Dumb and dead

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":2rxjzlnl said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2rxjzlnl said:
Note to self, never rope a cow or large calf unless absolutely necessary.

:cboy:

Just use reverse psycology. If you want the cow to go north, try pulling south. Let it "drag" you north. It will actually drag you right in to the pens you want them in.

I have noticed in my rather limited experience with cattle that if you want them in the barn, leave the door open about 12-18 inches and go to the house for a quick bite of lunch and when you return that's where they will be.

I also noticed that when you don't want them in the barn all you have to do is leave the door open 12-18 inches and go to the house for a quick bite of lunch and....

heath":14jqa4ij said:
angie":14jqa4ij said:
hooknline":14jqa4ij said:
I can tell when someone's trying to be funny and also when someone's just tryin to make an underhanded jab. I appreciate constructive criticism. The angry one achieved neither. Just a hit and run
Perhaps it feels like that hook, and I apologize if it does. It is not my intention nor my history at any other time on here in the past 7 years to be mean for the sake of being mean. I am legitimately opposed to the way you manage your cattle, this does not mean it is wrong, it means I believe it is wrong as opposed to just different. I do however realize that they are yours to manage however you want. From what I have observed, you have not taken criticism in the past and used it to make decisions therefore I have no reason to believe that anything I have to say will be anything more than a waste of your time and mine. I will leave you be. If it is redeeming at all ~ good call on the insurance! :tiphat:
Exactly what part are you opposed to?

I'm not Angie and this post is more for hook than anyone else. As for my "oh yea" comment, this is my problems with what happened. You can't watch you cows because they are too far away, you had one struggle in the mud for probably many hours until it died of exhaustion, no one there to take care of the cattle. A second down because no one to watch it, what happens when calving season comes along? Next you claim to rope the cow from a 4 wheeler with someone else driving, with a 1000 lb animal on the other end of the rope and two lives at risk, bad move.

That is my comments for what it's worth, I don't know if your "hit and run" was at me but it's my opinion. I will not get into a war of posts, just take care of your cattle. Some cattle die in bogs but it shouldn't be because you don't have time to look after them. How long do you think it took that cow to die stuck belly deep in mud? Yea, it bugs me, lots of good your insurance did that cow fighting the mud because no one was there.

Who said the 2nd was down,Alan. I just said it was sick.
Second, out of everyone here, raise your hands if you've ever had one die that in hindsight you could have prevented some how. How bout you Alan, ever have one die that you could have prevented? Go back to babysitting your cows and let your significant other handle the sack. How would you have controlled one sick cow on 200 acres of thick stuff at the most extreme end of the facility to treat it? Was it ideal, no. Is the cow alive and treated. Yep. You tell me how you would have done it better. Ill wait on baited breath for your response.

hooknline":5jpy766i said:
Who said the 2nd was down,Alan. I just said it was sick.
Second, out of everyone here, raise your hands if you've ever had one die that in hindsight you could have prevented some how. How bout you Alan, ever have one die that you could have prevented? Go back to babysitting your cows and let your significant other handle the sack. How would you have controlled one sick cow on 200 acres of thick stuff at the most extreme end of the facility to treat it? Was it ideal, no. Is the cow alive and treated. Yep. You tell me how you would have done it better. Ill wait on baited breath for your response.

Never had a cow die yet, knock on wood, I know it happens, I try to cull before they get to that point. With luck never because it was stuck in the mud for too long. Lost a very few calves before, due to neighbor dogs, hard births, etc.,but as of yet no cows. My point is you lost a cow that struggled in the mud because you have a place your not close enough to watch. So my hand is up.

Must be nice to have land you can watch all day. Land here being 18k an acre, I have to lease it. Wherever I can get it. Even if its an hour away. Not many cattlemen left here because the land is so expensive. Guess I should just give up huh.
What keeps me going is learning what i can until I can move where land is affordable, teaching my son what I can so he has some real skills to live with whatever he decides to do as an adult.

Everyone keeps saying farming is dying. Maybe because its too far away, too hard of work, maybe because one cow died and it could have been prevented somehow. Maybe because things change and those trying to learn keep getting told theyre doing it wrong.
huh Alan. Why do you think farming life is dying?

Farming is dying because land is worth more than cows. I just don't understand an animal suffering because someone can't keep an eye on it. I have said that three times, nuff said and no hard feelings.

TennesseeTuxedo":33u6bxjv said:
We had one simply drop dead in January not 400 yards from the house within a 25 acre paddock. We have no idea why a seemingly healthy 4-5 year old Angus cow would suddenly expire like that.

Cattle and horses just die sometimes. I had one do the same last month. Just died about 20 yards from the hay ring and 50 yards from water. No sign of sickness or nothing. Just laid down and died. Then I had a little incident with some lightning a few months ago. I learned lightning does a very poor job of culling your herd. This is why I'd like to find out who Hook has his insurance with cause I'd like to have a $250 insurance policy that would cover these losses.

