Sounds familiar to my wife and me . Grandkids gave us a gift certificate to a high priced steak place . She refused to go when she heard the prices. Wife , daughter and our granddaughter went to the beach so my son in law and I went to eat . Even with a $100 gift certificate it still cost us around $50 for two steaks , salads and one other side .

Don't go out to eat much at all anymore... and definitely not at any fancy places as I can eat better at home... except for the prep and cleanup...
People always ask me what I eat if I go out to eat...and I tell them seafood... because I have better beef in my freezer than they have in these steak places... I do not have the same access to seafood... so I eat what I do not have at home readily available... You pay through the nose for them to do the prep/cooking/cleanup nowadays... occasionally it is worth having someone else do the work... but that is VERY OCCASIONALLY nowadays.

Don't go out to eat much at all anymore... and definitely not at any fancy places as I can eat better at home... except for the prep and cleanup...
People always ask me what I eat if I go out to eat...and I tell them seafood... because I have better beef in my freezer than they have in these steak places... I do not have the same access to seafood... so I eat what I do not have at home readily available... You pay through the nose for them to do the prep/cooking/cleanup nowadays... occasionally it is worth having someone else do the work... but that is VERY OCCASIONALLY nowadays.
We generally get food to take home after church on Sundays but as far as eating steak or something out, I'd rather grill one of our steaks and drink a few beers while I do so, it's better and cheaper. I figure when we cook steaks and we both drink 3-4 beers each, that would be a $150 meal out somewhere, probably cost us $25- $30 at home and we don't have to decide who don't get to have a beer so they can drive.
There is a Mexican gentleman that sells street tacos and quesadillas in front of a construction business on Sundays, if he's there that's what we get to take home after church. It's the best Mexican food I've ever eaten, we are regulars and he is always happy to see us and usually gives us each a free taco while we wait.

That's how we are, we rarely go out to eat much.
We looked over the menu online and had the conversation before we went about what we were going to order.
Wife seriously considered some kind of fettuccini (not sure how to spell that).
Then she decided since it was a place known for its steaks she probably wouldn't get an Italian dish that she could get somewhere else.
She settled on a hamburger as that's her go to most times. She then got some kind of spinach artichoke dip appetizer and a Sundae made with strawberry cheesecake ice cream and vanilla bourbon ice cream, we figured it didn't have any alcoholic properties at that point and our no alcohol policy would still be intact.
I think a lot like you in that I usually order something that I don't get to eat at home, I've never had lobster so I considered that, I like shrimp too and that was a consideration.
Then I thought well maybe their steaks will be something great being prime and different than we have.
First bite into the steak, I had mixed emotions, it was real good, but at the same time I was let down cause I thought it's pretty much the same as ours except it had more of some kind of seasoning that I think it would have been better without.
After my wife took the first bite of her hamburger, she said ours is better.
I told her when we got to the truck that our steaks are every bit as tender and actually better flavored just on their own.
We must be finishing our beef calves out to prime. So that is good to know that our beef is on par with that of fancy restaurants.

The only 2 restaurants in town just serve average dinner food. Only go out to eat once in a while when nobody feels like cooking. Can make the same omelet, or burger at home better and cheaper.

Haven't been to an expensive steak house type place in forever as there aren't any around here.

My wife and I have always made a point of going out to try places we've heard of by people recommending them. Some have turned out less than excellent and others have been great. We don't mind paying high prices to try a place, but won't return unless the meal is worth what we paid. Some of the best are: Jakes in Deadwood, SD, which is no longer operating. The Gold Hill Inn below Virginia City, NV (Awesome bleu cheese escargot). Currents in downtown SLC, Utah. The Chart House at South Lake Tahoe.

The one I would be most likely to revisit would be the the Gold Hill Inn. They have a very impressive menu with a lot of exotic entrees. Alligator, ostrich, elk, beef wellington, etc. and I'd like to try them all considering the quality of what I have tried.

IMO, people often make the mistake of ordering what they eat at home and then when they get something that tastes "different" they will too often think their home cooking is better because it's what they are used to eating.

We have our own beef so we eat pretty good lots of times at home. We have laying hens so we eat a lot eggs.
I try to raise a garden too.
It's so expensive to eat out we try not to do that much.
Our town doesn't really have a lot of options outside of fast food chains and Mexican restaurants.
So usually eating out on locally for us is at a Mexican restaurant.
There is a pretty good bar and grill place that has good steaks and other things but lots of times the bar scene is the happening thing there which we are not fond of. Also it's just a couple doors down from a homeless shelter, and the location just isn't grand.
Usually we go to Lexington if we want something more than fast food or Mexican food. Texas Roadhouse is our usual destination. I get grilled pork chops there, because my wife doesn't like pork other than bacon, sausage, and city ham. The tell her she ain't Appalachian.
Pork was the mainstay for folks around here,

Latest posts