Ever seen one of these ?

Help Support CattleToday:

That is the most heavily marbled NY strip steak that I've ever seen.
For me it's too much marbling, I like some fat with my steak and with that one I would have some steak with my fat.
I do find it interesting how much difference can be made in carcass merit mainly through genetics. I would love to be on the selling end of the transaction getting those prices.

I just found it interesting.
I never even knew there was such a thing as taking a cattle nose print.
But in Japan they take their cattle very seriously..... And why wouldn't they, when you can sell A5 Jap wagyu for $100 a pound. View attachment 26028
Considering the amount of marbling you'd think they could trim it a little better.

That is the most heavily marbled NY strip steak that I've ever seen.
For me it's too much marbling, I like some fat with my steak and with that one I would have some steak with my fat.
I do find it interesting how much difference can be made in carcass merit mainly through genetics. I would love to be on the selling end of the transaction getting those prices.
FYI: The effect of the artificial environment has as much effect as the genetics. Try this same animal on straight grass finishing.

One time I took a heifer to the slaughterhouse, owner called me, asked what was I doing with her? I had the meat sold, just waiting on him to package it. She's too fat, you can't sell it he said. I drove up to look, carcass looked like that picture. So we ate her, had a lot of grease fires on the grill, and took another beef in for customers. That heifer looked no different on the outside, I had no idea. Pure angus, and I haven't had another like her since, that I know of anyway.

edited to add. County fairs around here have been noseprinting calves for quite some time. One fair used to freeze brand, rumor was there were three SC irons, some folks take winning pretty seriously.

Last edited:
I'd probly have to have someone who knows more than me cook it!

Ruin a steak like that and it'll be a sad sad day
Can't screw that up. Cook the Japanese way. 30 seconds on each side with a red hot grill and serve. You have to keep your fork in the steak at all times so it doesn't get up and run away

Considering the amount of marbling you'd think they could trim it a little better.
Where would u stop trimming? Kidding.lol besides gotta get as much of that $100/lb as possible.🥩

In a meat science course back in college, professor would buy a couple pounds from Japan for the class to try. It was sliced thin (like a deli sammich) and cooked in a hotpot. Said it was the norm.🤷‍♂️. Pretty rich flavor from what i recall.

Where would u stop trimming? Kidding.lol besides gotta get as much of that $100/lb as possible.🥩

In a meat science course back in college, professor would buy a couple pounds from Japan for the class to try. It was sliced thin (like a deli sammich) and cooked in a hotpot. Said it was the norm.🤷‍♂️. Pretty rich flavor from what i recall.
At my school they ran a taste and cutability test on the major breeds at the time, including dairy. The Jersey won on both counts in a blindfold evaluation. In the butchering class the Holstein had the largest ribeye and an angus the smallest.

I'd like to try Wagyu but won't pay those prices.

There is no way I would eat that!
I totally agree! I like my meat marbled - but I like to have more red meat than white fat. People have a way of always ruining a good thing. Just because marbling has been proven to provide a tender eating experience, doesn't mean we need THAT much marbling.

Last edited:
Yes A5 Japanese Wagyu is not for me. However the Japanese don't eat steak like Americans do. They cut thin small pieces and sear it only.
Years ago before we started Wagyu I started buying full blood Wagyu steaks online from all over the USA.
My wife and I would invite friends over and try out steaks.
The results were not good. 3 out of 4 very large ranches we're no better than good prime. I even called 1 ranch after we had eaten them and asked if it was full blood or a cross. They got offended. I sent them pictures of the steaks I've received.
All Wagyu is not the same. It varies a tremendous amount. Especially the crosses. Some people don't do enough research and end up with very little marbling but hugh tough ribeyes etc.

Latest posts