Dug potatoes today ahead of Irma....

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
.....and had over 40 5 gallon buckets full from 50 lb. bag of seed potatoes.

About every 5' I was getting it seems about a 5 gallon bucket full. A good year for a garden as my potato bin is full, freezer is full, shelves are full, etc.

jdDwJzS.jpg

Fiex3to.jpg

1noVAYf.jpg

BQBhchj.jpg

kenny thomas":2gttunwe said:
Anyone with a garden that clean has way too much time on his hands.
Oh, and,forget,the potatoes, I,will take the 50
After bout 5 hours picking up potatoes I didn't have to much time on my hands yesterday. :lol:

Good potato year here, but did not yield quite as heavy as yours. Nice big smooth potatoes, especially the Kennebecs, our most dependable producer.
I usually grow Red Pontiacs, Yukon Golds and Kennebecs. What kind is yours? They look a little like Pontiacs.

Good potato year here, but did not yield quite as heavy as yours. Nice big smooth potatoes, especially the Kennebecs, our most dependable producer.
I usually grow Red Pontiacs, Yukon Golds and Kennebecs. What kind is yours? They look a little like Pontiacs.
I usually grow Red Pontiacs, and Kennebecs. This year mine did not come up good and I had to replant some areas. Getting good seed potatoes is very important. What I have dug so far is nice. Next week If it dries up, I will be digging mine.

Due to the deer and groundhog problems last year, I grew alot more potatoes this year... wanted to try to "make a little back" off the garden and so I have 15 different varieties...... planted very late unfortunately due to waiting on the garden to get tilled... I got these from Fedco seeds and it was more for a comparison fun thing... I don't eat alot of potatoes anyway... but I do eat some. I got the 2 lb "trial type" bags of each variety I tried, and each planted about a 6-10 row... some had more eyes than others.. and there were alot more of the fingerlings per 2 lb bag than the big ones... The fingerlings are great for just making "early" boiled potatoes with a little butter salt and pepper... and they are very good tasting. Plus I think they will sell good for the "novelty", at the market.
I get tired of the same 'ole, same 'ole, but I did put in 5 lbs of Red Pontiac early, and also put in all that I had, that had sprouted, so interested to see what they did... I was running out of room and they got planted way too close together.. but hey, they grew even getting in last, so we'll see...
So, I thought, why not... Yes, it costs alot more to get small quantities of potatoes... but I had fun with it. There are still some that are fairly green and growing... some that are "early varieties" that the vines are totally dead. I will be digging them and recording the yields per variety for my own information... and seeing if I like some more than others.
There are different colors... one variety has spots on the skin... looks like big polka dots... and one of the fingerlings is red all the way through...many have yellow flesh and are very good as new boiled potatoes. I have been stealing some from the hills to eat during the summer...

There is a small farmers market just down the road that I will go to and see what I can sell... If I get back the money I have in the seed potatoes and enough left here for me to eat, I am happy. I did get enough green beans this year to freeze, and tomatoes are finally doing pretty good. Got a few cantaloupes coming along and cucumbers. Had some yellow squash and just put some in the freezer... I like to mash it like mashing potatoes and it is a good way to use the ones that start to get a little big.
Still fighting the varmints... trapped 2 coons, 3 possums and 4 ground hogs early on in the live trap and there is one big very smart ground hog that I have seen in the garden once and have not been able to trap... and there are tomatoes and the butternut squash that have gnawed marks in them so I know it is still getting into it.

I am waiting for the ground to soften a bit... we did get a little rain so the ground is better... I am in no rush to dig them.

I hope you sell enough to make back your seed investment AND be able to go out and treat yourself to a quality steak you didn't have to raise or cook!!

One of the joys of old age is to grow enough garden to have enough to share with the kids and grand kids (even when they are less excited about it than you are). Even for those growing up on the farm, kids today just do not have the time to prepare and cook fresh produce.
Sweet corn, tomatoes and potatoes I find the easiest to pawn off on them.
We just had the calf processed whose shoulder was hurt at birth. Delicious and tender, but at its young age, lacking the taste of fully mature beef. Still it filled our freezer and the freezers of my daughter and my Mom's, and was welcome.

Thanks @greybeard ... but I do not eat beef out. Never is as good as homegrown... well, take that back, had some prime rib a couple years ago that was pretty good... but I eat seafood 99% of the time, when I go out since I do not grow it....

I just picked 8 small ( large grapefruit sized) cantaloupes ... some variety I tried ... got to look and see the name... They are GOOD....Ah, Minnesota Midget.... have to grow them again next year... I will cut and freeze to eat this winter... good size for a single person.... or 2 halves as an "appetizer"...

I buy only Pecos cantaloupes now. They are large and if I ever wanted an addiction, it would be them.

My father back in E Texas used to save seeds from Pecos cantaloupes but they never got as good as the ones you could buy. Turns out, it isn't the genetics, it's the soil in Pecos county. High in potassium salts and it makes them grow larger, sweeter and jucier.
You can look them up on the internet.

I never thought about freezing them. How do you do it?

Last edited:
I take the seeds out, peel it, cut into chunks, put on a cookie tray on wax paper or saran wrap(just makes it easier to get off the tray)...put in freezer and leave for about 2 hours to get fairly hard, then bag and freeze. I use vacuum bags; gotta be quick to do them and get them back in the freezer so they don't stick together... and vacuum bags work best if the product is harder so it doesn't squish it, and they are not too "wet or juicy"... They are best if eaten just as they are thawing... they will get a little soft when fully thawed... but it sure is nice to have something sweet like that and I can take them just a little soft if they are just really really cold.

My mom used to freeze them using one of those "melon ball" scoops... she would add them to canned fruit cocktail... made the fruit cocktail colder as they thawed and it was good eating for something sweet that was not "junk food"...

Just like the Vidalia onions for the taste, I guess that is how the Pecos cantaloupes are, too... dependent on the soil that they are grown in...

The best cantaloupes I ever grew were in the garden that I had kept the pigs in the year before... They had really "tilled up" the soil... and composted all the leaves and mulch and everything... and I guess the manure really made it fertile...

When I do my green beans, I drain good then put in a salad spinner to get more water off... then I use the manual thing so it vacuums out most all the air but before it starts sucking all the moisture out and hit the seal button..... or it won't seal right if there is too much moisture that gets sucked into the little chamber.

Lots of web sites for freezing cantaloupe...

Thank You! Going to get some extra today to try to freeze. May be less than perfect since these have always been pretty soft and juicy right from the store.
IF, I could drive that far, I'd go over to Coyanosa in Pecos County and buy them a little less ripe right from the road side stand. It's pretty much a desert out there. Hot and dry EVERY year, not just drought years.

You can learn aboout Pecos cantaloupes here

https://texascooppower.com/the-truth-about-pecos-cantaloupes/

Latest posts