Encouraging cattle to go through the headgate?

Help Support CattleToday:

canoetrpr

Reaction score
I've got my chute setup with two panels at each end to 'funnel' the animal that I am working into it. I use a gate I have mounted on a post to crowd the animal into the 'funnel'.

Most of the time my setup works quite well. I get my cows to come into my holding pen every so often for a bit of grain and I leave the chute open so that they can get out through it on their own. They get the idea that that is the way out of the pen.

When I have to work them, every so often I get one who is happy to walk into the chute but does not want to go through the head-gate. They walk in and I shut the rear gate behind them so they can't back out. However she/he does not want to put their head through the head-gate. Even after me trying to twist their tail to encourage some forward motion. I guess after a couple of experiences, they figure out it's not a great idea.

Any ideas on what I can do to encourage my cows / calves to put their head through the gate? (I've tried bribing them with grain but it does not work)

I apologize if this sounds really silly but I can use all the practical advise I can get.

Or a large hotstick :) A quick buzz is better for the cow than beatin on em and twisting their tail IMO

I use a hotshot also. Much better for the cow than beating it and it doesn't take much .only use it when you have to . Not on every cow just the ones that don't cooperate.

If you can reach their head, stick your thumb and a finger in their nose and pull. That usually gets their attention.
Sounds like I need to get a hotshot.

poke the back of their legs or dig at thier feet with a good stick..itll git em to move a bit..also if the catch is open til the last sec its easier

highgrit":1wyqxln4 said:
If you can reach their head, stick your thumb and a finger in their nose and pull. That usually gets their attention.

That'd be a good way to get your arm broke too.

use the hotshot its quicker an safer.all you have todo is touch most cows with it an they move,without turning it on.or hold it up an buzz it an they will move.

randiliana":37qa9htf said:
highgrit":37qa9htf said:

That'd be a good way to get your arm broke too.

10-4 on dat..i never reach thru the panels ..use a post or a stick ..hotshot..whatever...

a 12yr old Border Collie bytch with wore out teeth loads em better than anything I have ever seen. One quick nip to the flank and they are right there. :lol2:

I m going broke rewarding her in dog biscuits tho. :nod:

I have a hot shot but I have not used it for a couple years.

Sometimes you can work them right in the chute, then again sometimes they go a little crazy. I reprimand the crazy ones that try to climb out of the chute and ship them if they are slow learners.

Key things are to having solid chute sides and keeping anyone working a manual head gate out of sight. A couple of tarps over those panels will make a world of difference.

The way my chute is built I can put a piece of pipe across it behind them and keep moving it up to put pressure on their butt. That usually encourages them forward. Make sure the headgate operator (if there is one) is as far away from the opening as the can get. If you are giving shots, squeeze them down a little and get started. If their butt is against the rear gate, they can't back up, so they'll either stand still or move forward. You win either way.

Never let them back out once they are in. They need to know the only exit is through the headgate.

jkwilson":1t14ab4w said:
The way my chute is built I can put a piece of pipe across it behind them and keep moving it up to put pressure on their butt. That usually encourages them forward. Make sure the headgate operator (if there is one) is as far away from the opening as the can get. If you are giving shots, squeeze them down a little and get started. If their butt is against the rear gate, they can't back up, so they'll either stand still or move forward. You win either way.

Never let them back out once they are in. They need to know the only exit is through the headgate.
well id love to see you shove some of my cows in the squeeze using a pipe behind them,because that aint happening.my neohew is 6`4 an about 240 an he has trouble shoving them up the ally.an puts his feet firmly on their rears an they move if they want to.

Well anyone with a brain, never puts their arm between anything while working cattle. The question was through the head gate, not the shoot. Most of the time you can talk them through, and just be patient and stand behind their shoulder.

Any time you put your arm through the headgate or bars of the chute to encourage an animal through it you risk getting hurt. What happens if she throws her head when you have a hold of her? Stick your arm through the side bars to prod them, all they have to do is shift their weight to hurt you. Sure they aren't trying to do it, but 1200 lbs of cow doesn't have to try very hard.

When we work ours as they head through the chutte we use the pour on and typically they go into the head catch. I give mine vaccines while they stand there. typically I don't even have to catch them by the head. I also give them a little bribe with sweet feed if I do have to catch them and that works well. They smell the feed and stick their heads through and look at you like I am ready. The ones that balk get a little encouragement with a hand held shocker but I am very judicous in its application. I try to never have the cows associate the chutte with pain.

I don't shove them. I just move it forward every time the give any at all. It keeps pressure on them. I'm too old and sore to get in a shoving match with something more hard headed than me. I wait 'em out!

Jogeephus":3w6zcmpo said:
I like the big long yellow ones myself. Cows tend to understand this method of reasoning.

Yep I have one of those myself. But rarely have to use it(exept to get the wife out of bed every morning) :lol:
Seems we had a discussion of thesethings a couple years or so ago.Some of the members thought that was the cruelist thing in the world.
Well I very seldom have to use one at all. But if I'm running a bunch of cattle through the squeeze to work them I aint gonna twist tails,beat holler and cuss and hold up the works just because one old cow decides to be a little stuborn.A little zap and a whole new attitude adjustment and everything gets back to normal.

Cal

Latest posts