Someone here posted that they had one die from getting their head caught in some implement. I dont remember who and I don't recall anyone bustin their balls. I guarantee that animal suffered.
I do what I can within the constraints I have to work with. If you think you can do better, ill put you up for as long as you wish to show me how much better you'd do. Goes for anyone here.

Jo, insurance is with the Hartford group. Agent is in chief land fl, and I can send you his info if you'd like. If I rember right it's 250 for up to 100 hd. And roughly 2/hd after that inducing calves. 500.00 deductible per occurrence and they require vet sign off on 10% of losses of 10 or more and 100% sign off on losses of less than 10.

It is, if the vet will sign off. Waiting to hear back.
Calving, owners dogs, gunshots by owners or reps, are not covered. Sink holes are if you can verify who sank?????

Jogeephus":uf9soq8b said:
TennesseeTuxedo":uf9soq8b said:
We had one simply drop dead in January not 400 yards from the house within a 25 acre paddock. We have no idea why a seemingly healthy 4-5 year old Angus cow would suddenly expire like that.

Cattle and horses just die sometimes. I had one do the same last month. Just died about 20 yards from the hay ring and 50 yards from water. No sign of sickness or nothing. Just laid down and died. Then I had a little incident with some lightning a few months ago. I learned lightning does a very poor job of culling your herd. This is why I'd like to find out who Hook has his insurance with cause I'd like to have a $250 insurance policy that would cover these losses.

Jo, okay one last point to make. I know that animals, like people, just drop dead too early in life with no reason, lucky that has not happened to me ..... yet. I also I remember the lightening on your cattle, again it's lucky that here in the Northwest we don't deal with much lightening ... it's been years since I remember seeing lightening. For folks that deal with lightening insurance may be a good idea.

Alan":1o4qmgfj said:
Jogeephus":1o4qmgfj said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1o4qmgfj said:

Jo, okay one last point to make. I know that animals, like people, just drop dead too early in life with no reason, lucky that has not happened to me ..... yet. I also I remember the lightening on your cattle, again it's lucky that here in the Northwest we don't deal with much lightening ... it's been years since I remember seeing lightening. For folks that deal with lightening insurance may be a good idea.
Alan, your points are more like a extremely dull butter knife. Well used and pointless

All of you beating up on hook must hate my sorry guts. :lol: My country gets boggy about two months a year and you can't even tell where its at and I have cows that I don't see more than a few times a year. If they don't show up I just assume that there's a 50/50 chance that they died. About the third time that I miss them I consider them dead. The majority of the cattle in this country are raised that way.
Hook, I think you've done fantastic. You fenced off one problem and you risked life and limb to fix the other one. I've roped them on a tractor that could hold them but I wouldn't have tried the quad and tree deal. ;-) You'd lose money pretty fast trying to see those cows every day and micromanage them. You're doing it right by fixing problems when you see them and stay out the rest of the time.

You're right, a cow stuck in the mud until it dies of exhaustion because you couldn't watch it is just like a cow being hit by lightening. Both cases death could not be prevented. :roll:

I'll try to shut up now, but I have never been good at it.

One could have and now is. When do you stop leading the charge from the rear Alan?

cow pollinater":3sd5kkp1 said:
All of you beating up on hook must hate my sorry guts. :lol: My country gets boggy about two months a year and you can't even tell where its at and I have cows that I don't see more than a few times a year. If they don't show up I just assume that there's a 50/50 chance that they died. About the third time that I miss them I consider them dead. The majority of the cattle in this country are raised that way.
Hook, I think you've done fantastic. You fenced off one problem and you risked life and limb to fix the other one. I've roped them on a tractor that could hold them but I wouldn't have tried the quad and tree deal. ;-) You'd lose money pretty fast trying to see those cows every day and micromanage them. You're doing it right by fixing problems when you see them and stay out the rest of the time.
I live in the same country as you do, I am certain that the majority of the cattle are not raised with neglect such as this mans cattle are. Maybe you do it that way and he also does but it in no way is a majority.

alohacattle":3c0r6qlx said:
cow pollinater":3c0r6qlx said:
I live in the same country as you do, I am certain that the majority of the cattle are not raised with neglect such as this mans cattle are. Maybe you do it that way and he also does but it in no way is a majority.
I thought you lived in Hawaii? And how many names do you have inbred?

hooknline":2e3zfylr said:
alohacattle":2e3zfylr said:
cow pollinater":2e3zfylr said:
I thought you lived in Hawaii? And how many names do you have inbred?

I can't see what he writes unless someone qutes him but for clarity I meant in my particular geographical area by "this country" but the same is true for much of the west.

Latest posts